NameSilo

news Whois data GONE in USA on May 25, 2018

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20180412_holocaust_remembrance_day/

see the last 2 paragraphs
Yet privacy rights were not the issue raised in the discussion convened by the IPC/BC on their proposed model for 'accreditation' to access Whois data. Instead, last Friday, we heard - yet again - how to give unlimited access to Whois data to any law enforcement, any cybersecurity firm, any trademark owner; basically to anyone who seeks it. The potential that journalists might use the non-public WHOIS data was recognized and credited; the potential that journalists might be the subject of a fishing expedition by a government or individual they criticized in a publication was not. The IPC/BC lawyers heading the meeting then heard that the GDRP rejects unlimited access to data — and they, in turn, unilaterally rejected the interpretation and advice of the legal advisor to ICANN, in the Hamilton Memo (#3). They told 150 people listening to the meeting that ICANN could give unlimited access to non-public Whois data to those the IPC/BC chose in their accreditation model.

We need real community consultation and on neutral ground — at ICANN — where we can again discuss what the law requires and what real compliance involves. Most importantly, we need to stop talking about who wants access to domain name data and start talking about how to respect the privacy rights of registrants. On this day of all days, on this week of all weeks, it's time for ICANN to be on the right side of law, the right side of principle and the right side of history. We hold the personal and sensitive data of almost 200 million domain name registrants. Today we must recognize that the privacy of this data could be the difference between protection and suppression.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think whois will only be gone in the eu. I don't think this will be the case in the USA I guess we have to wait and see. Im sure there will be a loophole somewhere. I will be hunting for one

•••
upload_2018-4-30_17-53-1.jpeg

spammers now
images

VS
Spammers after Whois data is gone. LOL

Last edited:
•••
I think no whois is good news :xf.grin: at least, I can build more PBN, withouth have to worry ! because sometime, Big G Checking my whois, and take down my PBN :xf.laugh:, and sometime, my competitor also checking my whois and loking for my networks.

btw Hiding Whois, seem overdo! , because legitimate business will never hide their whois :)

Last edited:
•••
Well, a little bit of extra steps usually tends to help separate out people who are not as serious, which is beneficial to people are trying to be legitimate (most of the time), so I would like to think this will have positive effects for the internet in general.

•••
This is what I would do: Please feel free to shoot it down :)
------------------------------------------------------------------

Only 7% of the world lives in the EU.
It only affects companies with a presence in the EU
It only applies to natural EU persons

Therefore for this group only, what is required is registrant consent. (The EU registrars want to quit complaining and either move out the EU or get an email sent out to their registrants.)

The email simply needs to explain that WHOIS is a valuable public resource and asking registrants for consent to:

1. Their data being escrowed to a third party outside the EU
(It’s for the registrant’s benefit in case a registrar decides it desires to keep some of the registrant’s domains.)

2. How they consent to their personal data will be used for public WHOIS purposes
(a) their personal information is displayed in the public WHOIS.
(b) their personal information is held with an existing approved 3rd party privacy service
(c) their objection to their personal data being used for WHOIS purposes

Any that opt for (c) should have all their name, telephone number & email address only removed, a note should be placed in the WHOIS and their name should be replaced with an ID Number/Hash so that all domains owned by the same person can be easily identified of being under the same ownership.

New registrations are easy as a request for consent at the point of registration can be made. People with multiple domains are also easy as this information should only need to be requested once per account. The registrars already have to email registrants about WHOIS compliance notices so this really shouldn’t be such a big problem.

This should mean only a small percentage of the domains in ICANN WHOIS see any change.

Any suggestions errors would be appreciated then we can send ICANN a letter on how to get this fixed before the 25th May :)

Last edited:
•••
I wonder how Godaddy is going to recoup "privacy" profits for share holders.

•••
They should start with ensuring they properly meet all customer satisfaction needs, since they are now on the more expensive end of things with less to offer!

•••
Screenshot_2018-05-03-15-57-43.png

I think there is opt in to disclose data

•••
I think no whois is good news :xf.grin: at least, I can build more PBN, withouth have to worry ! because sometime, Big G Checking my whois, and take down my PBN :xf.laugh:, and sometime, my competitor also checking my whois and loking for my networks.

btw Hiding Whois, seem overdo! , because legitimate business will never hide their whois :)
Well said,
you will not find legit business domain hidden behind privacy mostly,
Any one who wants to hide their info, already have the method.

anyways i hope this will work good for domainers, just have a landing page and sit and wait....
afternic is second good option

•••
Mmmmm, it a part it is "good", because we will see less spam, but it is bad for our own privacy, those who wish to maintain their anonymity online.

•••
Mmmmm, it a part it is "good", because we will see less spam, but it is bad for our own privacy, those who wish to maintain their anonymity online.
I don't see why people care about spam. delete and move on. takes less than two seconds. most of the spam i get goes direct to spambox anyways, i don't even see it.

•••
Not sure what the freak-out is about, this is easily solved by landing pages.

Put in the work, get what it's worth.

•••
I don't see why people care about spam. delete and move on. takes less than two seconds. most of the spam i get goes direct to spambox anyways, i don't even see it.
Exactly, that's why I wrote "good", because that's the only "benefit" people seem to see. They are only taking away another bit of our personal freedom and right to anonymity, but well, that seems to be very normal nowadays and people are happy to take it, because you know, security matters more than freedom!

•••
I am certain different methods of privatization will be implemented, either by individuals or business entities. Either way, it will play out

•••
•••
•••
If, you were worried about domain selling you could put a landing page up to help get a sale. Yeah, it's a little unclear if this only affects Europe or if it affects everyone's whois on every domain. Anyone here know 100% for sure, do it affect USA domain holders?

•••
If, you were worried about domain selling you could put a landing page up to help get a sale. Yeah, it's a little unclear if this only affects Europe or if it affects everyone's whois on every domain. Anyone here know 100% for sure, do it affect USA domain holders?

I get more inquiries via whois than landing page.

and it looks like whois is gone already. Every service giving errors.

•••
See the updating on GDPR and WHOIS forwarded to me by the Resellerclub.com
    • Privacy Protection remains beneficial for customers interested in having emails forwarded to them (e.g., for customers who are interested in sales opportunities for their domains, transfer requests, and fielding other communications) without publicly displaying their personal data
    • The email address displayed on WHOIS will be [email protected]
    • Parties interested in contacting the domain owner can fill out a form on the website and contact the domain owner through a forwarding service
  • Notwithstanding the foregoing, access to the personal data of domain name registrants inside and outside the EEA may be granted when such access is necessary for technical reasons such as for the facilitation of transfers, or for law enforcement when it is legally entitled to such access
I have said there will be a way out of this matter. We are still going to have more way out soon.

•••
Does anyone know how this GDRP would affect outbound?

For example, if I was using LinkedIn to obtain contact info for a potential end-user and sent them an email to the email address listed on LinkedIn, would there be any issues associated with that process?

I could be wrong, but from what I understand, the "use" of information is what GDRP is all about, and not the "storage" of that information.

•••
A few hours ago this policy has been applied for Donuts TLDs...
.life for example...

As of now - the following email address is displayed in WHOIS:
[email protected]
Who knows how the transfers will be processed from today? Are they possible at all with such email?

@namesilo

•••
A few hours ago this policy has been applied for Donuts TLDs...
.life for example...

As of now - the following email address is displayed in WHOIS:
[email protected]
Who knows how the transfers will be processed from today? Are they possible at all with such email?

@namesilo
All I know is that GDRP does not stop the use of email address, provided you submit your email while registering your domains , the registry must still have the authority to use email to contact the owner for renewals and other purposes.

Last edited:
•••
And this is applied by Donuts at Registry level...
So regardless of your registrar all WHOISes now look identically for Donuts TLDs.

Last edited:
•••
Goodbye spammers ........well some of you

•••
@Dynadot replied that they still don't know the new transfer procedure for Donuts TLDs... and that they will email me later regarding this matter...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back