IT.COM

poll What percentage of your retail sales volume from last 12 months was reported on NameBio?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Over the most recent 12 months, what percentage of your retail sales volume was reported on NameBio?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • 0%

votes
    72.5%
  • 1-25%

votes
    17.8%
  • 26-49%

votes
    3.8%
  • 50-74%

votes
    2.1%
  • 75-99%

votes
    1.3%
  • 100%

votes
    2.5%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Bob Hawkes

Top Member
NameTalent.com
Impact
To help assess what percentage of retail sales by individual investors are on NameBio, it is helpful to have input from sellers. Over the most recent 12 months, what percentage of your retail sales dollar volume was reported on NameBio, either by you or reported by the venue?

Please answer in terms of total sales volume. For example if you had sales of $10,000, $5000, $2000, three sales at $1000, but only the $5000 sale was reported on NameBio, call that 25% since $5000 out of $20,000 total was reported. Do not count wholesale sales to other domain investors.

Thank you in advance for responding to the poll.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
0% for most years since I've been domaining :) Sometimes it's difficult to separate retail and investor sales. For the sales that were tracked, the price level was roughly reseller rate.

•••
Direct landing page sales and Afternic/Afternic MLS sales=non reported. Only my Sedo sales are reported.

Last edited:
•••
Direct landing page sales and Afternic/Afternic MLS sales=non reported. Only my Sedo sales are reported.
Only my sedo sales get reported as well and even then not all of them do as the buyer has to agree to make the sale public.
They also are only Sedo sales because I’ve decided to use their escrow service to complete the transaction.

I voted 1-25%

•••
In the past, ive only reported bigger sales anyway or standoutish sales, like leaf /// ist , ty.

•••
For example if you had sales of $10,000, $5000, $2000, three sales at $1000, but only the $5000 sale was reported on NameBio, call that 25% since $5000 out of $20,000 total was reported.

Hi

1 sale, is not 25% of 6 total sales.

still, you'd probably do better by reviewing the reported sales thread and see how many are actually listed on nb, than any results from a poll.

i don't report any but some sales from sedo may be listed.

imo...

•••
1 sale, is not 25% of 6 total sales.
That is why I explained that I want it by dollar volume, not number of sales. By that it is 25% my example.

Instructions:
"what percentage of your retail sales dollar volume was reported on NameBio"

Last edited:
•••
s the buyer has to agree to make the sale public.
Just to clarify, at Sedo the default for $2000+ sales is to be reported in feed (which gets picked up by NameBio). The buyer (or seller) needs to pay an optional fee to get confidentiality of sale. I do realize you are talking about, in most cases, their lead closure service. I am not sure the regulations re that and reporting.

•••
still, you'd probably do better by reviewing the reported sales thread and see how many are actually listed on nb, than any results from a poll.
This is a good suggestion, and several times I have started to do exactly that. In the free form reporting the thread has, however, it is surprisingly time consuming to do. I have each time stopped after investing a number of hours.

Also, it would still not tell us the total percentage of individual sales reported, however, since many sellers don't report their sales on the thread here at NamePros either.

But yes, it would provide a valuable number that is related to the discussion, and thanks for the suggestion.

-Bob

•••
Just to clarify, at Sedo the default for $2000+ sales is to be reported in feed (which gets picked up by NameBio). The buyer (or seller) needs to pay an optional fee to get confidentiality of sale. I do realize you are talking about, in most cases, their lead closure service. I am not sure the regulations re that and reporting.
I don’t think I’ve sold a name at Sedo in years other than using their escrow service. When creating the transaction, it’s a yes/no question to “would you like this sale to be made public”. I’ve never had a buyer say anything about having to pay to make any of those transactions private and I’ve never been charged to make them private unless they’re hiding the charge in the escrow fees. The only sale in the past 12 months that has shown up on Namebio was one that instead of typing ‘yes’ or ‘No’, I just wrote, “It’s up to the buyer”.

I’d be surprised if 5% of my sales have ever been publicly reported.

•••
Thanks for info @m-i-k-e and confirming that for escrow at Sedo the process re price confidentiality.

For marketplace sales in general at Sedo, here is their statement:
  • Optional confidentiality: If the buyer does not wish to publish the sale of the domain name and its price, Sedo will charge an additional fee of 2.5% of the gross selling price (note the minimum fee)

•••
Optional confidentiality: If the buyer does not wish to publish the sale of the domain name and its price, Sedo will charge an additional fee of 2.5% of the gross selling price (note the minimum fee)
This is why I stopped using sedo many years ago.

•••
That is why I explained that I want it by dollar volume, not number of sales. By that it is 25% my example.

Instructions:
"what percentage of your retail sales dollar volume was reported on NameBio"
Hi

the title of the thread and the poll both say what percentage of your retail sales volume was reported on NameBio?

imo....

•••
the title of the thread and the poll both say what percentage of your retail sales volume was reported on NameBio?
Exactly. It is asking for volume, not by number. I included the example just to make meaning of volume clear, the dollar volume of retail sales.

•••
Unless it was reported by the venue it sold on, 0%.

I occasionally report sales on Twitter or NamePros though.

Brad

•••
With the new namebio pricing I'm inclined to think less dudes will be willing to report sales there.

Last edited:
•••
I use namebio all the time. But I only view the data as a small percentage of sells. We sell a lot all through dan/afternic and I never see the domains we sell on namebio

•••
I was expecting strong majority not to be reported, but surprised how many have 0%.

FWIW I voted 75-99%. I report to NameBio essentially all sales that I believe are retail sales. Every now and then one is not reported because of an informal request or some other reason.

For those who have not yet voted, please vote. Thank you.

-Bob

•••
Interesting topic.

I scan NameBio daily (Multiple times) for various niches and even dissect each report further by visiting the actual domains reported (Current status + Historical data) while doing Professional Appraisals.

Unfortunately, the majority (I would venture to say in the mid 95% range) are still parked, landed, or do not resolve, which is a very strong indicator that they were not end-user related use case sales reports and predominantly reseller exchanges (In many cases, 1 to 3 decades of sitting with no action), chasing trends and hype, while passing the hot potatoes around and trying not to get stuck with decades worth of renewals when the opportunity window closes and the trend or hype fades away.

A good example of a hyped trend was the 2015 to 2016 push for random 4-letter .nets I've been reviewing the last week. They literally hit hard and steady for 2+ years in the mid-xxx and some even spiked to low-xxxx in that time-frame.

Fast-forward to today and all those same .net reports are parked, landed, or do not resolve (Most dropped and never picked back up). The same mid-xxx to low-xxxx random 4-letters from 2015 to 2016 would be lucky to see reseller Mid-xx in today's market.

For those with access to see the data points in action, here are a few consistent professional appraisals for random 4-letter .net's that revealed the same hyped trend back then (ONLY accessible to Gold, VIP, and Pro members): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, etc...

I think those 7 evaluations paint a pretty clear and consistent picture...

At any rate, I figured I would share my 2-cents regarding Reseller to Reseller Vs. Reseller to End-User data averages I've come across when it comes to NameBio sales reports.

Everyone researches a bit different and results may vary. What works for one may not work for another and vice versa.

This is just my humble opinion.

•••
I was expecting strong majority not to be reported, but surprised how many have 0%.

FWIW I voted 75-99%. I report to NameBio essentially all sales that I believe are retail sales. Every now and then one is not reported because of an informal request or some other reason.

For those who have not yet voted, please vote. Thank you.

-Bob
I would have put 0 but just assumed in all the domains we sell there has to be some listed so went with 1-25. I cant check them all but have never seen any there in checking a couple dozen or so.

•••
When creating the transaction, it’s a yes/no question to “would you like this sale to be made public”. I’ve never had a buyer say anything about having to pay to make any of those transactions private and I’ve never been charged to make them private unless they’re hiding the charge in the escrow fees.

I wanted to confirm this for my own knowledge, so I checked with Sedo support - might as well share here as well;

When using Sedo's "External Transfer Service" there is no fee charged to keep the transaction private, just the simple yes/no question.

•••
I scan NameBio daily (Multiple times) for various niches and even dissect each report further by visiting the actual domains reported (Current status + Historical data) while doing Professional Appraisals.

Unfortunately, the majority (I would venture to say in the mid 95% range) are still parked, landed, or do not resolve, which is a very strong indicator that they were not end-user related use case sales reports and predominantly reseller exchanges (In many cases, 1 to 3 decades of sitting with no action), chasing trends and hype, while passing the hot potatoes around and trying not to get stuck with decades worth of renewals when the opportunity window closes and the trend or hype fades away.
Hi

just for clarity.

are you saying, based on your research,
that up to 95% of reported sales were not, "end-user related use" cases, because those names are either parked, landed or do not resolve?

also like to ask, if the search included sold prices for those names?

Thanks

imo...

•••
Hi

just for clarity.

are you saying, based on your research,
that up to 95% of reported sales were not, "end-user related use" cases, because those names are either parked, landed or do not resolve?

also like to ask, if the search included sold prices for those names?

Thanks

imo...
Hello,

Great question!

Generally, while evaluating a domain name (We all do it differently), one of the different data analysis's I do is leveraging the sales date/price (NameBio.com + DnSal.es), current development type/parking/landing (Current asset check and dissection), and history (WayBackMachine), all together, to determine whether a sale was predominantly a reseller, hobbyist, or end-user (Which I consider to be end-user use cases). This helps establish value points for each of the different market segments.

Quick examples of potential reseller sales report:
  • Sold 2+ years ago and still parked (No change in history)
  • Sold 5+ years ago and still has a Under Construction lander (No historical changes)
  • Sold 10+ years ago and still a sales lander (X3 historical changes and all were sales landers)
Quick examples of potential hobbyist sales report:
  • Sold 4 months ago and has a personal WordPress Blog on it (No historical changes)
  • Sold 2+ years ago and has a white-label affiliate product/service on it (No historical changes)
  • Sold 5+ years ago and has a PPC/PPL (Adsense, Infolinks, CJ, etc..) information driven revenue model (x2 Historical changes, both also PPC/PPL driven models)
Quick examples of a potential end-user sales report:
  • Sold 2+ months ago and has an Under construction lander (Generally, there's development within 24 months when it's an end-user acquisition)
  • Sold 1+ years ago and has a Leads capture (Sign-up to be notified of launch, Pre-registration waiting list, etc.)
  • Sold 2+ years ago and has a viable product or service development
  • Sold (Any date/time) with a public assumed name or corporate filing record within the county/state of the registrant
The above are just a small fraction of quick identifiers (There's lots more) to determine if a domain was a reseller, hobbyist, or end-user sale. It's not 100%, but gives a good idea.

You also have to look out for hyped market influences, as these can deceive many people by manipulating the value data to make it look like a combination has more value than it actually does. This is common with very large portfolio holders that have deep capital pockets. They will buy up a niche combination to corner the proverbial market and control the surface value within it.

Here's a few examples (ONLY accessible to VIP, Gold, and Pro members) in different evaluations where HugeDomains was the majority combination holder: 1, 2, 3

Note: The examples above are just of a small sample and not full in-depth niche specific portfolio dissections vs. combination sequence availability.

There's lots more to it all, but the above should give the basic idea without taking this thread too far off topic.

As mentioned prior, we all evaluate differently, so my methodologies may vary in results/equations or hypothesis from others.

At the end of the day, a domain name is truly only worth what a seller and buyer agree on.

In my opinion.

Last edited:
•••
Interesting topic.

A good example of a hyped trend was the 2015 to 2016 push for random 4-letter .nets I've been reviewing the last week. They literally hit hard and steady for 2+ years in the mid-xxx and some even spiked to low-xxxx in that time-frame.

Fast-forward to today and all those same .net reports are parked, landed, or do not resolve (Most dropped and never picked back up). The same mid-xxx to low-xxxx random 4-letters from 2015 to 2016 would be lucky to see reseller Mid-xx in today's market.

For those with access to see the data points in action, here are a few consistent professional appraisals for random 4-letter .net's that revealed the same hyped trend back then (ONLY accessible to Gold, VIP, and Pro members): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, etc...

I think those 7 evaluations paint a pretty clear and consistent picture...

At any rate, I figured I would share my 2-cents regarding Reseller to Reseller Vs. Reseller to End-User data averages I've come across when it comes to NameBio sales reports.

Everyone researches a bit different and results may vary. What works for one may not work for another and vice versa.

This is just my humble opinion.
I don't do any research at all,just trusting my gut and doing relatively well lol

Last edited:
•••
Only from Sedo. Dan/Afternic network not reported. Most on ns1/ns2 Dan landers. Used to like Dan but a few glitches popping up for me recently.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back