Domain Empire

Who will type IDN name in their IE address bar?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi,
I know there are so many IDN names like,ébay.com or others.
But I really donn't know who will typo those IDN character in their IE address bar?It's not easy to type a IDN char,right?Who will do it?

Thanks
Bean

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
bizbj said:
But I really donn't know who will typo those IDN character in their IE address bar?

Nobody, IE doesn't support IDN names. You need to get a special plug in from Verisign to enable IDN.

•••
Exactly, and that's one of the biggest problems with those names.

•••
mole said:
Nobody, IE doesn't support IDN names. You need to get a special plug in from Verisign to enable IDN.

Oh......but I often found people sale IDN name typo!!!!!!
Does these name have type in traffic????????

•••
The only folks who would think of typing these names in are the one's who speak the languages .... and seeing the domain names are 95% Made up , Crossed up , and Mixed up with english .... They mostly don't make SENSE to anyone ? - Some folks have registered some genuine (1) language words that may work , But most are just Junk that looks different ! - IMHO ~

•••
I personally registered a few chinese IDN, and the traffic comes from out of US (chinese I assume). So the whole point is, made up, crossed up with english IDNs are plain useless IMO. The true good IDNs are the ones that are actual language words. That is something that native language speakers will actually type in their browser. And also as for the plug-in, I guess it just takes time before IE input that function as default into their new IE versions.

Flora.

•••
That's why they're not worth as much ;)

•••
no one will, They are useless unless there si already an IDN in the correct domain such as an é but someone accidenly types ê

•••
I will enver visit an idn name ever

•••
only actual words in other languages are worth something. All others are useless.

•••
I have quite a few properly spelled IDN's that get alot of type-in traffic.I have Diseño.com which gets over 1000 hits a month,it's one of my betters earners at Sedo.

•••
I never typed in one since I started surfing the web :)

•••
Dillpup said:
I have quite a few properly spelled IDN's that get alot of type-in traffic.I have Diseño.com which gets over 1000 hits a month,it's one of my betters earners at Sedo.

That's it - IDNs WERE NOT intorduced for English speakers. The point is, for French, Spanish etc speakers are forced to type the words of their language INCORRECTLY, if this particular word is a part of a domain name. With IDNs, they can type Télécharger.com (download in French) or Diseño.com (Design in Spanish), which is the CORRECT SPELLING of these words and as such, would be normally used in any other place except adress bar of a browser. Diacritics in Latin-based alphabets are not some funny stuff, they are obligatory and in many languages using or not using a diacritic sign is the only distinction between two words.

I just don't understand why are some people so upset bout
IDNs - Internet is not just English-speaking, why should domain names be the only exception ???

BTW, my best IDN gets 100+ views/day at sedo

•••
bizbj said:
Hi,
But I really donn't know who will typo those IDN character in their IE address bar?

My mother does type IDNs in IE. I've installed i-Nav plugin so she is able to type in native language, as it was said, CORRECTLY :) She really loves this possibility :lol: as an old-fashioned lady although not so many IDNs work as registered addresses.
There is a big difference between such 'artificial' applications of IDNs as 'yahồồ' and similar and words written correctly in languages demanding country characters. I think domainers from ANY country should be happy if dn market becomes larger and more possibilies for doing business appear.
Cheers, hookah

•••
I like the use of chinese IDNs, and I see potential in it since IE will definitely think of someway to add in IDNs as time goes by with the increase of IDNs registrations. As of now, many chinese in China simply do not know english, thus chinese IDNs will help alot. Btw, many chinese use Chinese Wndows OS too, even chinese in Canada! :tu:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back