Dynadot

discuss What portion of your sales do you reinvest?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

What portion of your sales do you reinvest in domain names?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • <20%

votes
    24.4%
  • 20 - 50%

votes
    30.2%
  • 50 - 80%

votes
    19.8%
  • 80 - 99%

votes
    12.8%
  • 100%

votes
    12.8%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
What portion of the revenues that you generate from domain names do you reinvest to scale/renew your portfolio?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
I currently reinvest more than 70% of sales, the rest are for business expenses since I try to scale up and diversify.

•••
Buying is more difficult than selling as buyer has less control over the whole trade process from the very beginning till the end. If it was equally difficult I would ideally reinvest 80%. Currently I can invest around %30 to domains and 50% to other things.

•••
I currently reinvest more than 70% of sales, the rest are for business expenses since I try to scale up and diversify.
Woah, that's huge!

Buying is more difficult than selling as buyer has less control over the whole trade process from the very beginning till the end. If it was equally difficult I would ideally reinvest 80%. Currently I can invest around %30 to domains and 50% to other things.
What are those 50% things?

•••
What portion of the revenues that you generate from domain names do you reinvest to scale/renew your portfolio?

If you reinvest a % based on your revenue you haven't been paying much attention in business class.

•••
I, as by rule, reinvest 20-30%

•••
•••
Very interesting and relevant question for me currently. I've been looking over that very thing over the last few days.
I'm taking in about the same as I buy monthly to answer the main question, well I guess the main question's answer is 100%.
I have about 2 months of almost no drops and not sure what path to take. Most days i can find a drop or two I think has merit, I dont often sell that many but the different in prices not needed.

I like a lot of my names drop, more than i should likely. I only renew about 15%, and strangely I keep some that are worth far less by most measures, mostly because I like and have plans for them.
If this is a zero sum game, then thats all it is is a game. Someone I used to respect told me how important it was/is to put back some of your profits.

more later perhaps

•••
•••
Decreasing year by year, higher quality domain names are difficult to obtain, more and more new tails and encrypted tails appear, competing for user resources and compressing profits.
IMO

•••
Decreasing year by year, higher quality domain names are difficult to obtain, more and more new tails and encrypted tails appear, competing for user resources and compressing profits.
IMO
I am in the same boat.

Years ago, 100%. In recent years, much less.

I just find a lack of appealing opportunities at current resale prices. When you already own thousands of domains, paying 5x-10x what you paid re-seller 5+ years ago is just not that appealing.

Investment wise I tend to move a lot of my domain sales income into more liquid assets.

I would still put the capital out if the right opportunity came up.

Brad

•••
When I sell names, the first thing I do is get ahead on renewals. Other than names I plan to drop, I try to stay at least 3 months ahead. Right now I am 7 months ahead.

If I am more than 6 months ahead, 50% goes back into acquisition and the rest to my bank account.

I don't like to get stressed on renewals and make poor drop decisions because I don't want to come out of pocket.

•••
I am in the same boat.

Years ago, 100%. In recent years, much less.

I just find a lack of appealing opportunities at current resale prices. When you already own thousands of domains, paying 5x-10x what you paid re-seller 5+ years ago is just not that appealing.

Investment wise I tend to move a lot of my domain sales income into more liquid assets.

I would still put the capital out if the right opportunity came up.

Brad
Very true. This period it is hard to get decent names and outbound is no longer working like it was 5yrs ago.
Many things have changed in domain investment

•••
Back