Dynadot

What registrars can still back out of GD Expired Auctions?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Firstly, I am not attacking Godaddy in a couple of posts I had made recently. I want to state that first. I am a long time loyal user. I have several reasons for that, but this post is not about my loyalty. And my recent posts are not about any beef I have with them - just issues that I have come across.

I just wanted to note a domain I purchased at Godaddy Expired Auctions back at the end of October was not able to be delivered and they refunded the purchase. I thought most pathways were closed for people to abuse the auction system a good while back?

This domain is/was registered at Sav.com.

Nothing special about it at all. Not a high value name. I just liked it.

Oddly, when you visit the domain's landing page it says the domain is expired and click here if you are the owner to renew.

So seems Sav.com customers can still sample their domain's value via GD expired auctions?? (or maybe Sav.com themselves - confused on why they have an expired page on it now, but the expiration date was updated)

Out of curiosity what other registrars do you guys know of that the former owners can still use GD expired auctions to test their domain's value/interest? I would like to have this knowledge so I can research before wasting my time/money (temporarily) in the future.

Thanks,
Michael

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Firstly, I am not attacking Godaddy in a couple of posts I had made recently. I want to state that first. I am a long time loyal user. I have several reasons for that, but this post is not about my loyalty. And my recent posts are not about any beef I have with them - just issues that I have come across.

I just wanted to note a domain I purchased at Godaddy Expired Auctions back at the end of October was not able to be delivered and they refunded the purchase. I thought most pathways were closed for people to abuse the auction system a good while back?

This domain is/was registered at Sav.com.

Nothing special about it at all. Not a high value name. I just liked it.

Oddly, when you visit the domain's landing page it says the domain is expired and click here if you are the owner to renew.

So seems Sav.com customers can still sample their domain's value via GD expired auctions?? (or maybe Sav.com themselves - confused on why they have an expired page on it now, but the expiration date was updated)

Out of curiosity what other registrars do you guys know of that the former owners can still use GD expired auctions to test their domain's value/interest? I would like to have this knowledge so I can research before wasting my time/money (temporarily) in the future.

Thanks,
Michael

Michael I believe most registrars outside of GoDaddy still have the option. I guess they are not willing to go along with the same rules and GoDaddy cannot force them. GoDaddy wants the expiry stream and it seems like the Lion is taking orders from the sheep.

@Joe Styler can speak more to this but I believe we once discussed it and he said they cannot be forced to make their customers abide my GoDaddy rules.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back