IT.COM

question When Is Midnight, In Your Opinion?

NameSilo
Watch

Cdomains

Top Member
Impact
Where I live, right now, it is Saturday afternoon, August 19, 2017.

If I said I was going to meet you for dinner today at midnight, when would that be?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Don't wait until the last day to renew valuable domains

I agree, but sometimes life gets in the way and domains are the last thing you are prepared to deal with.

Sh*t happens, and I missed this one until the last minute.

I lost a really good brandable that would easily sell on BB for 2 - 4k. :xf.sick:

•••
I had until midnight today to renew my domain and it was removed from my account before I logged in this morning.

I don't know what timezone you live in, but for me "midnight today" technically occurred 16 hours 46 min ago.

There is a looser, casual usage that is not technically correct and would not stand up in a legal definition type way. Every new day technically starts the exact moment the clock hits 12:00:00 AM.

•••
•••
'today" incorrect. This is why everyone uses tonight. Cheers
Interesting. Yes, people tend to say "midnight tonight". The second midnight comes, it is precisely a brand new day.

•••
There is only one midnight and it's the first midnight after the last midnight (12 am) so if at 2 am someone tells you they will meet you at midnight that means midnight or 12 am of the day you are in at the moment. There is no other way to look at it.

11:59 today is day 19, 12:00 am or midnight is day 20.

•••
When Is Midnight, In Your Opinion?

Midnight is that part of the night when domainers look for expired domains and hope that other domainers are fast asleep to grab the fresh drops.

•••
@Cdomains - whos is the registrar and what extension? Are you certain it is lost, like you know for sure it was sold in aftermarket/auction? If not it may be recoverable.

If you were at nSilo or GD or DomFam and your domain SOLD and the deadline time for you to renew already passed, then yes, you lost it. If it simply expired and is out of your account, there is still a possibility of recovery.

•••
Midnight is the beginning of the day
example
11:59 pm Aug 19
one minute later will be
12:00 am Aug 20

•••
•••
If a friend said they would meet me at midnight, I would understand that to be later on that night at 12pm, wouldn't you?

of course
what else

when shall we 3 meet again?

•••
I agree!!

I had until midnight today to renew my domain and it was removed from my account before I logged in this morning.
You're not factoring in Timezones (I'm late to the thread and haven't read it fully but this is the cause of your confusion. "Midnight" is relative to the timezone (which itself is determined by the location). So your midnight is different from the midnight in another timezone

•••
when i hear my chickens going off outside, That means the pharoah hogs are out roaming, which is always close to midnight , If not 12:00A straight up, never fails, So i consider that Midnight in my world.

Last edited:
•••
@Cdomains - you left us hanging - was this a domain you lost due to it being sold at auction? And if so what registrar so we can learn and at least maybe help another person prevent this in the future.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back