IT.COM

discuss WHOIS privacy On or Off when selling domains?

NameSilo
Watch

lknights1987

Established Member
Impact
Do you leave the WHOIS privacy on or off when trying to sell a domain?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I dont use privacy on any of my names. I want people to be able to contact me if they want my domains.

•••
Ok thank you. I've just turned mine off

•••
Depends which Registrar. At Dynadot they have 3 levels of privacy. None, Partial, Full. None and Full are self explanatory. Partial is Full privacy but they give you the ability to write some text in the Registrant Details. It's not a lot of space, but plenty enough for a few short words and an email address. I use Partial Privacy on all my domains except for my domain site, which uses Full Privacy. I really like this feature because the email address is NOT in the space for email, so I don't get any spam :) It's really nice. @Dynadot.

•••
i use privscy and get the best of both worlds

i still have gotten inquiries with privacy on

They relay all messages while protecting info

Last edited:
•••
I feel like anyone who knows to check the whois of a domain for contact info, would also be able to figure out how to visit the domain itself and see my landing page.

•••
i use privscy and get the best of both worlds

i still have gotten inquiries with privacy on

They relay all messages while protecting info

That's also true. But you never know if you get all inquiries or not. No way to tell. Sending direct will always be better :)

•••
That's also true. But you never know if you get all inquiries or not. No way to tell. Sending direct will always be better :)

i dont know about “always”..

Had inquiries but without prices, own hundreds

May have experiment see inquiry go up if off

Last edited:
•••
No privacy on names. No reason to limit, or make contact difficult, which could hamper a sale...imo

•••
No privacy on names. No reason to limit, or make contact difficult, which could hamper a sale...imo

I understand the argument. But don't you get hundreds of spam every day because some bright spark decides to research the email addresses in the whois database, and then sells them to an email consolidator, who then sells their lists to an untold number of scammers, who simply keep spamming you ad infinitem? Because they just don't care.

•••
I feel like anyone who knows to check the whois of a domain for contact info, would also be able to figure out how to visit the domain itself and see my landing page.

I generally won't bother visiting the site and just check whois myself. Laziness I guess.

I keep privacy off though. Nothing thats not listed on my website or my business license.

•••
I prefer buyers that don't know what whois is. I want the buyers that visit a web address and think if there is nothing there, it can be registered. They are the easy buyers. Once they know about whois and appraisals the low ball offers follow.

My whois info says: If you see this message, this domain is NOT for sale.

Just kidding, well, maybe some of what I wrote is based on real thoughts 🤷

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back