Domain Empire

Who must I kill to be an eBay affiliate?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Hi,

Just would like to have some feedbacks on how you've got an eBay affiliate account. So feel free to share the information as I have been rejected 3 times...

About myself, I build 2 websites for eBay and have made some SEO.

Site 1: a laptop specific niche which drives 1000+ targeted uniques per month to eBay following the internal tracking system. 3 results for the main keyword on top 10 google.com. Amazon and another company was sharing the other top10 places ans eBay is not listed.

Site 2: a car selling website with about 500 uniques redirected to eBay each month and growing.

After having that results, I decided to submit these 2 sites to eBay who rejected them without any explanation. So what to do to get in???

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It all depends on the quality of your site. They have been much more selective since they brought the affiliate program in-house a few years ago.

Just like how Google hates made-for-adsense sites, ebay hates made-for-ebay sites.

•••
OK, will work with amazon if ebay don't want my sites.
Feel free to share more information :)

•••
Try listing your sites, members can then critique them and tell you how you can improve them. Though after being rejected, I would wait awhile before resubmitting them.

•••
Thanks for your advices. I dont like to post my sites on forums.
I will use the traffic for amazon, it sounds the best solution for the moment... The first site is nearly finish with amazon goods.
Thanks for helping !

•••
It's easy to use Amazon.

Also now ebay use some kind of PPC system, you don't get commission only value per click.

•••
I was an affiliate of ebay and they terminated my account due to "low quality traffic".
I don't know what the heck this means! I wasn't getting my traffic through spam. Perhaps, the people that I was referring to ebay weren't buying stuff on ebay. But is it my fault???
Save yourself a headache. Don't bother with ebay.

•••
It doesn't necesserily mean that your traffic was from spam.

They just don't want to keep paying for traffic that isn't converting.

There's probably performance measures they have in-house to guage quality like a ratio between amount of traffic vs signups or $ amount in purchases, etc.

•••
eBay wants traffic that's "engaged" with their site. They don't want traffic that clicks through and leaves. They want people who bid and buy, or at least spend some time browsing the site.

This, from their official blog, is a couple years old but still relevant:
http://www.ebaypartnernetworkblog.c...-sending-engaged-buyer-traffic-to-ebay-sites/

Short version: Promoting specific categories or items works better than a banner to their home page.

Another thing: If you use some kind of eBay "store builder" like BANS or phpBay, TELL your visitors the products are on eBay.

Last edited:
•••
It doesn't necesserily mean that your traffic was from spam.

They just don't want to keep paying for traffic that isn't converting.

Are they paying PPC? Isn't ebay pays only when they sell something from the visitor you refer?

•••
Isn't ebay pays only when they sell something from the visitor you refer?

Used to be. They switched to a sort of hybrid PPC system a couple of years ago when they left CJ/PJ and went to their own network.

It's PPC, but compensation is determined by a "quality click pricing" formula, based upon the revenue generated and the short-term and long-term value of the traffic you send.

•••
More importantly, why would you WANT to be an eBay affiliate.

Ever since they implemented their Quality Click Pricing, I haven't used them. It's not worth the effort for the pennies what they pay out now.

•••
Never been an ebay fan, I made decent money with Amazon, so what the heck.

•••
Years ago I was an eBay affiliate, but I gave it up when they started making their payment calculations so complicated. It just seemed like every maneuver they took they were trying to find a way to reduce or eliminate commissions. Who needs that?

•••
The replies up thread all speak of Ebay as if it were it were a big black box and everything got treated the same. From what I can see there are major differences between niches in different areas. They obviously have many more fraud issues with consumer electronics than antiques and collectibles. I suspect their rules/guidelines for EPN are to some extent niche specific.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back