Dynadot

What's in a (Business) Name?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
Naming a business can seem like a daunting task, and it may not be something you want to spend a lot of time doing. But make no mistake -your business name can often be just as important as the quality of the products you make and the price at which you sell them.

Here are some things to consider when naming your business:

1) Keyword: With this method, you use industry keywords to make it very clear what your business does.

2) Unique: This category contains real words or names that aren't industry keywords.

3) Invented:
An offshoot of the unique category, this method relies on creating an entirely new word or phrase for your business. A popular example here is Twitter: now, it's a household name, but before its existence, the word "Twitter" meant very little.

Invented names are a trade-off. On one hand, they don't immediately say anything about your brand, which means that you'll have to undergo a familiarization process in which people start associating the name with the brand. If you can manage this, though, invented names are super memorable and, at their best, can even become household names

Huffington Post

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The term UNIQUE is often misused in websites, as each and every domain name... is 'UNIQUE', therefore cannot be categorised to define a certain 'brandable' etc due it's attributes being better than others. uwerwerwre.com is just as unique as internet.com

To term a domain name as 'unique' is correct no matter it's 'state'.

However, advertising domain names, par se as 'unique' to define a superiority or difference is incorrect and misleading.

•••
I fully agree with the article.

On one hand there are the generics and keywords. They will always be good for obvious reasons. Most of these we cannot reg in .com, so you'd just have to buy in after-market for an investment. O e could do very well here, flipping and what not, but it's not for everyone. Some people like myself, just love to be creative and think ahead, make something that is completely our own, then pitch it.

Then unique/invented, to build a memorable brand that cannot be counterfeited. Most of us domainers won't profit too much on brandablity. There are obvious problems with brandables, end-users will likely want to use their own idea. The chances are low that you will own whatever obscurity they dream up. It's like betting 17 spots on a roulette table...There are ways to win at that game though, you just have to think outside of the box, be SUPER unique.

•••
Good example for "invented names".

•••
I really believe in the way you market the name will determine whether or not you have success at selling that name, especially when it comes to unique or brandable names. Many domainers might be a bit reluctant to registering these, but with the right presentation I think they can be huge sellers.

This is why being creative is completely worth it as you'll be surprised to find many great names still available even one-word .coms. They might not be actual words but like it has been mentioned above, invented words that can catch on with the right marketing. I recently registered a one-word 6L .com doing just this and it really didn't take so long....then again I do like searching for names so time probably just flew by for me ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back