Domain Empire

Which keywords to target/market

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
hi everybody!

i'm looking to build killer content and have just finished keyword research, but i need some help figuring out which words i should build content around (in terms of titles, tags, etc.) and which words i should put in the content for good pr, SEO and CPC (and google adsense)

here is the data i now have:

(for each word)

-number of sites in which google finds those word(s) in that exact order (SEO)

-number of pages with those word(s) in the title (Title Comp)

-number of broad searches for that word

-number of searches for that phrase

-number of searches which are exact for those word(s)

-adwords CPC (broad)

-adwords CPC (phrase)

-adwords CPC (exact)

could you give me an example of a winning formula?

i.e.: low SEO# + High Title# + High Adwords + High Exact search = success

thank you for any help you can offer!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There is no exact formula - if there was, we'd all be billionaires. Even if someone were to give you a formula that worked for THEM, if you implement it in a way the search engines don't like, it won't do you a bit of good. But I'll give you some feedback:

-number of sites in which google finds those word(s) in that exact order (SEO)

-number of pages with those word(s) in the title (Title Comp)

This is the number of competing pages and the number of competing pages where people are deliberately targeting a particular keyword. Less competition can be good - or it can mean that the term isn't WORTH targeting.

-number of broad searches for that word
Useless.

-number of searches for that phrase

Interesting only if the phrase is rarely or never searched by itself. There is useful information to be found looking at phrase match, but the number of searches isn't it.

-number of searches which are exact for those word(s)

Self-explanatory. If the phrase gets a lot of searches, people are looking for it. If you have a lot of searches and no competition, that's a good thing ...IF the phrase can be monetized.

-adwords CPC (broad)
-adwords CPC (phrase)
-adwords CPC (exact)

Useless, except as a GENERAL indicator of which keywords are COMPARATIVELY more costly, and whether or not advertisers are interested in them.

The adwords CPC numbers apply to the Google SEARCH NETWORK ONLY. The ads which show through Adsense are the DISPLAY NETWORK, which is a different thing altogether.

Don't try to blindly go by numbers, look at the whole picture and THINK!

Last edited:
•••
wow, enlytend, thank you very much for your precise feedback!

in fact, it's so precise, it's not so easy for a newbie like myself to follow.

the last part, for example, stating:
The adwords CPC numbers apply to the Google SEARCH NETWORK ONLY. The ads which show through Adsense are the DISPLAY NETWORK, which is a different thing altogether.
have me wondering how i can find data on the display network as i thought the google search network would suffice.

however, overall, THANK YOU for beiing so kind and helpful!

•••
have me wondering how i can find data on the display network as i thought the google search network would suffice.
however, overall, THANK YOU for beiing so kind and helpful!

You're welcome :).

There really is no display network data by keyword because of the way it works.

Advertisers can specify keyword(s), but the ads aren't displayed for a particular keyword - they're displayed on pages where Google thinks the page content is in the same CONTEXT as the keywords the advertiser provided.

For example: The advertiser could choose keywords like "mid sized binoculars" and "spotting scopes" and maybe even "brandname binoculars" - Google might show that ad on a bird watching site, on a page which talks about what equipment to use.

Rule of thumb: display network bids are usually lower than similar bids on the search network.

Overall, if it's a highly commercial and competitive topic click prices will be higher too. Non-commercial topics with few advertisers may not have much competition, but you'll be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Again, use that round thing on top of your shoulders ;) instead of overanalyzing and placing too much importance on numbers.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back