Domain Empire

What is the best FREE BB software?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I would like to run a BB site only and also make money from it. What software would you recomend?
RickyG

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hopefully phpBB 2.2 will be much more secure.

•••
iPB for my unteenth time around. s3.iPB the way to go. phpBB on its way down ;)

•••
Unknown said:
Hopefully phpBB 2.2 will be much more secure.

If/when it ever comes out. I really thought it would be released last year, but hopefully it will be soon.

•••
AdoptableDomains said:
If/when it ever comes out. I really thought it would be released last year, but hopefully it will be soon.

No more phpbb 2.2.

it would be called "Olympus" then.

•••
Yeah know its called Olympus, but many people wouldn't know what I meant.

•••
Yeah but now they are going up to 3.0.0 so I aussume that there will be alot of important improvements to security.

•••
I hope. But I fear they will start to charge like IPB.

•••
They might, who knows - after the IPB situation it's hard to know. However, right now I wouldn't pay a dime for phpBB though the software is decent. I found a mod'ed setup the other day and I'm experimenting with that right now to see how it works.

•••
I like vBulletin (VB). Top quality software, IMHO.

•••
Well, the largest forum on the net uses phpBB but they ahcked the crap out of it so not really a fair comparison.
Of the rest of the top 20 most are custom or VB. To see a list visit: http://www.big-boards.com

SMF (simplemachines) caught my eye a while ago and I just started using it a couple of days ago to get a feel for how it works. Great so far.
I have a very large Vb forum and used Vb because of the availability of hacks and their huge community always making new hacks etc.
I have to say that if SMF keeps growing it could stand up to VB.

I also have an IPB and phpBB board and Vb is far better for my applications.

If you just need something basic I would say SMF simplemachines.org

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back