IT.COM

question When Is Midnight, In Your Opinion?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Cdomains

Top Member
Impact
Where I live, right now, it is Saturday afternoon, August 19, 2017.

If I said I was going to meet you for dinner today at midnight, when would that be?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It already past - Midnight is 00:00:00, that why all the smart promos have an ending time of 11:59 PM so there is no confusion.

•••
It already past - Midnight is 00:00:00, that why all the smart promos have an ending time of 11:59 PM so there is no confusion.

Did you get that answer by Googling the question?

•••
At New Years Eve in the US, we count down at midnight on the last day of the year and then it is the next day - the first of the new year.

•••
Did you get that answer by Googling the question?

LOL no - you know me and promos : grin : Plus have to know UTC time for all my various ccTLD sniping adventures

•••

If a friend said they would meet me at midnight, I would understand that to be later on that night at 12pm, wouldn't you?

•••
•••
Where I live, right now, it is Saturday afternoon, August 19, 2017.

If I said I was going to meet you for dinner today at midnight, when would that be?

Is this a trick question? like, you said 'today at midnight' but it should be 'tonight at midnight' or something?

Since you're talking about the future it should be the midnight that it's first coming from the time you are arranging the meeting, that is, in [upcoming 00:00am (or 24)] minus [Current Time] hours.

In your case that would be in the 20th of August at 00.00am assuming we're talking about roughly the same location you are now.

•••
The more you think about it, the less sense it makes. 12 am is midnight where I'm from lol

•••
In your case that would be in the 20th of August at 00.00am assuming we're talking about roughly the same location you are now.

So you are saying that midnight would be later on in that same day.

•••
So, if I was going to meet you at midnight for today that would be later on at night for this day, right?

•••
Why is this in general domain discussion?

Anyboo, midnight is not an opinion, it's a fact. It's a place in time that is exactly in the same spot of the clock every day of every year.

Midnight = 12am wherever you or I are.

•••
Last edited:
•••
So, if I was going to meet you at midnight for today that would be later on at night for this day, right?

If the point of the question is the mixup of the day where 'midnight' belongs to then I think I understand your question and it's all about perspective.

If I meet you tonight (stressing the word 'tonight' being during this particular day) then, even if our meeting is at 02.00 of the next day, for the two of us, tonight will be an extension of the present day.

If on the other hand we set a point of time in the far future which will be irrelevant of our current state, then it will be midnight or 01.00 or 02.00 of the day that said time belong to.

You need to clarify why you are asking that question so you can get more relevant answers. Communication between two people can get quite complex if you try to analyse it literally.

•••
The reason I ask is because I just lost a valuable domain because I was told I had until midnight on August 19 (today) to renew it and when I went to renew it this morning, it was already gone from my account.

•••
The reason I ask is because I just lost a valuable domain because I was told I had until midnight on August 19 (today) to renew it and when I went to renew it this morning, it was already gone from my account.

Yeah, what usernamex mentioned with promos and why more do it with 11:59 pm. When is midnight August 20th? Can be different things to different people. For me it's the minute after 11:59PM on August 20th. Gotta renew earlier.

•••
I'm sorry for your loss but that belongs to the second case I mentioned on my previous post... that is, the domain drops on the beginning of the 19th of August, ie. it's already past unfortunately

•••
Ah. Well it's possible your domain is gone because midnight tonight has already come and gone in whatever time zone it is registered in.

Otherwise, midnight would be tonight at 12am (1 second later than 11:59pm).

Can't be that valuable of a domain if you would wait till last second to renew it??

•••
Ah. Well it's possible your domain is gone because midnight tonight has already come and gone in whatever time zone it is registered in.

Not the time zone.

Otherwise, midnight would be tonight at 12am (1 second later than 11:59pm)

So you are saying it would be at the end of today the 19th, later on tonight, right?

•••
Sorry to hear about the domain.

Midnight tonight is the 20th unfortunately.

•••
Sorry to hear about the domain.

Midnight tonight is the 20th unfortunately.

I agree, midnight should be tonight, in other words later on tonight, and one minute after would be the 20th, right?

•••
For me it's the minute after 11:59PM on August 20th

So you think midnight is at the end of a given day - correct?

So if today is the 19th of Aug., midnight is at the end of this day where the next day would be the 20th?

•••
So you think midnight is at the end of a given day - correct?

So if today is the 19th of Aug., midnight is at the end of this day where the next day would be the 20th?

"When is midnight August 20th? For me it's the minute after 11:59PM on August 20th."

So yes, 20th comes after 19th.

Last edited:
•••
"When is midnight August 20th? For me it's the minute after 11:59PM on August 20th."

I agree!!

I had until midnight today to renew my domain and it was removed from my account before I logged in this morning.

•••

'today" incorrect. This is why everyone uses tonight. Cheers

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back