Dynadot

Who decides a premium name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mirecart

Established Member
Impact
I've been buying domains for the past 3 years, and while I have not paid more than $150 for a single domain, I have sold some for $2000 and above. I have always found it intriguing as to what defines a premium name over one with value.

I was going through a number of my domains on name.com and noticed they have over a dozen noted by their system as being premium domains. I don't hold that opinion but I wanted to know what makes a domain premium, what or who if anyone sets the bar.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Good question.....Truth is there is no standard or prerequisite for labeling a domain as "premium"...For that reason, it has made for some interesting domain listings over the years..:xf.grin:

•••
•••
From https://www.name.com/support/articles/205934667-Purchasing-a-Premium-Domain

"Premium Domains work a little differently than normal domain purchases do. If you search for a domain at Name.com and it says the domain is "Premium," it means that someone owns it and is willing to sell the domain name for the price listed."

"
Expiring Domains
These are domain names that were not renewed by their registrant. It’s your chance to buy the domain before it’s deleted.

Premium Domains
These domains typically contain popular keywords and phrases, so they have premium pricing."

"
Name.com, unfortunately, does not assist nor guide with the resale of domain names, so users are unable to list domain names with Name.com directly for aftermarket sale.

However, users can utilize many of the online providers who allow aftermarket listings, and two examples recommended would be Sedo.com and Afternic.com. "

I think there is a difference between what name.com and what fellow domainers refer to as premium.
For domainers, they are attaching a value to the name. I do not believe it is the same case with name.com.

So, for name.com premium domain = not expiring domain, thus all, they have
1. normal / expiring domains 2. premium domains

•••
People who want to control things. lol

•••
short domain that have meaning! and most people can type that domain in their browser! e.g sex.com, forex.com, insurance.com, and etc! sorry Google.com namepros.com its not premium! :)

•••
almost forget! the one that decide premium or not, its your buyer! :)

•••
premium names, speak for themselves

no one has to label it, it labels itself

it stands out from the crowd,
it's voice is loud, even in silence

imo.....

•••
Who decides a premium name?

Every domainer who owns and sells 'any and all' types of domains on NP, from typos, to made up, to nonsensical, to worthless, to no meaning, to gibberish and on and on . Just check the for sale threads! :rolleyes:

•••
So who decides 'Premium' names on hand-reg? Is it the Registrars or the Registries?
I've seen a name I'd like to reg. It's almost £4000 with one registrar (who have it listed as 'Premium'), and £14 with another. Is this a mistake?

•••
I'm starting to believe that it has nothing to do with the name, but is just related to the fact that the buyer or agent wants to increase the sale price above the market average. Oh wait! there isn't a market average - well maybe that's how they can get away with it.

I picked up a dropped name for reg fee, and it's ranked as premium in a few places to my surprise, the name is FoxFoo.com. I guess they think it is premium because it is a 2x3 name, and the words don't matter.

•••
Is the 'premium' a result of marketing? Do domains associated with recognizable domainers and marketplaces seem more 'premium'? For example, ask Brandbucket. They hope we think they know how to identify 'premium'.

Have you actually looked up and analyzed such domains? Many are drops from just a few months ago, some are all new 2017 hand-registered. Don't believe it? Go to hosterstats and put them to the test. And voila, brandable domains are born and offered at $1500-$3000+. You must Lovee it (17k, dropped in 2015).

Do yourself a favor by going to expireddomains dot net and spend couple hours searching dropped domains - use some filters and key words and you are bound to find decent brandable domains. Then hand-register them for $9 and off you go to start your venture or a competing marketplace that would not pigup 2000% markup. Or visit other more affordable marketplaces - there are dozens to check out.

Readytorumble dot com yet? (30k, dropped in 2016). Premium or Dumpbucket?

•••
premium names, speak for themselves

no one has to label it, it labels itself

it stands out from the crowd,
it's voice is loud, even in silence

imo.....

I agree here, when it comes to "premium names" You do not even have to do research you simply know they are valuable because they are well known and popular. As biggie said the names simply speak for themselves. And no one can disagree with the simple fact they have tremendous value.

Quick examples just randomly coming up with these:
  • win .com
  • freedom . com
  • believe .com
  • power .com
  • yes .com
- Will

•••
Aged/registered in multiple extensions/lots of search results and lots of potential end users.

That’s what i would regard as a ‘premium’ as far as domains is concerned if you own the .com.

Last edited:
•••
not sure I ll regard these as premium but there you have it.
IMG_20171103_142159_614.JPG

•••
I wouldn't pick those up for reg fee off a drop list :)

•••
@cooljub @mirecart

When you see "Premium" listings when looking to register a domain - it is another domain seller who has already registered that name and put it up for sale on places such as Afternic (for example). Afternic then has a network that connects to the registrars and provides these "premium" results.

Basically - Premium <> Premium

Premium=For sale a person/not the registry

Until you get into GTLDs - then the registry can decide to make a domain Premium. That's a whole other subject though.

•••
When you see "Premium" listings when looking to register a domain - it is another domain seller who has already registered that name and put it up for sale
Thanks Michael. I wonder why a name listed for sale at £4000 as 'premium' with one registrar would be available for £14 at another. Has the first added £3986 in the hope someone will buy it at their price?

•••
@cooljub - Possible there is an old marketplace listing at that one registrar for a name that is expired and actually available?

Many registrars have their own marketplaces along with integrating with sites like Afternic/Sedo. So that is a possibility.

Or the domain is actually registered and the one register at showing it for 14 is incorrectly telling you it is available at regfee. These bugs do happen.

Hard to say for sure though without knowing specifics, and even then I could only speculate depending on the situation.

•••
some days ago, i buy a domain name feeuni.com and its not a expired domain, its was newly my creative and i sold this domain within a week $200..can i sold this domain more than $200 because it's look like premium.?

•••
Anything I try to sell lol

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back