Domain Empire

What's up with the AI .com sales? (not there yet)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

twiki

Top Member
Impact
Everyone here knows .com is king. (Sure there are caveats... but anyway.)

Yet there are way too few .com AI domain sales for now, and I often see quite low figure sales for such names (barely above $1k).

I feel everything AI is still highly undervalued in comparison with Meta trend for example (even if short lived).

Sure, single word .AI domains sell nicely.

But even there, while there are quite a few sold for great 5-figs but many more still sold for entry level 4-fig. Perhaps most buys are yet from investors, not end users. Anyway - despite the trend, it's still undervalued if you ask me.

I have a ton of great AI names (coms), sold just one so far, because the market wants them for $1K. No, you're not going to have a good name for $1K, that is my clearance / EOL pricing on more or less rubbish names.

What gives?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
People lacking the courage of their convictions?

If someone has a strong ai + keyword or keyword + ai .com domain and they are under pricing it it just shows they are not confident with their pricing, not confident in the market (which would be crazy as it's going nowhere) or it could be they are looking for a quick flip?

Also not all Tech start ups are bothered to own the .com unless they get funding and want strong one word .com domain....even then it's no guarantee they will move for the .com.

If they can get a one word .ai over a 2 word .com and they have the money/funds they are more than happy to go down that route, the extension fits nicely.....

Then you have the companies going down the brand route with no mention of ai in the domain or their company name......

Jasper
MoveWorks
Soundful
Atomic
etc etc

People should price their domains accordingly and for the long term......the market is only going to get bigger......

Last edited:
•••
People lacking the courage of their convictions?

If someone has a strong ai + keyword or keyword + ai .com domain and they are under pricing it it just shows they are not confident with their pricing, not confident in the market (which would be crazy as it's going nowhere) or it could be they are looking for a quick flip?

Also not all Tech start ups are bothered to own the .com unless they get funding and want strong one word .com domain....even then it's no guarantee they will move for the .com.

If they can get a one word .ai over a 2 word .com and they have the money/funds they are more than happy to go down that route, the extension fits nicely.....

Then you have the companies going down the brand route with no mention of ai in the domain or their company name......

Jasper
MoveWorks
Soundful
Atomic
etc etc

People should price their domains accordingly and for the long term......the market is only going to get bigger......

You definitely have a point here.

I reckon this is (more or less) about the same pricing for such names as BEFORE ChatGPT occurred.

Well, they should be higher today. Much higher.

I am indeed not selling much, likely because i don't want to self-lowball my names for absolutely no valid reason.

•••
AI summer is coming in winter time... (when everybody is sitting at home).

Meta > Llama2, next are chatbots in fb messenger & whatsapp
OpenAI > Dall-e 3
Microsoft > Copilot

and so on...

Sam Altman posted that AGI is considered to have been achieved, internally.

Last edited:
•••

Jasper
MoveWorks
Soundful
Atomic
etc etc

Valid observation

Indeed the market is going to get far bigger. But domains incorporating the AI abbreviation is going to get far weaker. Companies are going to be wary of including a term that restricts the markets perception as being purely an AI based company. Each of these (mostly new) businesses will have their market expertise and planned direction/products. The names they choose have to be versatile and flexible for their changing marketing needs over-time.

Despite the inclusion of AI, Nothing has really changed in the domain world regarding a good domain, including those chosen for such products and developments. I'm surprised at the number of domain buyers that went for the 'Instantly obvious text lines' But ultimately poor domain choices for the versatility businesses require.

Last edited:
•••
you have the companies going down the brand route with no mention of ai in the domain or their company name......
Hi

good point!

i've seen it happen with all the past trends, "VR/AR/NFT/Web3/Crypto/GPT etc
after domainers grab the cream, they resell to other domainers and maybe a few names move out of circulation to the end-user pool.

and it looks the same for AI.com and keyword.AI.
i say it's best to take some of those "decent offers" now and move on.

anyway... as already seen with the big writers' strike, the populace will be rebelling against AI. and GPT.
as companies/services use them to decrease the workforce.

imo...

•••
the populace will be rebelling against AI. and GPT.
as companies/services use them to decrease the workforce.
I'm just envisaging an AI icon in hiding, peering two sad eyes out from under the bed blanket.

Last edited:
•••
•••

no signs of decreasing

with AI we have a special use case.

I read an article by PWC (pricewaterhouse coopers), claiming that 40% of office (white colar) jobs are about to be enhanced or replaced by AI.

which will lead in a decrease of job positions here.

Last edited:
•••
So far, so bad. What will happen next? I'll give it a year or two, not more than that.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back