Domain Empire

What is the purpose of "minisites"?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I know this could possibly go in the Website forum but I felt like it was a newbie question so sorry ahead of time if it shouldnt be here.

Ive read posts about people will park their domains, and then set up a mini website on them when they have time.
What is the point of this? Advertisement?
And what are some sites to register your site to search engines?
For minisites do you need to buy hosting too?
Can a domain still be parked and getting revinue per click w/ a minisite running?

I will greatly appretiate any help you can offer.
Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
it is done mainly for market research and content providing.
http://www.theallineed.com/webmasters/06012032.htm
http://forums.seochat.com/site-reviews-17/minisite-for-the-purpose-of-market-research-10421.html

a parked page is just that it a parked page where content is manly controlled by the addon domain or whatever parking service you're using, it's usually cpc usually sites/domains that have traffic are better for this purpose, while minisites get their traffic from search engines because of it's niche and targeted keywords used on the site.

•••
The sole purpose of a mini-site is to attract highly targeted traffic. The more targeted the better. The concept is simple. Create a one or two page website that completely focuses on one specific topic. You will need to buy hosting to host your minisite(s).

•••
Could I see an example of a minisite?

•••
Hope this is ok to post this here, but try 1plus.net

•••
Checkout any site from the minisite king & fellow NP memeber Barefootech

•••
Ok thanks alot! those helped!

•••
weblord said:
it is done mainly for market research and content providing.
http://www.theallineed.com/webmasters/06012032.htm
http://forums.seochat.com/site-reviews-17/minisite-for-the-purpose-of-market-research-10421.html

a parked page is just that it a parked page where content is manly controlled by the addon domain or whatever parking service you're using, it's usually cpc usually sites/domains that have traffic are better for this purpose, while minisites get their traffic from search engines because of it's niche and targeted keywords used on the site.
Great links and explaination, weblord... rep up'd

EDIT: ooops, wont let me. I'll remember though and when I can... ^^^^^

•••
thanks, ~ Cyberian ~
I find that youre always on my side, feeling spoiled already. lol

•••
It's easy to be on the side of one as unselfish, gracious, honest and helpful.
Always quality posts from the weblord!! :tu:

•••
I think a minisite can be the lazy man's way of doing things as well. It's a quicker and simpler way of making money from your site. The right domains can easily generate good money without the added time and effort one might spend developing a full blown website.

•••
Last edited:
•••
If you build a one page website, it requires little effort compared to full scale development and you can put your own revenue generating ads on it like Google Adsense. Minisites can also be indexed by search engines and gain PageRank, while most parking pages can not.

You may or may not find that its more profitable to do this compared to parking a domain with a popular parking service. While the parking service does take their share of the ad proceeds, in some cases they may run higher paying ads then you would get through your own Adsense account.

Experiment and see what works best for your domains. I've found a mixture of home brew mini-websites on some domains and domain parking with several companies for the rest to be the most profitable for me.

RJ

•••
K so I have made a minisite for one of my domains, however the domain is parked at sedo.

how do i "unpark" my domain from sedo? or do i need to? can i still be listed on the "for sale" domain list at sedo w/out being parked there?

by the way, thank you so much for all of your help, ive learned so much tonight!

•••
lol already not sure if you're talking about me thanks so much for the kind encouraging words. I hope to live up with the standards.
~ Cyberian ~ said:
It's easy to be on the side of one as unselfish, gracious, honest and helpful.
Always quality posts from the weblord!! :tu:

here's a minisite directory, not mainly for design but for content (seo)
http://www.minisites.org/dir.html
see the keywords used on the menu

if it's newly registered domain better plan for it to become a minisite and when there's ample traffic brought by search engines, turn it into park when traffic becomes low again, make it into minisite then so on and so forth.
http://www.dntango.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55
http://cheap-domainregistrations.com/internet-service.htm

if expired domains go first to park it to take advantage of left over traffic by previous owner if low traffic again, turn it into minisite.

Last edited:
•••
weblord said:
if it's newly registered domain better plan for it to become a minisite and when there's ample traffic brought by search engines, turn it into park when traffic becomes low again, make it into minisite then so on and so forth.
What Are you on about, weblord
Leave it as a minisite ,not as you suggest swap it back and forth.
Any minisite will usually do better than as a park page anyway.
Plus besides usual ppc income sources like Adsense , you can sell text or banner links for an additional income stream something you cannot do with Park pages

•••
different strokes for different folks, in other forum i learned about U.S.$XXXX earnings on just parked pages, others are earning more on minisites. while other doesn't want either of them but goes to develop a forum. If you're settled in a minisite and content with the earnings, no one can convince you to switch it over to a parking page.

•••
I always thought the point of a mini-site (usually) is to make money. ;)

•••
yeah
seo+content+traffic+promote+work=money :)

emeri said:
I always thought the point of a mini-site (usually) is to make money. ;)

just ask your hosting provider for your prmary/secondary dns and change dns to that one as advised. you can't upload minisite contents if it's still parked at sedo.

Dwaltin said:
K so I have made a minisite for one of my domains, however the domain is parked at sedo.

how do i "unpark" my domain from sedo? or do i need to? can i still be listed on the "for sale" domain list at sedo w/out being parked there?

by the way, thank you so much for all of your help, ive learned so much tonight!

•••
Wow Thank all of you so much! You have no idea how big of a help you have been!

•••
This is the thread I was looking for !!! Great info, but just a few more questions. Having never developed a website, I'm taking my first crack at putting together a mini stite for my OntarioVacations.info domain. What do most of you use to develop the site, as in software? My idea for the site is to put different headings like Camping, Fishing Lodges, Resorts, Tourism Attractions etc., and sign up for Adsense. Would it be a good idea to find some articles for the above headings that I can re-publish, and put them on the site. What about putting links to other sites that are revelant. Would I have to get the site owners permission to do so.

Thanks for the info guys, great thread.

•••
In the seo world I have always refered to these as "microsites"... yet over here everyone calls then "minisites". Same thing different word...?

•••
What do most of you use to develop the site, as in software?
I use a free software called AceHTML - quite good, but you have to know HTML to use it

Would it be a good idea to find some articles for the above headings that I can re-publish, and put them on the site.

Yes - but remember we are talking about 'minisites' in this tread, a type of site in between your average website and a simple domain name 'holding' page. GoArticles.com is quite good for articles - remember to follow their terms and conditions, though.

What about putting links to other sites that are revelant.

No, keep links to a minimum because you want visitors to click on the Ads..........................

Would I have to get the site owners permission to do so.

No

I hope this is helpful...........

•••
Thanks for the info RSK. I have found some other software free to download, EvrSoft First Page 2006, looks like it will do the trick. I am also looking for a good book to begin learning HTML. I have looked at a few online tutorials, and they were helpful, but I would like to find a good text. Can anyone recommend one.

Thanks

•••
There must be 100s of good books and I dont think there is one single book which covers everything.

I personally recommend:-

Creating Web Pages For Dummies by Bud E. Smith, Arthur Bebak [poss a bit old now]

Web Design in a Nutshell (3rd edition) by Jennifer Niederst (Pub: O'Reilly)
[I started out with 1st edition a few years ago] - this is more of a reference book, and very useful once you have an idea of HTML concepts

There are so many is different styles that I would recommend visiting a large bookstore and browsing the different HTML/ web design books they have, if you can, to get something that suits your learning style..........

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back