NameSilo

Whats better? .net or .org

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It really depends on the domain itself Justin. I personally prefer .net over .org in most situations, but in examples such as homecaring, I would choose .org over .net.

Good luck!

•••
This question has been asked several times here at NamePros.

I'll answer it this way: I don't know which is better, but I have had more success with .org's than .net's.

ST

•••
•••
•••
If possible, get both of them.

•••
Short answer: .net
Long answer: Probably .net.

•••
i would think that if it was a good domain i would go for a .us or another ext. for the fact that if you had the .net the .com would proabably get the most traffice that you are expecting to the site
JMO

•••
Not really bothered about either, to be honest.

I think I prefer .ORG, but then again .NET seems more popular...

Undecided answer from me... :(

•••
•••
.net is better.

but org are quikcer to resolve.

•••
Originally posted by killaklown
??

What's the domain name in from of the .SUFFIX?!? :cy:
Generally, I prefer .ORG's over .NET's in almost all cases (not the least of which is domain name resales), IMHO.
B-)

•••
I would have to say that .net would be better depending on what the domain name is, if it sounds good then go for it. :)

•••
As everyone says, it really depends on the name and purpose of the site.

.net is often seen as "you couldn't get the .com so you got the .net"

.org can be a very powerful extension when referenced to community activities. Has loads more crediblity than the blood sucking image of .com in this context.

•••
If it is a strong commercial term(and you can't get the .com), .net would be better than .org. Otherwise, I would go for .org.

•••
.org is king......over .net IMO!

have sold more .org domains than .com!
although 3 letter .net's are popular right now.

would never consider regging a .net if the .com was taken,prefer
the .org in all instances.

.org is not just for "non profit" anymore!

•••
My interpretation of the results so far:

.net = 6
.org = 5

Some are sitting on the fence, so it is hard to determine how they feel about the two.

ST

•••
I prefer .org over .net by a mile. This is a business and .org has produced so many more sales for me than .net that there isn't even a comparison. Just sold another one for $2,000 last week. In fact .info does far better for me than .net! I rarely register them anymore as I only see them continuing to slide now that there are other alternatives to .com that don't carry the negative baggage .net has (massive traffic loss to the .com and branding as an extension meant for network service providers). .Net is the web's 98-pound weakling. The only ones that appeal to me these days are 3-letter .nets and prime one-worders.

•••
depends on what the domain name is about, If it's a organization, or club, go for .org, if not, .net

overall, i would choose .net

•••
.edu I beleive he was asking about only .net and .orgs, not .coms. .net's are better than .orgs IMO.

•••
Originally posted by sergio965
depends on what the domain name is about, If it's a organization, or club, go for .org, if not, .net
overall, i would choose .net

.Org has a MUCH broader base than organizations and clubs. That's like saying only ISP's should use .net. Neither has been limited to those areas in the past and it's unlikely they will be in the future either. Rick Schwartz (the Domain King) has earned about $20 million over the last 8 years so most people would concede that he knows a little bit about this business. In a recent interview with Domain Name Journal he had this to say about .net (and .org):

“.Org is the #2 extension because of its widespread use with charities and heavy TV and print advertising. .net is the orphan. It has no identity and loses massive amounts of traffic automatically to the .com counterpart. Not basing your business on a .net extension is the #1 piece of advice I would give anyone that asked. I would choose .whatever over ANY .net unless you own the .com version. If you promote .net, and don’t own the .com, you are likely working hard for someone else and wasting 15%-25% or more of your hard work and marketing efforts. It is the single biggest mistake one can make on the Internet" - Rick Schwartz

Last edited:
•••
totally agree "Duke"!

only two kinds of businesses in this world.......
those for "profit" (.com) and those for "non profit" (.org)

•••
What people forget is that non-profits often have huge budgets. Non-profit does not mean no money. Also there are many for profit businesses that love .org because it gives them a very positive humanitarian image. The multi-billion dollar medical field is one of many examples.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back