Domain Empire

When are you safe from a UDRP with similar name to TM

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
This is not Legal advise, I am not a Lawyer, just my personal observations.

Hi, I was in a previous discussion regarding the chance of losing a domain name that is getting significant traffic because it is being mistaken for a well know website.

The name does not need to be exactly similar to be a potential problem. The trading off complaint can be made even if the domain names are only slightly similar. Think of a domain name that on it's own would not generate any traffic as it has never been developed or advertised, yet it gets significant traffic just sitting parked or otherwise unused.

A complainant could try to make the case the unusually large traffic the the website is un-natural and can only be the case of mistaken identity to the well know site, therefore the trading off complaint could be shown to be valid.

The best defence would be at the early stages of ownership to make a valid website destination, with unique content. This site could obtain reasonable popularity and offer a plausible reason for the traffic. It could cloud the issue of un-natural traffic and make it very hard to make the trading off complaint, stand up.

Many refer to the original registration date, if it pre-dates the actual start up of the popular website, offers immunity to a UDRP filing.

This only holds true to the original and successive owners, if their registrations or purchases also pre-date the popular websites creation date. This creation date can also be extended earlier if there was any public press about the intended project name or if a registrant was an insider with private news.

Some UDRP panels have said that the registration date is effectively reset every time a new owner takes ownership. Like musical chairs the final owner must have purchased, acquired the name before the Start up of the popular website.

This can cause problems for new owners of great domain name that may not necessarily sound or look exactly the same as a Trade Marked name but the public thinks they are the same.

So if you acquire such a domain name beware that you could face these difficulties and as soon as possible put up a legitimate website that has nothing to do with the other trade marked/popular website. If you did all this prior to them being popular/well known you should, could, be okay. It really depends on how similar the domain names are at that point.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The domain name in question it is clearly targeting Whatsapp that is a legitimate business.
No way to win if you keep this domain in parking.

Domains like this are the reason of why domianers have a bad reputation, considered like traffic theft or Hijacker.
How to say no in a case like this when mostly of the ads diplayed are targeting app products?

•••
it seem so clear that someone is making money using a legitimate business name and this is a bad faith usage.
Enough to lose the domain name...

Attachments

• wassap.jpg
    wassap.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 68
•••
Some UDRP panels have said that the registration date is effectively reset every time a new owner takes ownership. Like musical chairs the final owner must have purchased, acquired the name before the Start up of the popular website.

This can cause problems for new owners of great domain name that may not necessarily sound or look exactly the same as a Trade Marked name but the public thinks they are the same.
suppose, i have a domain name charts.com and i have registred it in 1999 , so if today someone will buy a domain name echarts.com, then it would be considered as illegal, can i file a complaint againt that person who owned echarts.com , and running the same kind of business, and if he is running differnt business , then is its ok or not.

Can i file a compalint against him, if he is running same kind of business.
Can he comes under the TM issue or not.

thanks

•••
i just registered a domain named cbdyahoo.com.. yahoo is a dictionary word. so i can use it right?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back