Dynadot

What's your gift?

NameSilo
Watch

Have you figured out your gift?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yup, I did!

votes
    33.3%
  • I am pretty sure I figured it out

vote
    8.3%
  • Working on it

votes
    16.7%
  • I pretend I don't have any

votes
    0.0%
  • I think I might suck at everything

vote
    8.3%
  • This thread is stupid

votes
    33.3%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Rob Monster

Founder of EpikTop Member
Epik Founder
Impact
Over the years, I have been blessed with the opportunity to work with a lot of really talented people, including right here on NamePros.

As an employer and entrepreneur, I believe a key secret to success, besides faith, has been to help people discern their gift, and then to help them to leverage that gift in some relevant and timely way.

Too often, employers fall into the trap of viewing their staff as "bodies" or "headcount". This tends to result in a callous "hire and fire" mindset which views labor as replaceable widgets in a factory.

When we hire someone, it is now a burden on management and staff to discern the unique talents of each individual, and then help them to apply it, while covering for their blindspots.

So, if you want to know a secret for how to turn a B-player or C-player into an A-player, I advise to figure out what their gift is and play to that gift. You will increase their effectiveness, while also increasing their joy.

Related comment with video:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So, if you want to know a secret for how to turn a B-player or C-player into an A-player, I advise to figure out what their gift is and play to that gift. You will increase their effectiveness, while also increasing their joy.
This is an amazing mindset, and the opportunities missed by not adopting it will never be known, unless employers are willing tap into employees as a resource rather than remuneration end-game. Kudos to you for putting it out there, and implementing it.

You continue to push the yardstick, and always for the best it seems, thanks for that and to share it with all us with such openness.

Most corps today have adopted a "cross-training" mechanism for employees, basically have them all available to do all jobs, regardless of strengths or weaknesses. And then they all also all given the same weighting in terms of output (efficiency, productivity etc). Where it might look appealing on the surface perhaps to investors/stock holders because these kinds of measurements are easy to read, after-all numbers don't have faces, it is totally detrimental to the general well-being and morale of employees.

Focusing on, as you say, what people are gifted on or stronger at, is more work from the top down, but I hope we can return to it one day, in our societies. Allowing people's natural abilities take over a job, gives far better results in a snowball effect sort of way, that no black or white weighting could ever appreciate.

Good stuff!

- Hots

•••
This is an amazing mindset, and the opportunities missed by not adopting it will never be known, unless employers are willing tap into employees as a resource rather than remuneration end-game. Kudos to you for putting it out there, and implementing it.

You continue to push the yardstick, and always for the best it seems, thanks for that and to share it with all us with such openness.

Most corps today have adopted a "cross-training" mechanism for employees, basically have them all available to do all jobs, regardless of strengths or weaknesses. And then they all also all given the same weighting in terms of output (efficiency, productivity etc). Where it might look appealing on the surface perhaps to investors/stock holders because these kinds of measurements are easy to read, after-all numbers don't have faces, it is totally detrimental to the general well-being and morale of employees.

Focusing on, as you say, what people are gifted on or stronger at, is more work from the top down, but I hope we can return to it one day, in our societies. Allowing people's natural abilities take over a job, gives far better results in a snowball effect sort of way, that no black or white weighting could ever appreciate.

Good stuff!

- Hots

Thanks @HotKey - I am a big fan of you, especially your optimism. When we visited with you via Hi.Tv, we saw a lot of happy and fearless kids around you. I can see why.

As for the cross-training thing, I think you are right there. Bureaucracies want cross-training and documentation because they lack trust and engagement.

At Epik we have a culture built around empowerment. It is not rhetoric, in other words. The result is a whole bunch of enthusiastic folks finding their calling and purpose and applying it passionately.

As for your own gift, I think you might have left that detail out. So besides your enthusiastic personality, what is your gift or talent -- the thing that is easy for you but hard for others?

•••
Thanks @HotKey - I am a big fan of you, especially your optimism. When we visited with you via Hi.Tv, we saw a lot of happy and fearless kids around you. I can see why.

As for the cross-training thing, I think you are right there. Bureaucracies want cross-training and documentation because they lack trust and engagement.

At Epik we have a culture built around empowerment. It is not rhetoric, in other words. The result is a whole bunch of enthusiastic folks finding their calling and purpose and applying it passionately.

As for your own gift, I think you might have left that detail out. So besides your enthusiastic personality, what is your gift or talent -- the thing that is easy for you but hard for others?
Appreciate the sentiment, and right back at you, the feeling is mutual. Truly. Great fun to see other Rob's (Intelliname) wife pop into the room too.

You are right, about bureaucracies lacking trust and engagement. In many ways, as workers, we did it to ourselves, though. As the old adage goes, takes a few bad apples to ruin the bunch. Keeping trust is a commitment to faith, and once that bond is broken it is costly and time-consuming to rebuild. So depending on the size of the company, it is easier to become "faceless" and just draw a line across the board and keep the same expectations for all to that line, rather than the individual, regardless of circumstance.

Gift-wise, well, guess I was handed the gift of fairness. Have always believed that regardless of talent or status, we always have to consider what it's like to be in someone else's shoes, before coming to conclusions. And I think that sort of thing comes a bit more naturally to me, which is why I would call it a gift. But with any gift, comes payment for it. Being diplomatic has its hindrances. However, I wouldn't give it up for anything. The grass isn't always greener on the other side, sometimes the grass you're already walking in just needs a bit of water to flourish.

Now, to be fair, my wife would call me more of a dictator than a diplomat.. but that's another thing for another fire log..

Thanks for the opportunity to express, again. And that is a fantastic culture you've got going over there at Epik. Something else, for sure.

•••
Appreciate the sentiment, and right back at you, the feeling is mutual. Truly. Great fun to see other Rob's (Intelliname) wife pop into the room too.

You are right, about bureaucracies lacking trust and engagement. In many ways, as workers, we did it to ourselves, though. As the old adage goes, takes a few bad apples to ruin the bunch. Keeping trust is a commitment to faith, and once that bond is broken it is costly and time-consuming to rebuild. So depending on the size of the company, it is easier to become "faceless" and just draw a line across the board and keep the same expectations for all to that line, rather than the individual, regardless of circumstance.

Gift-wise, well, guess I was handed the gift of fairness. Have always believed that regardless of talent or status, we always have to consider what it's like to be in someone else's shoes, before coming to conclusions. And I think that sort of thing comes a bit more naturally to me, which is why I would call it a gift. But with any gift, comes payment for it. Being diplomatic has its hindrances. However, I wouldn't give it up for anything. The grass isn't always greener on the other side, sometimes the grass you're already walking in just needs a bit of water to flourish.

Now, to be fair, my wife would call me more of a dictator than a diplomat.. but that's another thing for another fire log..

Thanks for the opportunity to express, again. And that is a fantastic culture you've got going over there at Epik. Something else, for sure.

Good stuff.

As for gift, probably it would be classified "compassion" or "empathy". I believe it. The Biblical word for Charity is the Greek word "Agape", often translated as "Love" as in Love thy Neighbor.

As for being a benevolent Dictator, there have been a few in history.

Good one, by the way:

The grass isn't always greener on the other side, sometimes the grass you're already walking in just needs a bit of water to flourish.

Did you ever see this one?

Skip to 0:34 but the whole thing is great for anyone who has had to face adversity head-on.

•••
So besides your enthusiastic personality, what is your gift or talent

Long story short, I believe everyone has gifts and talents.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/so...t-do-domain-names-have-to-do-with-it.1161411/

My gift and talent is my memory. You keep dipping into the same well, you're repeating threads now. I was on the show Real People when I was 4 and memorized the names of 200 audience members. I also makeup stories.

MV5BZWNhOGFlYTItMTU3NC00ZDhhLTliNTUtNzZmZTkzMzRlYjQ1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTcwNDY0NQ@@._V1_.jpg

edited to add, found their YouTube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLspvsUXyalI8Do27FJMXHw/videos?view=0&sort=p&flow=grid

Apparently, they don't think memorization skills is worthy of an upload. Just doesn't get the views.

Last edited:
•••

https://www.namepros.com/threads/so...t-do-domain-names-have-to-do-with-it.1161411/

My gift and talent is my memory. You keep dipping into the same well, you're repeating threads now. I was on the show Real People when I was 4 and memorized the names of 200 audience members. I also makeup stories.

MV5BZWNhOGFlYTItMTU3NC00ZDhhLTliNTUtNzZmZTkzMzRlYjQ1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTcwNDY0NQ@@._V1_.jpg

I don't think this is a repeat topic but perhaps I missed that.

A calling is not the same as a gift.

Most people have gifts long before they are called.

As for your gift, yup, that's true. I have acknowledged it many times. I also said you would have been a great attorney.

•••

edited to add, found their YouTube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLspvsUXyalI8Do27FJMXHw/videos?view=0&sort=p&flow=grid

Apparently, they don't think memorization skills is worthy of an upload. Just doesn't get the views.

That is genius level memory! Do you still have it? Or faded?

•••
I think my gift is my empathy and ability to think outside the box (creativity)

•••
My gift is working several hours a day without extra payment. I never complain for anything. That's why my employee loves me very much. He always said "okan you are awesome, we could not handle this without you, keep up your good work" at least pay my lunch man.

Last edited:
•••
One of the biggest gifts is this amazing community that I have discovered here and the knowledge they share! I don't know if I am gifted in some way but the inspiring people who keep motivating with their knowledge surely are a gift to me.

Thanks @Rob Monster for another cool thread!

Cheers

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back