Dynadot

question Why a good domain name won't receive offers ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MHExplorer

Established Member
Impact
Hi everyone.

Let's say there is a very good domain name, which does have value. So question is not about bad domains or if domain is good for others or not. Please assume, it is very good domain name.

Now on afternic, or uniregistry, why wouldn't i even receive a offer yet ?

Is it because some details in account are missing like payment/bank details ? Does it matter ?

Or the asking price is too high ?

Please advice. And please assume that domain names are great. What are the other reasons for not receiving offers there.

Thanks alot.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sometimes we fell in love with our domains and we are blinded. Remember that value is often subjective. That being said, it's very hard to give an opinion unless you tell us the domain.

If in any case you have something like Insurance .com, then you'll just have to be patient :)

Great names sell themselves.

•••
Beauty lies in the eyes of beholder!

If your name is really "great", then keep renewing! Eventually it will sell for good price.

Last edited:
•••
sometimes people with all the submit buttons and accept this and that, have become very timid about what they go after. It justs takes some time that you might not have with that particular subject and you are wondering if it will sell before time is up on that one domain. Do your research not only on the domain, but whether you have time to hold it also. ty. :)

•••
I agree with you. I have good domains too, on Sedo traffic and offer views every day but no sales, no offers. I even set price low as 50 usd and no sales. WHY?
Maybe that my Sedo sales indicator is empty? Does it matter?

•••
I agree with you. I have good domains too, on Sedo traffic and offer views every day but no sales, no offers. I even set price low as 50 usd and no sales. WHY?
Maybe that my Sedo sales indicator is empty? Does it matter?
They may be bot traffic and not real users

•••
Most potential buyers view domains as something which should cost $XX so when it is priced higher, they often add another word, extra characters, hyphens or use one of hundreds of new extensions to keep the cost below $60. While domain investors are taught by the registries that domains are internet real estate, if you look at the domains many businesses use, it is obvious many end users do not view domains in the same light. I n my local market I see TV ads for CreditKarma and WeBuyAnyCar and think - I have some domains in my portfolio which are better than those yet how how much money do they spend advertising those reg fee domains?

•••
I also have good domain names or decent domains, sometimes it is because there's no buyer ready yet for such domain/niche/business etc obviously one day you will get offers when buyers are ready.
I think lesson number one in domaining is patience :)

Good luck

•••
....What are the other reasons for not receiving offers there. Thanks alot.

Because it's basically a numbers game combined with luck, and a 1% average portfolio turnover ratio a year.

•••
I've got a name, caught on the drop many years ago that was used by a company selling products only one tenth of one percent of the planet could afford (they rebranded to a similar name by adding two letters...not even in the same ballpark as the one I have as it makes no sense).

Not only does it work for this super luxury item, it also applies to a service used by tens of thousands a day...start ups have burned up all other combinations...some with ill placed hyphens...still I've not received a new offer in 2 years. It is parked with many relevant ads showing (makes me a little change) with a starting offer of 100...still I get crickets. This puppy wont leave my hands for less than 25K and more than one domainer over the years has valued it at 50K+

As long as I've been doing this I still get surprised by some offers and in this case, lack thereof...I don't know if people think it would be priced so high it would not be worth asking or making an offer!?!?! One of the start ups is doing extremely well...maybe I will park it with a 75k price for bin and see what happens. If it sells, steak dinner will be on me at the Austin gathering next year for the first 19 that show up (were talking Texas Roadhouse here). However, if 5 or less take me up on the offer, we will move to Ruth's Chris and enjoy a few top top shelf drinks along with some tasty grub (veggie plates will be available for the meat adverse).:xf.smile:

•••
Hi everyone.

Let's say there is a very good domain name, which does have value. So question is not about bad domains or if domain is good for others or not. Please assume, it is very good domain name.

Is it because some details in account are missing like payment/bank details ? Does it matter ?

Please advice. And please assume that domain names are great. What are the other reasons for not receiving offers there.

Thanks alot.

You didnt mention 2 important things: how long? and how many?

How many domains do you have and for how long they are listed?

If you are talking about 1 domain only then it may get an offer tomorrow or it may never get an offer even if it was 3L .com, not because it is not good but because there is no end user for it yet.

Number of domains is important because domaining is a statistical model, now if you have 200+ domains and you have never got an offer within 1+ years then there is something wrong in your domains.

Pricing is also a very important factor, maybe your are pricing your domain too high, so try to reduce min offer.

•••
The right domain at the right time.

•••
I also have good domain names or decent domains, sometimes it is because there's no buyer ready yet for such domain/niche/business etc obviously one day you will get offers when buyers are ready.
I think lesson number one in domaining is patience :)

Good luck

True.

In general, you have to be patient. Domaining is not lottery.

•••
Hi everyone.

Thanks alot.

Try hosting your domains on your own hosting. Marketplaces lower selling chance in 2 ways:
1- Traffic to your domain is used by marketplaces to promote their own things or other domains.
2- Their landing pages are not SEO friendly.

Selling a domain depends on traffic to your domain. Marketplaces don't generate traffic. Instead they kill existing and potential traffic.

Last edited:
•••
Try hosting your domains on your own hosting. Marketplaces lower selling chance in 2 ways: 1- Traffic to your domain is used by marketplaces to promote their own things or other domains. 2- Their landing pages are not SEO friendly. Selling a domain depends on traffic to your domain. Marketplaces don't generate traffic. Instead they kill existing and potential traffic.

Very well said and completely valid and a reason it's best to avoid using places like DAN and others.

Perhaps my biggest complaint is how you list your name on DAN (or elsewhere) and when someone searches for your domain they see lots of similar and usually lower priced options, and/or lower value extensions.

Making it even more disturbing is when the other domains displayed are not exact match names or misspells and your exact match domain ranks down the list instead of at the top where it belongs. DAN.COM in particular is well known for doing that however other marketplaces and registrars also do it, to domain owners detriment.

Last edited:
•••
One of a startup with $100M (who made me a low-ball offer which I declined) ultimately picked another name, and choose not purchase any premium .com. The CEO went on the record to the media and said that "the name doesn’t make you, you make the name".

•••
The high price is most likely a deterring factor, but if the domain is good and the price is right (despite being high), then the buyer will come, though it could take a few years (or decades).

Last edited:
•••
Try hosting your domains on your own hosting. Marketplaces lower selling chance in 2 ways:
1- Traffic to your domain is used by marketplaces to promote their own things or other domains.
2- Their landing pages are not SEO friendly.

Selling a domain depends on traffic to your domain. Marketplaces don't generate traffic. Instead they kill existing and potential traffic.
Very well said and completely valid and a reason it's best to avoid using places like DAN and others.

I dont have my own marketplace website to tell, but I read several times in other threads that domainers rarely sell domains at their own marketplace. However this can be because the domains were using external landers such as Dan or Uniregistery.

There are benefit of using well known marketplaces for your landing pages: trust factor, multiple payments options and chat support.

SEO has no benefits at all to domains selling, no one will search in google "CoolDomain .com for sale".

Last edited:
•••
Realistically, good/great names get offers all the time. Good/great names get traffic...real traffic, not bot crap. Even "so so" names get offers over time.

Get rid of your BIN $$$$ amount and see what happens.

If not, then the name(s) probably suck.

•••

Perhaps my biggest complaint is how you list your name on DAN (or elsewhere) and when someone searches for your domain they see lots of similar and usually lower priced options, and/or lower value extensions.

Making it even more disturbing is when the other domains displayed are not exact match names or misspells and your exact match domain ranks down the list instead of at the top where it belongs. DAN.COM in particular is well known for doing that however other marketplaces and registrars also do it, to domain owners detriment.

For me search result relevancy of DAN is better than Sedo and some other marketplaces. DAN does it better than the average. However it doesn't play a vital role. The key is traffic volume and quality. Search function quality is a secondary concern.

Typical end user is not aware of domain marketplaces. They usually buy second hand "Premium" domains from registrars or visit the domain they want. Marketplaces are known by webmasters, developers and domain resellers who are already familiar with those marketplaces and their search function.

Some end users know which domain they want to buy after or before they visit the domain. For me, it's highly possible that those end users are not even aware of domain registrars. Here I am talking about billions of typical internet surfers who use internet mostly for social media, emails, internet banking, etc. Those billions literally have no clue on how websites and internet works. The World is not consist of domainers. Most people do their own job and have no clue on other jobs. All of us are end users of almost everything we use daily and we have no clue on how those things work.

If the domain is landed on a marketplace, potential buyer learns there is a thing named "domain marketplace" where tons of alternative domains are waiting to be sold. This is the main problem with landing pages of marketplaces. They design landing pages to work for them, not for domain sellers or other people. They have to show all domains in order to sell a domain and earn commission from your visitor. They don't have to sell your domain as long as your visitor buys a domain. So their landing pages are designed to tell your visitor this message: "Hello visitor, if you don't like this domain of Bob, don't worry. We have a similar domain of Tom and thousands of similar domains of thousands of other sellers. You don't have to buy this domain of Bob. We don't care about Bob and his domains as long as you buy a domain from our marketplace :)" This is the most critical issue. Marketplace and domain seller have a different way how they make profit. Those two can not cooperate without conflict of interests. They have different interests. Seller wants to sell a particular domain, marketplace wants commission from any domain, any buyer and any seller.

I dont have my own marketplace website to tell, but I read several times in other threads that domainers rarely sell domains at their own marketplace. However this can be because the domains were using external landers such as Dan or Uniregistery.

There are benefit of using well known marketplaces for your landing pages: trust factor, multiple payments options and chat support.

SEO has no benefits at all to domains selling, no one will search in google "CoolDomain .com for sale".

I don't have my own marketplace either. I talk about a very basic landing page with 1-2 sentences that say the domain is for sale, how to contact seller, price and other info that deemed very important.

yes SEO is not a critical factor. When I say SEO I mean overall accessibility and uptime as those affect SEO. Sorry for confusion. Landing pages of marketplaces have variety of techical issues including but not limited to SSL, DNS, browser compatibility, reflecting updates in price, email delivery, software/design updates, etc. As a webmaster with server management skills I know it's not easy to host millions of domains even if you automate everything. Those issues lower the number of visitors who actually display and read your message of "This domain is for sale". The worst part with this is you can not measure and know. Stats and server logs may show your domain received 100 page views yesterday but you can never know yesterday 500 visitors could not even browse your domain.

Trust factor varies depending on price. Landing at a marketplace works better for low priced domains. Those domains usually don't receive good traffic. But if a domain receives good traffic, hosting your own landing page works better regardless of price and trust factor. Because losing a sale for trust factor is less likely than losing a sale for alternative domains of other sellers in marketplaces. Once your buyer wants to pay the price you want payment/transfer can be handled by a mutally trusted third party, or sometimes buyer might pay directly with no trust issue especially if the price is low.

So I don't recommend anyone having own landing pages blindly. I don't use my own landing pages for my own domains. Because most of my domains are low priced even the ones with traffic, I don't have time for negotations and so on. I only share pros and cons, try to share what I know. I am techincally capable but I don't offer landing page hosting/creation service as it's not worth my time.

Most domains don't receive any offer. Domain quality and wrong pricing are the major factors. Another factor is marketplaces in many different ways that I didn't mention above. For instance, some marketplaces like Sedo display seller country and encourage/discourage buyers based on seller country. Technically displaying seller country is not necessary or at least it should be optional. I remember here someone had a thread to complain about not making sales as he is from Russia. Marketplaces can kill potential sales in many ways. As you have no control over them there is no solution for those problems.

Last edited:
•••
Buy a lot more of those good domains and as you fine tune what your prepared to spend on renewals some don't look as great as the next.

•••

Last edited:
•••
Back