IT.COM

What is the number 1 thing you're looking for when purchasing a domain in 2015?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

What is the number 1 thing you're looking for when purchasing a domain in 2015?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Keywords

votes
    46.6%
  • Brandability

votes
    58.6%
    votes
    13.8%
  • Establishment/past development

votes
    6.9%
  • Pagerank

vote
    1.7%
  • Domain Authority/Moz rankings etc.

votes
    6.9%
  • Trendy; new technology something up and coming

votes
    36.2%
  • Other

votes
    10.3%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
I know that in my years of domain flipping I've seen a lot of different trends. Back before google cracked down and changed their algorithm it seemed like people were all about the exact keyword domains. It was so easy to flip those names because there were end users everywhere wanting to set them up, buy backlinks, rank it, and throw affiliate links on it. Now a newly registered exact match even with a ton of searches takes ages to get ranked.

Now it seems like those same people buying up exact match names are going after domains with domain authority and page authority. Pagerank has fizzled out as google has made statements they no longer plan to update pagerank.

Lately I've shifted my focus more on brandable domain names and I feel there will always be a market for them no matter what changes google makes to their search algorithm. So for me the biggest thing I look for is brandability. If I were the end user and that were my niche would I really want to go around telling friends, family, potential customers, etc. that xxxxxxx.com is my business and I'd be proud of it. That's always the first and biggest thing I think of, what are yours?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yeah, I have been like that since I got big into domains and site development/designing. I am always taking notes of things I see on the bigger and more popular sites to get ideas as to what I can do to mine to improve them.

•••
checked-check-button_318-30643.jpg
nTLDs

•••
My main and first thing is that I have to like the domain.

•••
My currently methodology is to ask myself just two questions:

1. Can I identify numerous parties who might like to acquire this domain?

Yes = register
No = move to question two

2. Would I be prepared to hold the domain for several years, waiting for a buyer to come along?

Yes = register
No = Don't register

I see a fair few newbies registering at a ridiculous rate who could perhaps benefit from devising a similar simple system to assess the likelihood of a quick sale, whilst thinking a little more about their renew bills.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back