NameSilo

question Why are hundreds of thousands of Quality Domain's not sold?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
I've been at the domain game now about two years, and while that's given me time to accumulate about a thousand quality domains (told by NP brothers and sisters), the sell through rate is absolutely deplorable.

A lot of domainers like to compare the domain industry to the real estate industry, but there's no comparison imho. Why do you think the real estate industry, the insurance industry, the automobile industry, the financial services industry spend Billions (not millions) of dollars every year to sell their products/services?

It's pretty obvious that even quality domains don't sell themselves, thus if you're going to make it in this business you better learn how to market/sell your own domains or find someone who can.

The days of only "inbound" marketing doesn't work for most domainers, and it never will. Not having an "outbound" strategy is a lot like not having an offensive strategy in team sports. Can you imagine relying on your defense to score all your goals/points?

The point of this thread......there has to be a better way? and just like I know I have a portfolio consisting of quality domains, I know there's a better way to sell domains. I started a thread a few day ago based on the following Podcast; https://domainnamewire.com/2020/01/13/saw-com-dnw-podcast-268/ but few NP members noticed it:xf.frown: However, one key and influential member Rob Monster of Epik noticed it immediately. The thread had everything to do with "outbound" strategy recognized by the founders of Saw.com when they referred to "Smiling and Dialing" and "Dialing for Dollars" as keys for their success.

I've reached out to help the founders of Saw.com, but apparently they don't need my help, or somehow they feel threatened by me:xf.confused:...that's their choice. NP members, help me help them by sharing your thoughts(y) It's time we went on OFFENSE!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Why are hundreds of thousands of Quality Domain's not sold?

cuz u can reg a good dawt com for $7.99

That's true...do you hand reg like me? I'm learning more and more everyday about the industry that's hidden in plain sight. Mike Mann who was the founder of BuyDomains puts this on his Linkedin bio, and I'll let you be the judge if Mike isn't one of the "hoarders" Versisign was talking about. He may be a nice guy, but I'm sure he views me as the enemy. Enjoy!
Know thine enemy
  • Published on May 12, 2018
  • Founder of fabulous cloud corporations Phone.com, DomainMarket.com & SEO.com; Author: MakeMillions.com
"Understand the enemy."

"When the enemy is relaxed, make them toil. When full, starve them. When settled, make them move."

"In conflict, straightforward actions generally lead to engagement, surprising actions generally lead to victory."

“Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle ... . They conquer by strategy."

“Know the enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles you will never be in peril. When you are ignorant of the enemy, but know yourself, your chances of winning or losing are equal. If ignorant both of your enemy and yourself, you are certain in every battle to be in peril."

“In war, numbers alone confer no advantage."

“To ... not prepare is the greatest of crimes; to be prepared beforehand for any contingency is the greatest of virtues."

“What is of the greatest importance in war is extraordinary speed: One cannot afford to neglect opportunity."

“The general must be first in the toils and fatigues of the army. In the heat of summer he does not spread his parasol, nor in the cold of winter don thick clothing ... . He waits until the army's wells have been dug and only then drinks; until the army's food is cooked before he eats; until the army's fortifications have been completed, to shelter himself."

“A sovereign of high character and intelligence must be able to know the right man, should place the responsibility on him, and expect results."

“If an enemy has alliances, the problem is grave and the enemy's position strong; if he has no alliances, the problem is minor and the enemy's position weak."

•••

Last edited:
•••
Thanks BrandCollectors....I probably misnamed this thread...it probably should have read; "Why are Millions of Quality Domains not sold? According to Verisign, a handful of "brokers" hold a million plus themselves in their respective portfolios. Then there are millions more that haven't even been thought of yet, but they're out there for the taking(y). I picked up three more quality:xf.wink: domains just an hour ago..

•••
The days of only "inbound" marketing doesn't work for most domainers, and it never will. Not having an "outbound" strategy is a lot like not having an offensive strategy in team sports. Can you imagine relying on your defense to score all your goals/points?

Completely agree - the ability to sell and make a strong business case for a domain will always improve the odds of selling it. I personally think that it can help to be an all rounder in digital marketing that understands online business models, such that you can spot ways of using a domain that others wouldn't have thought of. I've always enjoyed researching end-users, doing the thinking work for them in terms of how it can be used and approaching directly. Each to their own methods, as long as they work for you. All the best.

•••
Domain industry is like the early Insurance Industry: people did not know it exists, did not think there is a need, did not understand its values.

There should be an awareness campaign in traditional media to educate and inform the general public.

Last edited:
•••
Completely agree - the ability to sell and make a strong business case for a domain will always improve the odds of selling it. I personally think that it can help to be an all rounder in digital marketing that understands online business models, such that you can spot ways of using a domain that others wouldn't have thought of. I've always enjoyed researching end-users, doing the thinking work for them in terms of how it can be used and approaching directly. Each to their own methods, as long as they work for you. All the best.
Thanks...you have a pretty unique perspective similar to mine. Most of the domains I register contemplate a business behind the name. I know this isn't the way traditional domainers do it, but who wants to be traditional:xf.wink:. I see you're in Germany and ironically I just registered a two word domain, first word French and the Second word German...send me a DM and I'll share it with you. Cheers!

•••
I see you're in Germany and ironically I just registered a two word domain, first word French and the Second word German...send me a DM and I'll share it with you. Cheers!
Thanks, yes, seems so! Indeed, I alternate between here, the UK and Canaries :) Sure, not particularly looking for .de right now but will take a look. Cheers

•••
Self dropped domain = bad domain , whatever its extension

•••
While one can, with various assumptions, calculate sell-through rates.

I wonder what fraction of domain names held today will never sell - i.e. will go unsold for a number of years, be dropped, and if picked up again, will go unsold again. Anyone see an attempt to calculate it? If so please provide the link.

I did some calculations for the book, Bob,
The .COM had 64.24% with zero reregistrations. The .NET had 68.23% zero reregs and the .ORG had 75.22% zero reregs. This was calculated by taking all new registrations in a year and looking for subsequent deletion/reregistration activity and counting the numbers and %s of reregs. It is not as accurate an estimate as the registry data but it shows the kind of that should be present in these gTLDs. The .ORG is almost ccTLD like in the way that people register their domain names and keep renewing them. The .COM is quite volatile.

Some registrars knock domain names out of the zone files when they expire and then transfer them to their auction partners where they can pop up again as new registrations. There are also particular sets of domain names that are repeatedly targeted for reregistrations and they tend to be typosquats or similar.

The problem with trying to calculate these percentages is that domaining is only part of the market and natural attrition (businesses ceasing operations etc) accounts for a large part of the deletions. Then there are the discounting offers which can be one year wonders which pop up again on registrars running a new discounting promotion. Some of the larger registrars have tried to move away from discounting by making sure that the registrant is locked into a golden handcuffs deal with the second year fee being more expensive than an ordinary registration. The discounted promotions cause a cyclical effect with some of the larger hosters in that the pre-Christmas promos are always followed by a larger than usual set of deletions in April/May the following year.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Reason is that it's overpriced, and when offer comes, you still want to be greedy and reject when you can make good gains and move on. Again, enduser see other good extensions for reg fee and take it, leaving you to keep holding it. Then when you have limited end users with high price, you hold it until you grow old.

•••
Reason is that it's overpriced, and when offer comes, you still want to be greedy and reject when you can make good gains and move on. Again, enduser see other good extensions for reg fee and take it, leaving you to keep holding it. Then when you have limited end users with high price, you hold it until you grow old.

You have been here 4 months and you are an expert on end user pricing and what is greedy? Worry about your prices not other people’s prices.

Names remain unsold for many reasons beyond price. Even very good names can take quite awhile. Maybe we aren’t greedy— maybe you are just impatient. Every newcomer thinks their great idea will sell at lightning speed. That is not usually how it works.

•••
You have been here 4 months and you are an expert on end user pricing and what is greedy? Worry about your prices not other people’s prices.

Names remain unsold for many reasons beyond price. Even very good names can take quite awhile. Maybe we aren’t greedy— maybe you are just impatient. Every newcomer thinks their great idea will sell at lightning speed. That is not usually how it works.
You may be right in your opinion but my numbers of year here doesn't matter. I have been around for many years, but lost my old account.
So I say it as my opinion and as what I noticed. Some good names do not meet buyers budget especially those with little end users that may see cheaper alternatives as I said. So don't get me wrong. Have a nice day.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back