IT.COM

What time do domains expire?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

jeter4982

Senior MemberEstablished Member
Impact
Hey!

What time do domains expire? Like if it says expiring on December 5, 2004, is it released at midnight, or later because it takes time to be changed in the database?

Thanks,

Tom

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It varies by extension, and (oddly) sometimes by registrar. Your best bet to determine the times would be to create a list of high-demand names dropping in one day, then when they drop check whois to see what time they were regiastered. You'll see the regs for each extension clustering around the same approximate time of day.

•••
ok thanks armstrong. off hand, does anyone know the time for .com , .net , or .org

•••
Well, if you're talking time-wise, its the same as they were registered.
Say I registered a domain for a year, starting on January 1, 2004 at 9:30 in the evening; it would expire January 1, 2005 at the same time it was registered; 9:30 PM.

Meh, I hope thats what you were asking, if not, we can try and help you out more

•••
yep, thats what i was asking! thanks!!!

•••
domainsite.com does it by the time you regged it. Most others do it midnight or midnight the next day.

•••
Midnight as in which time zone? EST or GMT?

•••
MissFlora said:
Midnight as in which time zone? EST or GMT?

as most of the them are us based.... i think EST

•••
There's an old story about philosophers arguing endlessly about how many teeth a horse has. The discussion ended only when someone (Socrates or Plato, I think) suggested that they look in a horse's mouth and start counting teeth. In a similar vein ...

I always forget what time domains drop, exactly, and from my experience the times change once in a while. So the best way really would be to check out recent drops to see what time the best domains were registered. If you're waiting for a certain special domain, it would pay to do this research in advance.

•••
BUT....when are they avail. to buy? I have been tracking a few that expired early Nov. (.com) and right now it is in redemption period. How long is this period?

RickyG

•••
•••
Midnight where they are based at...

•••
ok, seems like there is a mix of opinions, but i missed the domain i wanted anyways. it was supposed to be released today. i checked several times today, at 8 AM, 9 AM, and 12 PM. I checked again at around 2 PM, and someone else had regged it, so I guess it was released between 12 and 2

•••
ouch, thats lame, may i ask what name it was?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back