Dynadot

advice What Programming Language is useful for a domainer?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

What programming language is useful for a domainer?

Sammy Jakes

Established Member
Impact
I have some free time now and I would like to learn coding.
I would like to know what programming language is useful for a domainer and what specific domaining problem can I solve with it?
Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Exactly what do they fail except for the W3 test. They appear perfect to the user in all browsers.
It is not worth the effort to spend the time required to pass the W3 test. I would have to go
through more than one thousand web pages. I wouldn't take the time to repair one page to
pass the W3 test. I have better things to do.

This shows you have a very basic knowledge of Web design. If you knew what you were doing you would be able to edit the sites, even with 1000s of pages, with only a few edits. But that is beyond the scope of this thread. In your case, you would need to edit those 1000s of pages individually because you did it the wrong way from the start.

Last edited:
•••
Exactly what do they fail except for the W3 test. They appear perfect to the user in all browsers.
It is not worth the effort to spend the time required to pass the W3 test. I would have to go
through more than one thousand web pages. I wouldn't take the time to repair one page to
pass the W3 test. I have better things to do.
If you actually were using php correctly you won't have to go through all the pages to make the corrections manually.

That's because using php correctly will allow you to automate the creation of all your pages. You would make any corrections needed to fix the errors ONCE and then let php generate all the corrected pages for you.

Last edited:
•••
You obviously are incapable of honesty. You say that if you use PHP you will also need to use Javascript.
That is not true. I have used PHP without using Javascript. The filmz.us website uses PHP and does not use Javascript. I have used Javascript and PHP together on a website that allows users to upload mp4 videos to their own webpages. You say that you cannot use just one language to build a website. That is clearly ridiculous. I am an electrical engineer and have never worked as a web designer. I learn how to do things as I need them. But, I still know stupidity when I hear it.
I think the problem here is a misunderstanding of the terms being used.

"Dynamic websites" DO need JavaScript or they aren't Dynamic - Period.

Uploading files is a very basic function and in no way demonstrates you know how to use php or JavaScript.

I've been a programmer for over 30 years and NOTHING that TCK has written is untrue and in fact I agree almost 100% with what he has written. There are a few minor details I'd tweak a bit.

Last edited:
•••
.. and what specific domaining problem can I solve with it?
Thanks

Mod team is correct, a spread sheet is very valuable. If you go deeper and want to download and process registry files, PHP, Ruby Perl are great choices.

If you want to build something like dotdb.com or instantdomainsearch.com, you'll need a real programming language.

•••
I'm a PHP guy. I've already wrote many tools with vanilla PHP, HTML and JS to help me to find proper domain names.

But If I had a chance to start from the beginning, I would go for Python.
Since domaining is all about playing with words, Python has just sufficient libraries to play with datasets and word lists.

But any of those options would work if you can learn how to use them.

Python is a great choice too. Great for scraping websites.

Last edited:
•••
You've never heard of perl or ruby? let's lighten up, dna isn't building website for customers.

True. And he did state he is not a web designer. The point is that he is painting an unrealistic picture that can cost someone a lot of lost time and frustration.

•••
At one time I would have tried to create an entire website using a series of HTML documents, but I wouldn't dream of it today because it's against the grain of what is easy, both in getting started making a website and as @TCK and others probably eluded to... maintainability. I can create a website more easily by accepting that websites go beyond just HTML documents now.

Back 10 years ago or longer we used to refer to a website as being "dynamic" when the server returned something different depending on who was loading it and/or when. Of course nowadays that's old hat and not very dynamic because we can provide dynamism in tandem with the server after the page has loaded using client side languages. We no longer rely purely on what is returned from the initial page load because it gives a much richer experience to make additional requests to the server after the page load.

If you throw yourself into a framework or two you may find it easier, because it gives you a lot and shields you from a lot.

For example you don't even need to know what HTML is or why you need a body tag to create a website as a nextjs app, you don't even need to know CSS or how to include it into a page either if you use a template that includes material UI out of the box with all of the fancy styled components (buttons, textboxes, cards etc). Modern framework tutorials get you doing stuff first instead of the barrage of concepts and things you need to know just to create a valid HTML page.

As a dev I might be coming at this from a completely unhelpful perspective, but if it gives someone some inspiration to get going with it then I suppose it may be helpful.

Last edited:
•••
@karamakate, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. You are conflating and misrepresenting arguments. On top of that you have a very condescending attitude. I have no patience for that. I will not engage you again.

•••
I think it's about time we all take a moment, relax and reread or for those who haven't yet read How to Win Friends and Influence People.

Why is it that there is so much hostility going on? It's truly sad when life is so short and we are faced with so many difficulties.

Please let's just try to be nice to each other.

We all make mistakes sometimes and it sure would be great if we could give each other a bit more grace.

•••
I started out with html, CSS and php. Eventually added java script for different functions. And still, these are what I use, sufficient for my development needs.

Guess it all depends on what one needs to accomplish. This is in context to using the domain names on the www. Organization and management, other stuff can come into play which is not necessarily related to development. Not sure what the OP was looking for.

A great go-to is StackOverflow and its related sites, almost any question regarding coding has been answered with working examples provided.

•••
HTML is the base, you will need it most of the times according to the context, but it is only good for static things..... for dynamic things, you have to learn either PHP, Python or Java or may be some others....

The thing is you need to have a good concept/idea that can be converted into business with the help of these programming languages...

If you do not have much time and you want to concentrate on just one, please learn Python, it is easy, versatile and flexible.

Python works on both Windows and Linux so if you do not have Linux access, you can easily do it with your Windows computer.

•••
What about coding for domain resellers? Which one is better?

It depends what you want to do. If you want to make a nice lander you learn front end - HTML, CSS, JS.

If you need to make API calls to services, that can literally be done with any language, JS(nodeJS or just JS), C#, PHP, python etc, as they use the same protocol to make the actual calls. All of the above can also be used as backends for a potential website to combine with the front-end.

Realistically though, just use existing services and learn what your current hosting can provide and work with.

•••
I suggest you to learn Javascript and Python

HTML, CSS, Javascript are Mandatory
Javascript Path : Native & OOP, then Node.js, React.js, Express.js
Python Path : Native & OOP, then Django or Flask

But I prefer PHP for years

You can create API for Domain Backorder or Get Domain Name Sales from NameBio,
Generate Domain Name by Suffix or Preffix
Etc.

Are you sure Javascript is mandatory? because you later say you prefer PHP

•••
I have 20 TLDs/ccTLDs zone file, using c/c++ for processing and my portfolio.

•••
no_url_shorteners/randomjavascript

•••
Since 1993 I'm just a front-end guy
HTML/JavaScript

No obsolete is what I call URL programming which is whatever you want to type in that URL bar (my cloud data online, not apps nor smart contract dapps is open sourced accessible like api or widgets to all 7 billion people no proprietary like apple turned out to become (my websites nothing to download/login/username/password/register cause front-end basic protocols the internet was built on I remembered in 1994 before any browser except mosaic gov) cliff notes for the astute domainers to point to

The webchat, dreamt something exists there, irc was 1994 --> today wwwindiatimes.com
Raising as we are creating the first computer race from these timelines here.. 2 computer systems become one and what you could write in the URL bar is 2way interaction that lasts..

Last edited:
•••
•••
Well no longer just a domainer if you can do more.

•••
"Everybody has a windows phone" 1-7324700448

Last edited:
•••
Can anyone tell me the best programming language for making small websites or blogs.
And why?
Thank you
Wordpress.org

Just install the theme & *poof* it’s free :xf.wink:
(Pay for hosting, but there some free sure)
Plus hosting is cheap imo; esp u needs start

*Note Wordpress.COM & .ORG are 2 DIFF 1’s.
Go with .ORG, over the .com, this ONE TIME,

Last edited:
•••
Front-end is html/javascript
I use blogger.com, its free, but more importantly instead of changing paid hosts all the time, the information has lasted there (No Geocities)

then as a domainer, can point to your own URL pages..

Problem is “blogger.com” is Google owned.

I try avoid Google, but i admit, what u say true.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Can anyone tell me the best programming language for making small websites or blogs.
And why?
Thank you

WordPress & Joomla

Cheers
Corey

•••
•••
I have made dozens of web sites using nothing but HTML.

An examples is :

https://www.fiction.us

You can't learn everything at once so start simply.
HTML is the first thing you should master.
Not that I feel that I have mastered it.
I first decide what I want to do.
Then I figure out how to do it.
I do nothing more.
I am not trying to learn web design.
I am designing web sites.

As you make changes to your HTML web sites, you will
run into a problem, and that problem is the cache.
You will make changes to your HTML web pages, ftp those
changes to your host server, and then visit your web site
with your home computer, and you won't see the changes
that you just made. That is because your home computer
will display the web page that is saved in your cache
rather then the web page that is currently in your host server.
You can get around that for a while by pushing Control F5.
But, eventually, even Control F5 won't defeat your cache.
And of course the people who visit
your web site regularly will have the same cache problem
and you can't tell them to type Control F5.

At this point you will want to design your web pages using PHP.
Your home computer does not store PHP code in the cache and
you can find anything you want to know about PHP online.
When I can, I design in HTML first, and then write code in PHP
which creates that same HTML web page. This is what I am doing
with...

https://www.filmz.us

You are getting a lot of horrible advice here.
Horrible advice is what you should expect in Namepros.
Get used to it.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back