NameSilo

What portion of your portfolio is the result of aftermarket purchases? (over US$100)

Labeled as discuss in General Domain Discussion started by garptrader, Jun 8, 2016.

Replies:
Views:

1. garptrader

garptrader Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Understandably all investors want to buy low and sell high so backorders and expiring domain auctions will comprise a considerable portion of domain purchases. Handregs offer a low entry point but may not offer as much upside. Generally speaking investors are not going to offer high-end domains at low prices. However, I am curious how often forum members search Godaddy Auctions for certain keywords and see what domains are available with a certain budget. Or is everyone just regging hundreds of new TLDs and waiting for an end user to pay $xxxx for them?

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Joseph Green

Joseph Green Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

My breakdown:
    • 40% from drop-catching (API and backorders)
    • 25% from expired auctions (exclusive to registrars)
    • 15% from registrants (marketplaces)
    • 10% from hand-registrations (available)
    • 5% from registrants (email)
    • 5% from brokers (newsletters)

3. Fancy.domains

Fancy.domains Golden bull of names Gold Account VIP

Only about 3% of my names are bought for more than a hundred dollars. However, about 75% of them are caught drops. Less than 20% are hand regs and this category is getting smaller every month.

As long I'm able to sell at least ten percent of my portfolio each year, I am ok with my current strategy, but the more I sell, the more I will invest. Occasionally also in XXX and XXXX-figure names.

4. DNGear

DNGear Domainnaut VIP

5. garptrader

garptrader Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Handregs have their place but only once you gain some experience in what type of domain a buyer might be willing to pay a premium price for. Thus you won't be handregging hundreds of made-up names no one wants. Backorders of aged expiring domains has been the most significant source of inventory. I have participated in forum and Namejet / Godaddy auctions but generally don't bid over low $XXX for such names. There have been a few occasions where I purchased an aftermarket name I felt was grossly underpriced but I generally don't find many domainers underpricing their domain names. :)

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!