IT.COM

opinion Who lists buy now everywhere.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Martin Andrews

Established Member
Impact
Something I always feel conflicted about is whether to add buy now on all marketplaces.

I realise you could have a double sale, but I dont think I'm at much risk of that.

1. Do you add buy now on all markets ?

2. Does this help to increase sales ?

I only list buy now on afternic. What do you do ?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
List everywhere, but BIN on only one marketplace. The rest - Make offer.
Yes, chances of double sale very slim - same day or hour. But if you're the forgetful type (or by omission) and you leave the domain on numerous places days/months after is has been sold. If sold again on another marketplace, you may be required to honor the TOS and pay the normal sales commission. Rightly so. Are you ready for that?

Last edited:
•••
List everywhere, but BIN on only one marketplace. The rest - Make offer.
Yes, chances of double sale very slim - same day or hour. But if you're the forgetful type (or by omission), you leave the domain on numerous places days/months after is has been sold. If sold again on another marketplace, you may be required to honor the TOS and pay the normal sales commission. Rightly so. Are you ready for that?

I'm not ready for that lol. I always only have buy now on one marketplace.

Thanks for the reply, just thought I might be doing the wrong thing ;)

•••
I list BIN on all... never had an issue with double selling in over a decade. Like you said though,, just remember to remove a sold domain from all once it is paid for.

•••
I list BIN on all... never had an issue with double selling in over a decade. Like you said though,, just remember to remove a sold domain from all once it is paid for.

Thanks for reply. Do you see more sales via buy now or make offer ?

I suppose it could be s risk worth taking if it increases sales.

A lot to ponder on.

Last edited:
•••
I'm probably losing money by having BINs and not sure on the increase in sales. I honestly hate having to make an offer for a domain so I feel like others may feel the same and potentially avoid making an offer on a domain they really want.

•••
I'm probably losing money by having BINs and not sure on the increase in sales. I honestly hate having to make an offer for a domain so I feel like others may feel the same and potentially avoid making an offer on a domain they really want.

I'm sure it puts a lot of people off, having to make an offer. That's why I'm asking. I sometimes look at my domains, and wonder whether there all trash, or make offer is putting buyers off lol.

Thanks for your honest reply. It helps a lot with my own decision making.

Last edited:
•••
I've always been a 'Buy-now' seller, occasionally I may move domains to make offer status if my sales have been high in recent months, Maybe strange to some but if sales have far exceeded my normal expectations over say a 6 month period - then I like to cap it for a while.(rather than remove sales pages) I'll only overspend it on luxuries. Equally I will lower them if no sales over three months or so

I agree buyers in general much prefer a "Buy it Now" proposition. It's mostly purchasing domainers that like to negotiate. And of course people do think they may have got more by negotiating but that can be a double edged sword. You'll always know when it's a Domainer on the hunt because they can't help themselves but try to get the price down - yep they'll find you

I personally feel I've had more buyers willing to pay an asking price purely because they don't want the hassle of negotiating. This is particularly true with end-users and business buyers.

If the potential sale is due to an outbound email by me - then of course I'm always open to negotiate, It would seem rude not to seeing I started the communications

The real key is to keep your prices attractive. I find the 1 to 2k price is generally the winner in most instances for my made-up word combos. GOOD Brandables a bit higher. Everything .COM of course

Last edited:
•••
What got me a bit concern was when I sold via Fast Transfer on Sedo, but the domain still sat on my epik account and I couldn't remove it from epik marketplace (it allowed me to remove, but the name remained listed on epik marketplace with BIN).

So the name was in process of transfer for the whole weekend, while still being listed on epik marketplace. :facepalm:

Maybe is because the whois privacy changed automatically I have no idea.

Last edited:
•••
I agree, bin is more attractive to the buyer. Starting to get a better idea on my pricing.

Would you say its crucial to have a bin on your landing page.

Last edited:
•••
Would you say its crucial to have a bin on your landing page.

Yes If you really think the domain is Worth that asking price, When starting-out by all means undersell yourself a few times - It will build your confidence and actually getting you to revisit who the domains sold to and how they are putting them to use. This then tends to give you a better insight in what that particular buyer may have been willing to pay for that domain. Over the years your thoughts tend to balance out whereby you think some you undersold whereas others seem sold at a remarkably good price all things considered

My tactic is to home page my domains at Dan, (my preferred seller) but list them at 10% higher at other sites - The chances of getting buy Now payments from two different buyers on the same day is just so small you can ignore it, Just remember to remove all other listings immediately you get that SOLD email.( I accept very large portfolio holders wouldn't want to follow that path)

* Yep some buyers will actually willingly pay that extra 10% If their preferred Agent is Sedo etc - These are generally not frequent repeat buyers but one-off Company purchases

Last edited:
•••
Yes If you really think the domain is Worth that asking price, When starting-out by all means undersell yourself a few times - It will build your confidence and actually getting you to revisit who the domains sold to and how they are putting them to use. Over the years your thoughts tend to balance out whereby you think some you undersold whereas others seem sold at a remarkably good price all things considered

My tactic is to home page my domains at Dan, (my preferred seller) but list them at 10% higher at other sites - The chances of getting buy Now payments from two different buyers on the same day is just so small you can ignore it, Just remember to remove all other listings immediately you get that SOLD email

Thanks for sharing your tactics and strategy. I have some work to do :)

•••
As an add
Hopefully they'll come a day You no longer bother to visit sold domains as a learning exercise - ( I stopped years ago) You'll get comfortable with your asking prices and everything about a domain becomes history the moment it's sold

Last edited:
•••
As an add
Hopefully they'll come a day You no longer bother to visit sold domains as a learning exercise - ( I stopped years ago) You'll get comfortable with your asking prices and everything about the domain becomes history the moment it's sold

Thanks @BaileyUK , I've been domaining six months now but still coming to terms with what is the best strategy for success.

Currently have my domains listed on 10+ marketplaces, but considering whether I'm wasting my time listing on 5 of the lesser well known sites.

I'm sure these issues will be a thing of the past once I get more comfortable with domaining.

Appreciate your advice, all the best with your business.

•••
Wow - I didn't even know there were ten out-there. Stick with the majors unless It's a Country code specific site for cclds seems prudent to me. Even if it's just to cut down on the spam.

PS If you think you've got an eye for good and relevant Marketing concepts - make use of the text field at Dan and any others that offer it - (Cut and paste Job)

That's a bit of an ironic comment because If you haven't the 'eye' the domains are probably not what the market wants in the first place

Last edited:
•••
@BaileyUK haha thanks. Will do.

Currently listed on:

Godaddy
Afternic
Dan
Epik
Sedo
Daaz
Perfectdomain
ToughDomains
Uniregistry
DomainAgents
Cax
Above
And some on BrandBucket

Landing pages, Dan and Epik.

Probably overdoing it a bit. And I am realistic, some of my domains are trash, which obviously dosnt help, sales wise lol.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back