Domain Empire

Who is the best registrar for IDN’s?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Which registrar offers the best value when it comes to IDN's?

As a secondary question: Is it possible to register a one or two character IDN?

Thanks,
Kimmy

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1) Enom is good (and namecheap) as well as others

2) yes, but they are taken (the very vast majority, even dumb ones like keyboard characters)

•••
domainsite.com and Dynadot.com

I guess I speak for most.

•••
I think most all IDN domainers would recommend DomainSite.Only $6.99 per registration,and you can search for available names in either native characters or "xn--" punycode form.They also appear in both forms in your control panel for easy reference.
You can register one or two character IDN's,but at this point there's generally none left worth registering.You can go to Pool.com and search "xn--" in the deleting names list and occasionally catch a good one,but alot of people are in the hunt and top names are snatched immediately upon dropping.

•••
Enom allows for search in native character sets as well.
also, I get them for 6.95, but I see the point about 6.99 for the masses at domainsite.
However, I did not have the best experience in the past with Domainsite, especially with the .info renewals...

•••
I think Idn's are in the word combining stage right now. Lot of good 1worder.idn are gone. But some still exist. Better find a niche and reg up. Can you say "CatLitter" in japanese?

•••
Any new experiences so far?

Which one is currently the best, also in regard to easy ownership transfers etc.?

•••
For me, I have to say Domainsite. Good prices, and very easy to use.

Alex

•••
Really, Domainsite.com and Dynadot.com, both are very good

I regged my domains with them

•••
IDNebook.com

Check out www.IDNebook.com it will show you a tutorial how & where to Reg IDN's

•••
I would have to suggest domainsite.com as well. I registered three there yesterday, and currently have another few domains registered with them, which have been there for a few months.
There are a few of one letter IDN.coms still available. I have a list of ones I found yesterday, in several different languages, which I may post later, if anyone is interested ;)

•••
I use Dynadot exclusively and have been very happy with them.

•••
seeker said:
1) Enom is good (and namecheap) as well as others

2) yes, but they are taken (the very vast majority, even dumb ones like keyboard characters)

There are over 50,000 Chinese characters alone, and by no stretch of the imagination are they all gone. Although a couple of thousand is sufficent for ordinary everyday use. Even those couple of thousand is maybe 33% still open.
Slightly more than the 26 letters we use.

Domainsite is the registrar of choice for the majority of IDN domainers. $6.99 per name but this is just one of the advantages. The interface is excellent and very easy to use. Pushing is a breeze. All round great value and ease of use.

•••
Another vote for Domainsite for great user interface, options, and easy transfers.

One note about one character Chinese domains - they are usually more than one keystroke.

•••
•••
I'm using DomainSite and DynaDot .

•••
I'm using DomainSite.com for my IDN regs. I think its simply the best registrar for IDNs.

•••
Domainsite and dynadot for me too.

•••
I reg'ed and have mine with Domainsite, Dynadot, Idotz, and Outstanding.
They are have their advantages and disadvantages.

•••
I am using domainsite and I am very pleased with them.

Aboujouj

•••
alex_d said:
For me, I have to say Domainsite. Good prices, and very easy to use.

Alex

Ditto. I've found good and easy-to-use management tools indispensable when it comes to managing domain portfolios. We've all tasted or heard about iPower, and though saving those bucks sounded good at first, man, what a nightmare. I'll be transferring those 20 domains soon, until then, I don't want to touch them.

Domainsite for IDNs sounds to be the consensus... thanks all.

Mahalo :)

•••
domainsite is good and you can bulk check up to 50 names at once.

Is there anywhere else you can bulk check more names at a time?

•••
slaughterbeck said:
As a secondary question: Is it possible to register a one or two character IDN?

Absolutely yes, we have hundreds of single characters.

This is one of the first things we went through over two years ago. Alphabetic characters are hugely valuable in my opinion, but not all single characters are going to be worth money. Those that can readily be typed in will be. You might still be able to pick a few in the more obscure scripts, but the important language went ages ago.

My advice would be to check Russian Cyrillic Alphabet for two and three letter acroynms or perhaps contact some of the existing holders to see if they want to sell. Not all languages use Acronyms in the way that do, so be sure to do a little research along these lines. With single ASCII touted as going for 7 to 8 figures don't be surprised if you get stone walled, but some owners do let IDN go remarkably cheaply.

thefabfive said:
One note about one character Chinese domains - they are usually more than one keystroke.

That has not always been the case, but the 50,000 character keyboards have gone a bit out of vogue lately.
:)

Noetic said:
Ditto. I've found good and easy-to-use management tools indispensable when it comes to managing domain portfolios. We've all tasted or heard about iPower, and though saving those bucks sounded good at first, man, what a nightmare. I'll be transferring those 20 domains soon, until then, I don't want to touch them.

Domainsite for IDNs sounds to be the consensus... thanks all.

Mahalo :)

Actually, the reason they are so good is that I ASCII dropped domains at dozens of different registeries world wide and decided to consolidate them all at a single site. I was familiar with most registries, but picked what I felt was the best.

When I got into IDN about two and half years ago, one of the first things I did was to pursuade my registrar to incorporate the Punycode Converter into the Search Tool. The rest is as they say history.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back