Dynadot

discuss What is your strategy in buying/selling the domains in the current market?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

BuyBrandWeb.com

Praveen ChidaboyinaTop Member
Impact
Things are changing very quickly and were seen two letter .org / .net sales for mid $XXXX USD 8 months ago. Most of the buyers are not showing interest in even single word .net/ .org /.info domains.
Most of the domain investors are liquidating .COM's even ready to see loses.

I know, there are many extensions are available in the current market and these are alternative to .COM/.Net/.Org/.info

Here it's my strategy

• Looking to buy single word .Net/.ORG/.Info for less than $150 USD
  • Best time to buy .COM's for very reasonable prices
  • Also looking for single word and premium keyword .io domains (Already own Perfumes.io , Diapers.io)

There are many sites developed/ running on .Net/.Org/.Info so everyone knows about .Net/.Org /.info (already enough publicity created/money spent by many companies on .COM/.Net/.Org/.Info otherwise have to spend lot of money on advertising for new GLTD's)
Noticed that, use of .io domains are increasing steadily ( can be a good / bad investment but buying only premium keywords likes Perfumes, diapers... Perfumes.club is available on Name.com for $23,000 USD and Perfume.reviews for $3,125 USD...)

As always, you are invited to share your strategies here, so that it can be helpful for newbie's or understanding the current market :xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Like any business, and this goes back before I was a kid.
Buy low, sell high.

•••
just because a "keyword .whatever" is listed at X amount, doesn't mean it's premium

only means the price is premium in comparison to a hand-reg

•••
Plus bad English to say:
Perfumes Reviews.

•••
•••
The rest of that would be Collect Early & Pay Late :)

•••
•••
Things are changing very quickly and were seen two letter .org / .net sales for mid $XXXX USD 8 months ago. Most of the buyers are not showing interest in even single word .net/ .org /.info domains.
Most of the domain investors are liquidating .COM's even ready to see loses.

I know, there are many extensions are available in the current market and these are alternative to .COM/.Net/.Org/.info

Here it's my strategy

• Looking to buy single word .Net/.ORG/.Info for less than $150 USD
  • Best time to buy .COM's for very reasonable prices
  • Also looking for single word and premium keyword .io domains (Already own Perfumes.io , Diapers.io)

There are many sites developed/ running on .Net/.Org/.Info so everyone knows about .Net/.Org /.info (already enough publicity created/money spent by many companies on .COM/.Net/.Org/.Info otherwise have to spend lot of money on advertising for new GLTD's)
Noticed that, use of .io domains are increasing steadily ( can be a good / bad investment but buying only premium keywords likes Perfumes, diapers... Perfumes.club is available on Name.com for $23,000 USD and Perfume.reviews for $3,125 USD...)

As always, you are invited to share your strategies here, so that it can be helpful for newbie's or understanding the current market :xf.wink:

Good question.

I think if you want to understand domaining you have to get into psychology, philosophy, and systems.

Side note: Domains have to be the most speculated-upon commodity in the history of mankind. And they're not even really a commodity. They're an idea--a concept!

What is the true purpose of a domain name? To provide access to a particular website, where one might go to acquire goods (ebay), gather information (wiki), interact with others (facebook), or watch others interact (xvideos). Seriously -- websites fulfill human needs.

A domain name simplifies access to a website, thus allowing myriad websites to fulfill human needs. The shorter, more memorable and concise a domain name is, the easier it is for a member of the human species to find a particular website, or return to it, and have his/her needs fulfilled by it.

That being said, what you have is a small percentage of the population ready and willing to put the time and effort into creating and maintaining websites that will fulfill the needs of others. Then you have a much larger percentage of the population willing to buy and resell domain names that will hopefully be used to reference such websites, resulting in a classical case of supply exceeding demand, to a ridiculous degree.

As far as how all of this pertains to the question in the OP...there are two types of people who purchase domain names. In another post I busted someone's balls for saying there are precisely two types of domainers, because the world we live in is generally not so black-and-white. But in the case of people purchasing domain names, there really only are two kinds. There are those who have an idea for a website and need a domain name for it, and there are those who are hoping to acquire a domain name they can resell and make an easy buck or $6278.

As a domainer, you need to first of all establish whether or not your potential buyer will be using the domain name for a website he/she is willing to devote some serious blood/sweat/tears to, or if they'll be trying to resell it. If you want to sell a domain to someone who will actually use it the way it's intended to be used, you first of all need to ascertain whether or not there's a market for it. Then you need ask yourself, very honestly, is it really a good name? Is it grammatically correct? Does it sound like something someone might actually say, in real life? Or does it sound like something someone from Microsoft would say, when the answer to your question isn't on the script they're reading from?

So, one way to sell a domain name is to acquire one that someone might actually want to use for his/her website, approach that person, and be willing to part with it for a reasonable price, with the understanding that this person's purchase must allow them to profit, while possibly not allowing for your early retirement, where you'll surround yourself with gorgeous members of the opposite sex, or same sex, if you prefer.

If you don't want to sell a domain name to an "end user", another option is to sell it to another domainer like yourself, also hoping to make some easy money. All you need to do is find someone a little dumber than you. Make them believe that the commodity you're offering to sell them, which has no practical value, can be sold to someone even dumber yet. And voila...you just made some easy money.

I know the second option may seem a little daunting, so I leave you with this this: never underestimate the capacity for human stupidity.

•••
@greggb

that's a good perspective of how it is in a nutshell

but some won't be able to swallow, what you just served-up

:)

•••
Type-in traffic operator plan

Using coupons, build a portfolio of hand reg names that earn more than renewal fee parked. Dump underperformers by renewal date. Sell 1% per year at retail prices to unsolicited inbound offers. Reinvest in renewals, hand regs, aftermarket names, distressed real estate and Sculpin IPA.

Burp

•••
In all my years of investing (40) I only met one seller who really understood you have to leave money on the table for the buyer.

•••
In all my years of investing (40) I only met one seller who really understood you have to leave money on the table for the buyer.

when you get what you ask for, there is no table.

imo....

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back