IT.COM

auctions Whiskey.com [was] at $2,000,000 on Flippa [fake bid removed]

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Whiskey.com

Auction on Flippa currently has 10bids and is at $2,000,000

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Was the reserve met at $2,000,000?

I would change the reserve due to the fraudulent bidder, might discourage other bidders.
Great domain, I hope you & seller do well but I think on a global platform Whisky is better.

•••
I would change the reserve due to the fraudulent bidder, might discourage other bidders.
Great domain, I hope hey do well but I think on a global platform Whisky is better.

Check screenshot of Google trends...I believe the world differs :)
Whisky VS Whiskey.png

•••
i see whiskeyy.com registered on mac 2014.. is a new domain. also available whiskeyy.org whiskeyy.net

•••
•••
•••
Is it worth $2M ???

Definitely. When you look at domains like Vodka.com / Wine.com and Whisky.com all breaking $3M...this domain is an instant winner for any Whiskey business.

•••
Definitely. When you look at domains like Vodka.com / Wine.com and Whisky.com all breaking $3M...this domain is an instant winner for any Whiskey business.
goodluck ..

•••
We immediately pushed for verification and concluded it was a fake bidder. It was taken care of in under 20-30 minutes. These things happen.
No, these things happen at auction sites with a reputation for fake bidders.

I totally agree that a pre-verification over a certain amount would be beneficial to the platform :) As the broker for the name Whiskey.com, you can imagine how much I would have enjoyed that verification being done before the bid.

As a broker of a domain with a reserve of $2,000,000 I would have imagined you would have picked an auction house that did that verification instead of one that had a reputation for fake bidders. Excuse me while I go setup an account and bid $1,999,999.

•••
•••
No, these things happen at auction sites with a reputation for fake bidders.

As a broker of a domain with a reserve of $2,000,000 I would have imagined you would have picked an auction house that did that verification instead of one that had a reputation for fake bidders. Excuse me while I go setup an account and bid $1,999,999.

I was contracted as the broker by Flippa. The fake bidding doesn't happen as often as you think, and I am personally the biggest fan of Flippa there is. Our decision to list these domains on their platform was a universal agreement, which I will do over..and over...and over again :)

•••
Pretty sure there are verifications on Flippa, might just not be able to catch all of them.

•••
Pretty sure there are verifications on Flippa, might just not be able to catch all of them.

Million dollar domain/sale's would be a start! :)

•••
•••
You should do like some of the others and any bidding over X amount the bidder must be verified. Just a suggestion...

There is an inherent problem with that strategy. Sometimes new people sign up specifically to bid on the name. That does not necessarily mean that they do not have the funds.

•••
Actually they are two different names. The name you refer to below was the sale for whisky.com, the current auction is for whiskey.com.

Whiskey.com sold in 2009 for $185,000.

Having read the $3,100,000 back story on DNJournal for Whiskey.com a second time around, I found this interesting snippet near the end:

In nearly 1 year, they have not been able to re-brand or make more sales? Something seems fishy about this whole deal now.

Any clarification by Michael Castello or the broker?

I can't seem to find too much information on who the "largest supplier of whiskey in Europe" is and if they're going under or if this was just an absurd assumption to be made.

•••
Fake bidder. It happens.

Ya think?

Yes, I am brokering the domain exclusively on Flippa.com Bidding is still going on.

Are Flippa employees bidding against clueless customers in this auction? I believe that Flippa allows its employees to bid against customers, as long as the SELLER is in on it. Is that what's happening here?

•••
I'm guessing it's spelled without the "e" in the States?

•••
•••
•••
•••
i mean the similar domain of whiskey.com still available. whiskeyy.net whiskeyy.org
Yes it's similar, but can't see it holding a fraction of the value of Whiskey.com. Looks more like the Gamertag of a Call of Duty player.

•••
Yes it's similar, but can't see it holding a fraction of the value of Whiskey.com. Looks more like the Gamertag of a Call of Duty player.
yeah, i also think like that. i don't have this domain. but i see it some good option. its miss spell.. whiskeyy.com has done registered on march 2014.

•••
There is an inherent problem with that strategy. Sometimes new people sign up specifically to bid on the name. That does not necessarily mean that they do not have the funds.

Good auction houses and brokers have usually made key parties (with millions to bid) aware. You don't buy Van Goghs at a flea market, you don't sell Ferraris in the Ghetto...

I'm guessing it's spelled without the "e" in the States?
More or less the other way around. Scotch is without the "e" - or variants of such. Suntori, for example, is still whisky though it's produced in Japan. Whiskey is more American an Irish... so no matter what google trends tells you, whisky is far more valuable then whiskey.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back