NameSilo

Where does natural traffic come from?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I'm wondering where natrual traffic coms from. I do see some natural traffic to some of my undeveloped (no content) domain. Anyone knows? Thanks in advance. :blink:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
jeffhuang said:
I'm wondering where natrual traffic coms from. I do see some natural traffic to some of my undeveloped (no content) domain. Anyone knows? Thanks in advance. :blink:

It comes from people who naturally type-in your domain name in their browser.

If you have name.com you have more chances to have natural traffic than if you own thebestname.bz ...

Grégoire.

•••
•••
•••
Natural traffic comes from 3 sources:

1. The clueless newbies to the Internet wondering what sex.com and playboy.com looks like.

2. The thousands of domain speculators around the world hoping to see if there is a Going Bankrupt Firesale! For Sale Cheap sign behind a name, or who the bugger registered the name they wanted.

3. Bots from search engines and trademark protection services.

Natural traffic does not necessarily equate to natural sales conversion, nor natural sex.

It is just a function of a complicated mish-mash of what transverses the Internet pipeline.

•••
mole said:

1. The clueless newbies to the Internet wondering what sex.com and playboy.com looks like.

2. The thousands of domain speculators around the world hoping to see if there is a Going Bankrupt Firesale! For Sale Cheap sign behind a name, or who the bugger registered the name they wanted.

3. Bots from search engines and trademark protection services.

Natural traffic does not necessarily equate to natural sales conversion, nor natural sex.

It is just a function of a complicated mish-mash of what transverses the Internet pipeline.

Interesting, did not think about all these possibilities !

Grégoire.

•••
mole said:

Often wonder what percentage this Covers :laugh:

•••
•••
thanks everyone.

a further question...if i register a new domain name and park it at sedo or what else to make profit, how should i choose a name to register? i mean, what kind of name will be better.

•••
jeffhuang said:
thanks everyone.

a further question...if i register a new domain name and park it at sedo or what else to make profit, how should i choose a name to register? i mean, what kind of name will be better.

Well it all depends on what category of the domain you want to register, it's hard to just give a name out of nowhere and not knowing what category you want it to fit in. For example if it were in a technology category we could give you suggestions like computerhut and things like that.

•••
Natural traffic comes exclusively from organically grown, free range internet users bearing the “GM Free”, or “GMO Free” label.
I think you have to define “natural” is before anyone can tell you where it comes from.

Typeins are probably the most natural thing there is. I wouldn't classify speculators who type in a name any different, but if you're talking about click generating typeins then you should.

Bots are about the most unnatural source of traffic I can think of. It could be argued that they are the internet version of cockroaches. Found everywhere, mostly just annoying. but fulfilling a vital role in the ecosystem. Many people don't strip bot traffic from their stats leading them to falsely believe that a crap name gets 100+ uniques a month.

Search engine traffic has to be sort of natural. At least there's a real human behind the browser. Same goes for most directories. If those are sort of natural then most back links would probably be as well.

I would say it becomes unnatural when you pay for the traffic. So a paid directory listing, affiliate, or PPC click would not be. A traffic trade would probably also be unnatural. Same goes for buying clicks.

•••
usually type ins or maybe you bought a domain that has existing traffic to it

•••
I like it! Can we all agree to call domains with type in traffic "Free Range Domains". This is FANTASTIC!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back