Get your catchy domain at it.com

discuss Where do you get your hand registration ideas from?

Dynadot
Impact
For those of you who are heavy into hand registrations, how do you get an idea to hand register domain names?

1) Google Search 3 letter, 4 letter, dictionary words
2) While reading an article about something
3) Using domain generation tools
4) Recommendation by the registrar
5) Looking at recent sales

What else?

This could be across extensions

Last edited:
Impact
For me, if it is a new extension, Google search and previous sales on NameBio helps.
If it is a .COM, then I use LeanDomainSearch

I never go for recommendations from the registar because they usually recommend the worst domain names.
Sometimes, I get ideas while reading an article but that's very rare

NickB

it's a mystery
Impact
I enjoy reading about science, new tech, future tech, finance, health care, education etc etc etc

So looking through University Publications, Incubator sites, Funding news, science and Tech articles, google scholar, general news or specific sites in fields of interest, listening to podcasts, interviews etc etc

Depends on the persons interests and the research put into it.....

Cross check with popular domain keywords, take a punt on whether future tech will become reality/mainstream in the medium - long term and see if any 2 word combos make sense

If your lucky you can get an EMD, if not.......I personally like using 2 keywords - one word involving the niche the other being a popular domain keyword, just my personal opinion/preference

I don't really get involved with pure Brandable hand regs, I don't use BrandPa, SquadHelp etc and I don't hand reg that much any more - lessons learnt........and if I do they are for the long term in the areas of interest that I follow...

Others will follow recent sales, trends, play around with domain generation tools as mentioned or have there own methods which they won't share if it's working for them - whatever floats your boat - as long as it sells at some point

Looking through the sales thread on Namepros people are having success in hand regging and selling within 12 - 18 months in the xxx - very low x,xxx range on a consistent/regular basis, requires a lot of work, skill and experience to put together a profitable portfolio that does that though.....It's not a case of hand regging 2,000 domains at $1 a piece for example and hoping a few sell

So the opening line "for those heavy into hand registrations" should come with a caution......in case it give new people in the industry any ideas......

ThatNameGuy

Restricted (15-30%)
Impact
For those of you who are heavy into hand registrations, how do you get an idea to hand register domain names?

What else?

more recently I've been a binge buyer of .LINK domains. Why?....because it's a viable alternative to .com, and ".LINK is no worse than .XYZ" according to one of the most highly recognized and respected registrar owners in the domain industry.

I get my ideas from everywhere whether it's from TV, watching shows like Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune, from the radio (note the famous radio test:xf.wink:), from printed materials ie. trade journals, magazines, bill boards etc. But mostly due to my wild imagination.

Also, i get some of my ideas from vanity license plates, mine says "Name Guy". I've started, named and operated over a dozen businesses involving a variety of industries since the 1970's, and while I'm not a politician Thank God, i've traveled the world and I'm about to get my first Tatoo saying iLUVeveryone❤️ because this is who i am, and i own the domain iluveveryone.com.

Finally, while I've hand registered over a thousand .LINK domains to include dozens of Premium names, there's one thing i honestly don't understand, and that's why the new owners of the .LINK extension are ignoring me and don't want me binge buying their domains??? Unless they're up to something illegal being they're operating offshore in Malta, i'm astounded by their behavior. Ironically UNR (Cayman Island Operation) and Frank Schilling sold 20+ of their/his TLD's to the likes of Go Daddy, and private investors like Yoni Belousav of the Nova Registry.

I bring all this up because I've spent from 10 to 12 hours a day for the last 30+ days "hand registering" .LINK domains that have unreal unbelievable potential:xf.grin:

More to follow abstract domainer....and thanks for starting this thread.

bamboozle

Established Member
Impact
more recently I've been a binge buyer of .LINK domains. Why?....because it's a viable alternative to .com, and ".LINK is no worse than .XYZ" according to one of the most highly recognized and respected registrar owners in the domain industry.

I get my ideas from everywhere whether it's from TV, watching shows like Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune, from the radio (note the famous radio test:xf.wink:), from printed materials ie. trade journals, magazines, bill boards etc. But mostly due to my wild imagination.

Also, i get some of my ideas from vanity license plates, mine says "Name Guy". I've started, named and operated over a dozen businesses involving a variety of industries since the 1970's, and while I'm not a politician Thank God, i've traveled the world and I'm about to get my first Tatoo saying iLUVeveryone❤️ because this is who i am, and i own the domain iluveveryone.com.

Finally, while I've hand registered over a thousand .LINK domains to include dozens of Premium names, there's one thing i honestly don't understand, and that's why the new owners of the .LINK extension are ignoring me and don't want me binge buying their domains??? Unless they're up to something illegal being they're operating offshore in Malta, i'm astounded by their behavior. Ironically UNR (Cayman Island Operation) and Frank Schilling sold 20+ of their/his TLD's to the likes of Go Daddy, and private investors like Yoni Belousav of the Nova Registry.

I bring all this up because I've spent from 10 to 12 hours a day for the last 30+ days "hand registering" .LINK domains that have unreal unbelievable potential:xf.grin:

More to follow abstract domainer....and thanks for starting this thread.
.xyz is not bad and .link is much worse than .xyz. At least .xyz has sales and parent companies.

karmaco

Top Contributor
Impact

What else?

I am not telling you. You haven’t even proven you are not a bot or are an actual domainer in 2.5 years but by all means keep posting question after question after poll after question threads.

BTW what the hell is an abstract domainer? You either are one or you’re not one.

Have a lovely day everyone who is a human.

ThatNameGuy

Restricted (15-30%)
Impact
I enjoy reading about science, new tech, future tech, finance, health care, education etc etc etc

So looking through University Publications, Incubator sites, Funding news, science and Tech articles, google scholar, general news or specific sites in fields of interest, listening to podcasts, interviews etc etc

Depends on the persons interests and the research put into it.....

Cross check with popular domain keywords, take a punt on whether future tech will become reality/mainstream in the medium - long term and see if any 2 word combos make sense

If your lucky you can get an EMD, if not.......I personally like using 2 keywords - one word involving the niche the other being a popular domain keyword, just my personal opinion/preference

I don't really get involved with pure Brandable hand regs, I don't use BrandPa, SquadHelp etc and I don't hand reg that much any more - lessons learnt........and if I do they are for the long term in the areas of interest that I follow...

Others will follow recent sales, trends, play around with domain generation tools as mentioned or have there own methods which they won't share if it's working for them - whatever floats your boat - as long as it sells at some point

Looking through the sales thread on Namepros people are having success in hand regging and selling within 12 - 18 months in the xxx - very low x,xxx range on a consistent/regular basis, requires a lot of work, skill and experience to put together a profitable portfolio that does that though.....It's not a case of hand regging 2,000 domains at $1 a piece for example and hoping a few sell

So the opening line "for those heavy into hand registrations" should come with a caution......in case it give new people in the industry any ideas......
Good post NickB....remember this headline from Andrew Allemann and Domain Name Wire?

Holy sh!t…Verisign just called out “Domain Scalpers” and its biggest customers​

newbies should be aware of this too before they hand reg another domain.....the more you know the better:xf.wink:

Top down