IT.COM

What would you do if you had a list of best 50.000 unregistered domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

twiki

Top Member
Impact
Hypothetical question:

What would you do if you had a list of best ~50.000 unregistered domains?

But not enough cash today to register them. (that'd be like half mil)

Names that WILL sell in large % the next 5 years on 4-5 digit figures, based on growing scarcity, industry analysis, price history analysis and everything together analyzed and ranked by a computer big brain.

Sort of like an AI system of largest domain platforms would generate, if you want.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I'd eliminate all the non-com domains first. I'd probably run them thru Estibot and see what comes up (rough guide only). I'd probably stick to 10 chars and below (not hard and fast). Out go most the misspellings and hard to pronounce names. All to counter my own predudices and to try to whittle the list down to something more manageable with a budget of $1000 :(

Last edited:
•••
I'd eliminate all the non-com domains first. I'd probably run them thru Estibot and see what comes up (rough guide only). I'd probably stick to 10 chars and below (not hard and fast). All to try to whittle the list down to something more manageable with a budget of $1000 :(

Forgot to add: only .coms in the list.

•••
Wait for next Domain.com or netfirms.com 99 cent special and reg all lol

No, you can't do that. This sort of promotions are for first couple domains or so. Won't work for 50k.

Side note, I've learned that registrars pay like $8 for each domain reg to Verisign.

•••
I'd probably run them thru Estibot and see what comes up (rough guide only). I'd probably stick to 10 chars and below (not hard and fast). Out go most the misspellings and hard to pronounce names. All to counter my own predudices an to try to whittle the list down to something more manageable with a budget of $1000 :(

Your point is valid, but Estibot is a bad idea :xf.grin: It would ruin the list. Furthermore, there are no mispellings and hard to pronounce names - let's say we have a list of 2-word coms like BitcoinExchange.com or the sorts.

With $1000, maybe it is worth to spend $900 on domains and $100 to get drunk cause you can't have the rest :xf.wink:

•••
Forgot to add: only .coms in the list.

That was my first thing to do on the list. What promotions? I never said anything about promos. Note: I edited my post whilst you were quoting it :)

•••
Your point is valid, but Estibot is a bad idea :xf.grin: It would ruin the list. Furthermore, there are no mispellings and hard to pronounce names - let's say we have a list of 2-word coms like BitcoinExchange.com or the sorts.

With $1000, maybe it is worth to spend $900 on domains and $100 to get drunk cause you can't have the rest :xf.wink:

You were asking what I would do? Maybe seek a partnership/coalition.

•••
id get a team of investors to go in with me to reg them all, then I would take a fifth of the sales. whoohoo!

•••
I would further check them, and it is likely enough that 99% or more would be excluded as the result (not worth regfee). As per my internal criterias. It does not mean that such a list is not good by itself, to the contrary, it may be good for the purposes of its author. Remaining 1% - or likely less - normal registration @ $8.xx ... :)

I've seen a lot of such lists already, including by not limited to lists generated by various tools and various authors. Also, my "inhouse" tools. Always: a lot of manual work is required to generate a workable list for handreg from 50K-100K candidates lists

P.S. If we are speaking about the real list. Yes, filtering is needed. It is manual. Extra time is required. IF, after the process is finished it would happen that some domains are already registered (fresh handregs) - then it would mean that the resulting list (<1%) is actually good.
If, however, all the domains from "final list" are still available for handreg after some time - it would mean that the list is not that good

Last edited:
•••
I would further check them, and it is likely enough that 99% or more would be excluded as the result (not worth regfee). As per my internal criterias.

The 50k list is your 1%. As in, analyzed 5 million potentials, filtered 99%, remained 1% = pure cream.

•••
I would offer the list for sale at $10 a pop luring people in by promising a million $ return on their investment. Then I would use all proceeds to secure the best from the list myself.

•••
If, however, all the domains from "final list" are still available for handreg after some time - it would mean that the list is not that good

Not necessarily. This would mean that all good combinations are already found and regged. If so, I would have gone out of business already, cause I do regs.

But yes it involves the needles in the haystack, the sort of search only a powerful system would do.

•••
I would offer the list for sale at $10 a pop luring people in by promising a million $ return on their investment. Then I would use all proceeds to secure the best from the list myself.

Hahahha good one :ROFL:

•••
id get a team of investors to go in with me to reg them all, then I would take a fifth of the sales. whoohoo!

Well... have you ever tried investors?

Better stick a stick somewhere... won't specify where. :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
You were asking what I would do? Maybe seek a partnership/coalition.

Probably the right approach. I can only see two avenues, one would be some sort of partnership or coalition, the other would be bootstrapping from sales with the risk of losing most of the names meantime.

•••
The 50k list is your 1%. As in, analyzed 5 million potentials, filtered 99%, remained 1% = pure cream.
@twiki I assume that you are speaking about an existing list then. How old is the list? I mean lets say it was generated and all domains confirmed to be available a week ago. How many domains (%%%) were handregged within the last week, by various parties around the globe?

•••
@twiki I assume that you are speaking about an existing list then. How old is the list? I mean lets say it was generated and all domains confirmed to be available a week ago. How many domains (%%%) were handregged within the last week, by various parties around the globe?

I said hypothetical :xf.smile:

•••

Oh, and an observation. Such a list would not be fixed, but dynamically generated and updated continuously by that system.

•••
If they have never been registered they’d probably mostly be garbage. That 50,000 good names escaped the attention of the Earth’s population defies the odds.

Indeed a very hypothetical question posed. Right up there with the questions you see posed on Quora daily.

Last edited:
•••
If they have never been registered they’d probably mostly be garbage. That 50,000 good names escaped the attention of the Earth’s population defies the odds.

Indeed a very hypothetical question posed.

Not necessarily never registered. Maybe registered and dropped in those ol' years when domains were still plentiful, then by accident missed to be brought again in the spotlight.

For whoever does hand regs BTW, it's either inspiration based or digging based. You can spot things by digging but they are like 10.000:1 meaning the other 9999 are taken and 1 has been missed. Not the garbage... which is anyway 1000 times greater than the useful ones.

Edit: To be more precise, I agree with the general consensus and your view that the good ones are all taken. But there's a very tiny almost, it's not 100% vacuum but almost vacuum. There is a 1 in a million chance that something has not been spotted yet. The whole thing would rely in that 1 in a million chance and doing billions of checks while using a lot of data to determine what would be useful.

Last edited:
•••
Let it be hypothetical. So, the best thing I can think of: 1) Generate 1000 "best" domains to begin with 2) Confirm that they are available 3) relax and wait 1-2 weeks. If no domains happened to be handregged by others within 1-2 weeks - then something is wrong with the list. It may not be that good. If, however, at least 30-50 domains were handregged after 1-2 weeks - then it is a good result, indirectly confirming that the algorithm is OK.

•••
Let it be hypothetical. So, the best thing I can think of: 1) Generate 1000 "best" domains to begin with 2) Confirm that they are available 3) relax and wait 1-2 weeks. If no domains happened to be handregged by others within 1-2 weeks - then something is wrong with the list. It may not be that good. If, however, at least 30-50 domains were handregged after 1-2 weeks - then it is a good result, indirectly confirming that the algorithm is OK.

This would be a perfect test indeed :xf.smile: You would lose a few great names, but there's others.

Nice thinking.

•••
This does sound a like a question from a person new to the industry. I think you have a large list of names (not 50,000 but a big list) you think are decent and available and cant afford them all so you are trying to reduce the list, hence your post because you arent quite sure which ones to leave out.

You will never find more than a few random names worth hand registering so this wont happen.

My advice is to change your strategy now rather than after you have wasted money on a whole bunch of worthless names.

Focus on emailimg existing ownere or checkimg drop/expired lists for 2 or 3 good names and buy them, rather spend $200 or $500 on 1 or 2 decent names than hand reg 50 crap names. This game is all about quality over quantity.

I could be way off base here and I apologise if I am, but Ive seen this type of question before and often leads to a lot of name regging and a lot of renewal cost 12 months from now

Good luck

•••
Some points that should help

Researching the value of names before buying anything.
Buy 1 or 2 names and then try and sell them, dont register a lot of names before you sell some, you have to renew them every year remember
Have some potential buyers before buying a name.
Stick to strong extensions like .COM
Focus on a niche you are familiar with
Check out namebio.com to see what type of names sell.
Don't overprice your names
Don't use Estibot and other automated appraisal tools, they dont mean anything.
Stay away from numbers and dont mix numbers & letters in domains
Stay away from company names (trademarks) ie: FordCars.com, AppleDeals.com, AndroidPhones.com etc
Stay away from hyphens
Shorter is often better with domains

Hope that helps

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back