NameSilo

domains Who Is Picking The Names?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Am I wrong on this?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    18.2%
  • No

votes
    81.8%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Okay, first I was surprised by, what I thought, a lack of quality names in the Namescon auction. I commented at the time that there should maybe be more consensus on the selected and rejected names.

Now, I look at the DSAD Big Winter Auction and I can't believe the offering. Is it me? Sorry but I think there is better in the NP Bargain Section...Any thoughts. I just don't get it.

Here's a link:
http://www.namejet.com/featuredauctions/dsad

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Do you have a link to the DSAD winter auction perhaps?

•••
•••
Namescon - Good/Great names were submitted. I heard most being steered to offer at "No Reserve" was simply too much risk. Also, the fine print if you read it while submitting stated your domains could be tied up for a bit.

IMO

•••
you pay, you get listed. on a "great auction", on a "guru domainer's blog", on a "leading domain news site", anywhere you want... things have always worked that way, have they not?

...what is DSAD anyway?

•••
you pay, you get listed. on a "great auction", on a "guru domainer's blog", on a "leading domain news site", anywhere you want... things have always worked that way, have they not?

...what is DSAD anyway?
Dsad is the name of a domain blog. Used to be called domainshane but i guess he got some partners and changed to dsad. It stands for Domain Shane Accidental Domainer.

•••
Dsad is the name of a domain blog. Used to be called domainshane but i guess he got some partners and changed to dsad. It stands for Domain Shane Accidental Domainer.

oh, i see... accidents happen

•••
ThreeWheeledBicycle.com - don't they speak english? :)

•••
•••
•••
When I think of organized domain name auction events with hand picked domains, I imagine prestige and great domain names. While there are some that would sell automatically, the majority just seem like a someone playing a joke.

It's obvious that some investors will get unbelievable deals. Just think it's a missed opportunity on a number of levels.

Certainly not trying to bash it. The exposure for the domain holders is great, just wish the selection was a better representation of the premium aftermarket domains that are available.

•••
Nothing against these but come on.

songaholic - of all the brandable domains out there, this one?
badlead - who wants a bad lead?
vetoption - when would I think to say this?
chipincrowdfund - I get it....but I don't get it.
beginnerx - maybe sell for $5 here on NP?
stationarybikestand - Huh? is there another kind?
givingwisdom - another head scratcher
imtoofat - an apostrophe domain?
everyrocket - who would say this?
vavovo - hand regged 6 mo. ago?
paleostorm - ???
zsmooth - ???
instantforge - 1 month old

•••
I think the idea behind that auction was to give people the opportunity to sell a name or 2 on Namejet who don't have the inventory to be approved as stand-alone Namejet sellers. With that in mind, I wouldn't expect a list full of spectacular names. Most are also no-reserve.

•••
I think the idea behind that auction was to give people the opportunity to sell a name or 2 on Namejet who don't have the inventory to be approved as stand-alone Namejet sellers. With that in mind, I wouldn't expect a list full of spectacular names. Most are also no-reserve.
Good point. The no reserve thing was probably a big sticking point for better names.

•••
Certainly no names that jump out in that list but beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say. The whole industry is very subjective and names that I think are worth thousands might be worthless to others. The key for these auctions is to have names that appeal to the majority or they end up with a lot of non sellers. I always wonder if these auctions are set up by the "big names" to offload their otherwise unsellable names to beginners or naive domainers who think that just because a known domainer owned them they must be valuable.

Last edited:
•••
I think very highly of the folks over at DSAD. Really like Shane's down to earth approach. Just not sure if the goal is to sell names, why they chose some of the ones they did.

And @Domain Shane , if you are reading this thread, maybe you could shed some light on what us domainers may not be seeing.

•••
maybe their rep, will speak for the names

though the reasoning for linking to their auction, then to critique the list, in comparison to who they are...is odd, but not really.

i guess if you have preconceived expectations on what one should have or own, based on their "industry status", then disappointment could arise, when faced with a reality.

imo.....

•••
maybe their rep, will speak for the names

though the reasoning for linking to their auction, then to critique the list, in comparison to who they are...is odd, but not really.

i guess if you have preconceived expectations on what one should have or own, based on their "industry status", then disappointment could arise, when faced with a reality.

imo.....
Not really a critique of the domains. They are what they are. My question was simply who is picking the names. I am curious because I thought some of them were interesting choices.

•••
it is a diverse variety of names that's for sure. I would only grab a couple if i can steal a deal.

•••
Probably the blog authors picked the names. A few good ones, but never hurts to put up your names, promote and see what happens. As long as the reserves are in line with the quality. Namescon had some great names this year.

•••
I can answer this easily. The "bad" names you see is actually our teams names. We made the exact same mistake that others do but don't admit. The names we took from 3rd party people were pretty good and put in some of our own names that we may not have taken from a 3rd party. The key to all of them is the reserves are in line with the quality which is more than can be said about many auctions. Other than lesson the quality of the auction we have a reason.
We make basically nothing on this auction. Only a small percentage. That is in exchange for going through thousands of names. Organizing everything. Making sure names get delivered through Namejet. And trying to advertise a little bit. One of our paybacks is we get to add our own names and get the publicity of our auction. In the future we will try and keep our personal names a little better and throw up our less than good names separately. And our names are still better than select.auctions

Here were my personal names in the auction so you know what kind of names I personally put in or want to avoid buying them :)

RollingMachines.com
Handtorch.com
UnLOL.com
GetDivorcedFast.com
ImTooFat.com
BigShovel.com
Bleeb.com
PlantBusiness.com
Bookbag.org
orzs.com
CloseTheBorders.com
OVMY.com
FindARun.com
HoneyPear.com
IWontTell.com
S70.com
SXLM.com
ZCXC.com

Last edited:
•••
I missed the original question. Retyping answer
You're great man! Thanks for sharing how you evaluate the names. Looks like a sound process. You had mentioned somewhere that you have others that also get to choose some of the names?

Anyway, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?

Best of luck! Love your blog.

•••
I actually retyped the answer because I thought you were talking about the daily list. I answered the question as regards to the auction.

•••
I can answer this easily. The "bad" names you see is actually our teams names. We made the exact same mistake that others do but don't admit. The names we took from 3rd party people were pretty good and put in some of our own names that we may not have taken from a 3rd party. The key to all of them is the reserves are in line with the quality which is more than can be said about many auctions. Other than lesson the quality of the auction we have a reason.
We make basically nothing on this auction. Only a small percentage. That is in exchange for going through thousands of names. Organizing everything. Making sure names get delivered through Namejet. And trying to advertise a little bit. One of our paybacks is we get to add our own names and get the publicity of our auction. In the future we will try and keep our personal names a little better and throw up our less than good names separately. And our names are still better than select.auctions

Here were my personal names in the auction so you know what kind of names I personally put in or want to avoid buying them :)

RollingMachines.com
Handtorch.com
UnLOL.com
GetDivorcedFast.com
ImTooFat.com
BigShovel.com
Bleeb.com
PlantBusiness.com
Bookbag.org
orzs.com
CloseTheBorders.com
OVMY.com
FindARun.com
HoneyPear.com
IWontTell.com
S70.com
SXLM.com
ZCXC.com
Why would YOU sell plantbusiness? Thinking of making a change? :)

•••
Why would YOU sell plantbusiness? Thinking of making a change? :)
I own so many names that are plant related names that are better. I figured it was a name that people would like and most people in our industry use the term hort or horticulture not plants.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back