NameSilo

What's up with all the lack of aftermarket UPDATES/INNOVATION in our Industry?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I give credit where is due: Undeveloped and Efty.

These are the only two sales platforms that are actually Trying! When I say trying, I mean they actually listen to feedback and bring something to the table that isn't dull and dated.

Everyone else? Sedo, Afternic, GoDaddy? Update something! It's been years.

At the end of the day, for a domain buyer, it's all about Trust. The big names have the Trust but lack everything else.

Afternic hasn't been updated in maybe a decade or more, you can't even view more than 50 domains at a time...Sedo's landing pages look like you stepped back into the year 1995, and aren't even optimized for mobile in the year 2019!

And GoDaddy? of all places, when are you going to actually offer investors real landing/sales pages to sell their domains with? And I don't mean the generic, tiny text link when using their default nameservers, I'm talking...a *real* landing/sales page? take a look at DomainMarket or HugeDomains and take note.

"If a buyer wants your domain and it's worth a lot, then hey, we're more trusted than anyone else to facilitate the sale, everything else? it is what it is."

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Innovation doesn’t seem to translate to traffic. UNDeveloped marketplace remains deader than dead.

You guys who are sticking to UNDeveloped if you’re selling are selling only because of your own domains. Stop using UNDeveloped’s landing pages, instead upload your domains to their marketplace, and your UNDeveloped sales will drop to zero. You could use your own landing pages and you’d get exactly the same results as far visibility / exposure to buyers without paying 9% to UNDeveloped.

Bottom line is that whether innovating or not - Afternic Sedo and DomainAgents have actual potential buyers - lots of them - scouring their marketplaces. UNDeveloped - not so much.
What's your opinion on uniregistry's marketplace? without the use of landers...

•••
Since September 2017, I have listed my domains, all of them, approximately 1500, at UNDeveloped. During this same period of time I have listed all of my same domains at Afternic DomainAgents Sedo Flippa Uniregistry.

Coming up on the two year mark, I have sold a LOT of domains via Afternic DomainAgents Sedo, and received MANY inquiries and MANY offers. I haven't sold much at Flippa and Uniregistry, but I do occasionally receive offers.

At UNDeveloped, the exact same domains have received during this nearly two year period only one joke of a hundred Euro offer, about a year ago, for a domain worth 150 times more than that.

The data, given that I have listed the EXACT same domains, during the EXACT same time period, in all of these different marketplaces, means that Afternic DomainAgents Sedo have the highest amount of buyers searching looking to buy in their marketplaces.

Below these would be Flippa and Uniregistry where I have received some sales and some offers.

At the very bottom is UNDeveloped marketplace, with zero sales and only one offer.

Wow, felt like i was reading a well put together case study. Thank you.
I almost forgot about domain agents... i didn't know they had their own marketplace. I thought they were just brokers.So you can list their without using their landers?

I used to love sedo when i first started, but not anymore. I have the same experience with uniregistry and undeveloped. Do you list names with a buy now price at domainagents or just leave it for make offer?

I'm really looking for marketplaces that have buyers nut don't over expose my names. Afternic is great but they over-expose my names. It can bring sales but i really don't want my names showing everywhere.

I use my own landing pages with my own FormMail.php submission form on them. I receive almost daily inquiries (at a minimum a few weekly) and steady sales via my own landing pages too.

•••
Sometimes frank feedback is the only thing that gets attention and brings change these days, unfortunately. ;)

Only thing I want (for myself, for everyone) is for the big boys in our industry to continue move forward/get better with time, not standing stagnant while collecting commissions off of domains that can sell themselves anywhere they're posted.

And as I mentioned, I will give credit where it's due and I forgot to acknowledge that GoDaddy seems to be doing something lately with the new dashboard/afternic integration. So thank you @ GoDaddy for that. And Thanks @ Sedo for trying to get more activity going with taking away the $60 minimum, even for a short period of time.

The Brandable-niche marketplaces have proven through the years that presentation counts (a lot) when not selling super premium domains, and when landers/dashboards haven't been updated in years yet commissions/sales keep rolling in from the premium stuff, the stuff that's selling itself and could've been sold anywhere, yet neglecting to evolve and put in better efforts to showcase and display the OK/brandable names in a better light, it can be upsetting. :)
Where can i view this godaddy/afternic integration.....?

•••
@TCK No, I haven't. I'll have to check it out. Thanks

•••
This might be an unpopular opinion, but there’s something about Afternic’s design that seems trustworthy to me. Perhaps it’s the green color, but what I attribute it most to is the “dated” feel of the design, ironically enough.

I actually just recently deleted my portfolio at Afternic because I don’t really care for their service. I’ve had my account for only a short period of time but even in that short period, I’ve been unimpresssed. So I’m going to use my own landers and Epik, where I’ve been more impressed by the service.

But again, to Afternic’s credit, something about the layout says “we’re established” and therefore “we’re trustworthy”.

You need afternic because listings there appear in GD, and other registrar searches. Get your afternic back

•••
The best marketplace is Uni but I have sold zero names with them lol.

•••
In our search, we removed the link to the offer details page and show a layer with the domain specifics instead. This is good for sellers, because the buyers won't be moving away from the search page like they did when clicking through to the the domain details page. That means users a more likely to see more of your domains that they could be interested in. In the end, your domains get longer and more exposure.

Everyone I know hates that feature, someone here actually started a thread about it, and you have to use the work around to bring the offer page up on every name you want to look at to see where the seller is from etc.. It's how we have reported names stolen, because the seller info didn't add up from where the name was previously.

Last edited:
•••
Sedo actually has pretty good for-sale page, which can be reached at URL like

https://sedo.com/search/details/?domain=mydomain.com

When I try domains I am interested in, I often see other other sellers using URL forwarding to such page.

If someone lands on that sales page and decides to enter a keyword in the big search field above, do they see domain results from the same seller or do they see domains from other sellers that might be of similar or better quality?

Last edited:
•••
@Sedo I have some domains parked with you with ads clicked by visitors, how do I find out what keywords are clicked? Been looking high and low but I still couldn't find it. Not sure if I overlooked it, or is there no way to find out?

•••
It's a shame @Sedo dns goes to a confusing parking page, instead of a formal lander.
Because sedo's platform is quite formal and professional.
What a waste.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back