Dynadot

When do domains get suspended?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Hashim

Established Member
Impact
A .co.uk domain name that I really like is due to expire, and 7 different drop catching/backordering sites say that it can't be booked because it's currently suspended. Do domains become suspended the moment they expire, or is there a specific amount of time after that that they don't?

Thank you.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@Rob Monster can probably answer.

Epik can arrange backorders.

•••
A .co.uk domain name that I really like is due to expire, and 7 different drop catching/backordering sites say that it can't be booked because it's currently suspended. Do domains become suspended the moment they expire, or is there a specific amount of time after that that they don't?

Thank you.

Hey Hashim,
You've mentioned that it's "due to expire", and then mentioned that it's "suspended".
When is the domain expiration date?
Is it passed that date at the moment?
Was it suspended BEFORE getting into expiration date? If yes, then what was the reason of suspension?

•••
Hey Hashim,
You've mentioned that it's "due to expire", and then mentioned that it's "suspended".
When is the domain expiration date?
Is it passed that date at the moment?
Was it suspended BEFORE getting into expiration date? If yes, then what was the reason of suspension?

Sorry, there was a typo in the original post. The domain is currently not suspended, and I was asking how long it takes a domain to go from expiry (which is in a few weeks) to being suspended (at which point I assume the dropcatchers will finally let me place backorders). Does a domain become suspended the moment that it expires?

Last edited:
•••
•••
Sorry, there was a typo in the original post. The domain is currently not suspended, and I was asking how long it takes a domain to go from expiry (which is in a few weeks) to being suspended (at which point I assume the dropcatchers will finally let me place backorders). Does a domain become suspended the moment that it expires?

Yes, domain name will stop resolving the moment they expire.
For .UK extension, there should be 30 days of renewal grace period, followed by 60 days of redemption period. After that, there is 5 day of deletion period.
So, the answer to your question is: No matter when service provider will allow you to sign up for a drop-catch for this one, they won't be able to process it until the domain name ends it's redemption period.
I hope that answers your question.
Stay safe!

•••
•••
Thats a great source!
I think it deals with gTLDs managed by Nominet, and not ccTLDs. Those might have different set of rules, though.

Ohw, didn't check it out before I posted but pulled it straight from my bookmarks :) was under the impression, since it's a nominet source, it would also mention the UK/co.uk lifecycles.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back