Domain Empire

domain Which is BETTER? Guatemala.GT or Tegucigalpa.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Carolina.SC

Established Member
Impact
Honest question -- I'd like to know which one of these domain names is worth more. Which one should I prioritize for development?

Guatemala.GT

Name of the country and the capital city (18 million and 4 million). Central America's largest country and city by population. The first level of the domain name and the second level mean the same thing. Also, it's rare to get a ccTLD with the short form of the country's name. Most are prohibited to register or the government uses it as its official site. Guatemala is a democratic country, no president can serve more than four years, free speech, business-friendly, etc. Guatemala GDP per capita -> $4,600. The ".gt" is not uncommon in Guatemala, but most of the major local news sites seem to use the ".com". Guatemala homicide rate per 100K people -> 23.

Tegucigalpa.com

Capital city of Honduras and its largest city. City's pop. is 1.5 M. Honduras population is 10 M. Honduras GDP per capita -> $2,500. The ".com" is not uncommon in Honduras, but most of the local news sites seem to use the ".hn". Also a democratic country, but slightly less stable than Guatemala. Honduras homicide rate per 100K people -> 43. Honduras arguably has fewer tourist attractions than Guatemala, but it has better beaches and it does have some Caribbean islands.

Please, I'm not just asking this question to promote these domains. I'm honestly torn over which one to develop. Is one clearly of vastly greater value than the other? Thank you!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
One thing's sure: .com is more immune to potential whims of local domain authority.

•••
One thing's sure: .com is more immune to potential whims of local domain authority.

True. Last week I tried to register Togo.TG and had it for two days until the registry just deleted it. However, Guatemala is a stable democracy (unlike Togo) and this domain has been in private hands for many years.

•••
Depends on whether website would be developed for advertising/passive income etc, or for resale. It might be significantly more difficult to sell .gt.

•••
Depends on whether website would be developed for advertising/passive income etc, or for resale. It might be significantly more difficult to sell .gt.

Yes, and for one thing, it requires the seller to physically submit documents at an office in Guatemala City, and to have a lawyer put his stamp or whatever on some documents.

Let's say I just want to do a tourism magazine for one of those countries. Would one of these names clearly have much more potential, in terms of marketing / inherent "super-premium" status?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back