Dynadot

discuss What REALLY Annoys You Most About The Domain Industry?

NameSilo
Watch

DanBingham

Top Member
Impact
As the above question asks, what REALLY annoys you most about the domain industry?

Perhaps it's the unjustified renewal/transfer fees, registrar locks, poor sales platforms and their high commission fees, a lack of more localised events or something else?

Interested to know your thoughts...

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The insane number of phone calls and emails that you get after registering a domain.
Very fitting that this was the first response :)

•••
The insane number of phone calls and emails that you get after registering a domain.

Well, a bright side of GDPR, no more emails and phone calls for me.

•••
People asking for a 'great dictionary one word name' and generously offering 100~150$ 'if the name is good'.

•••
-Appraisals, especially ones based on personal preference or jealousy .
-Newbies spending their savings on garbage.
-Fake sales.
-Liars.
-Show-offs.
-Trolls.
-Oldies who think the domain industry belongs to them.
-Back-patting bad & expensive acquisitions.

:xf.smile:

•••
•••
Nothing. Nothing is perfect in this world, why domaining be an exception? I accept it as it is.

•••
Dropcatch

After spending hrs trawling drops

U see a nice name.

Boom
Wtf ??

Partner :banghead:

Who the fuck is that?:xf.eek:
Does she/he/it spend hours trawling drops? (n)

Or

....Goes to Auction

Why not for us that backordered
Why .:shifty:

•••
In overall domain world..

• The number of new extensions...even when they are not being used by fraction of total users.
• If they launched new extension...putting it at high price and even higher renewal costs...
• Although we are having some great ngTLDs... to use for different purposes...sad to see all wanting .com only!!
• The resellers and brokers attitude of pointing endusers to buy only .com names...and brokers wanting to handle .com (single... dictionary...aged...) words only.
• Restrictions in registering some other ccTLDs
• Registrars not providing whois privacy for some extensions...(eg for .us) apparently due to technical reasons.

Here...

• People who wait to answer any question just to be sarcastic and not even bother to touch the point of the question.
• Shill bidding (Learned about it here only)
• People who post 2/3 lines of text in domain requests.. without mentioning budget..even though they know they will be reminded by staff members afterwards...
• People who post long list of domains to sell along with expiry dates in different formats...(without mentioning what format they are posting)
dd/mm/yy...mm/dd/yy.. I think I saw some new mixed up methods too... It clearly indicates that their purpose is to confuse/trick the members instead of giving information.
• a note to @NamePros ...
Please make it as mandatory to follow one date format/clearly mention what format they are using...or ask them to use letters like Aug/Sep... especially when they are posting list of domains!!

In india we follow dd/mm/yy format...in US and other countries (assuming) mm/dd/yy format is used...

Thanks.

Last edited:
•••
Not that much really :-D - for the most part I've been impressed with most companies and individuals in the industry.

But if looking for something would say
  • Lack of easy response form on marketplaces for reporting domains for sale that are no longer (or ever) owned by purported seller.
  • High minimum commission rates at many (not all) resale venues.
  • Renewal rates much higher than first year costs.
  • Confusing extensions (like both plural and singular terms).

•••
Nothing bothers me ... except that there is really nothing like "Domain Industry", and there should be one :)

•••
•••
So many great domains to buy. Not enough money to buy them.

•••
The unrealistic way it is portrayed in Lifetime movies.

•••
When someone sends me an offer of $ 50 for a 4 letter dot com name.
When the stubborn buyers refuses to reply to our offers, even though it was sent to them from the Buying Request thread.
When someone refuses to honor their buying or selling commitments.

•••
People with unlimited amounts of braggadocio with seemingly nothing concrete to back it up

Request threads that want the best or even good for nothing (Cheapest buyers come here)

People who post for pats on the back repeatedly or to spam their names

•••
Unrealistic pricing and valuation of domains.

When you look at the popular marketplaces you see names priced at 10k and a week later they're auctioned off over here for $1.

•••
Seeing $1 starting domain auctions on NP for domains with the same keywords as my domains.

And the auctions look like pulling teeth just to get bids.

I see the domain owner keep saying

Up
Up
Up
Up

And for what? Just to get another dollar? And even then no bids?

On a domain that's been regged for 2 years? Unless the domain was regged for $1 and renewed for another dollar?

Why even bother?

Very very depressing

•••
People asking for a 'great dictionary one word name' and generously offering 100~150$ 'if the name is good'.
This ;)

Buyers do not understand that the price includes sellers efforts and years/months of unbilled time. They only look at the ~$9 x Years renewal and think, gosh... sellers are greedy! O_o

I also get bugged that not many end users find their way to NamePros... where they would obviously get better names and deals than anywhere else! :xf.cool:

Last edited:
•••
Domain hijacking pisses me off more than anything.

•••
Posting adult domain names outside of the adult section which is designed for such domains.

•••
Finding potential buyers who would greatly benefit from that domain even if they pay 10K for it, but after very convincing arguments, although their web site says, thank you we will get back to you, they don't get back and not even become curious what the price might be, or what the landing page looks like.

For example a Czech company uses .us domain and their web site looks very professional, and their keyword is good, and they have good traffic according to Alexa, and probably they are doing well, and they are serving the whole world. But they are not interested in buying .com even if cheap. They can pay 50K after 10 years, because in a conference they learn that .com is good for marketing; but until then they have zero interest, and actually negative interest, because even if the domain is free, they won't take it.

•••
The scammers in the industry that give it a bad name.

•••
Spammers selling domains in pending delete status.

•••
People not bidding on my names annoys me :panda:

•••
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back