Domain Empire

What is the best FREE BB software?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I would like to run a BB site only and also make money from it. What software would you recomend?
RickyG

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is the order I think the boards should be placed in:
1. IPB
2. VB
3. PHPBB
4-ect. and the rest that are out there.

•••
If you host with netfirms you get 5 free phpbb already set up and all you need to do is add the skins and plugin's you want

•••
IMHO vBulletin is the most advanced. Especially for very large boards. But, of course, you have to pay for it. We use Simple Machines (SMF), which is fairly new (came out of the YaBBSE projects). It's fairly new and can't compete for pure functionality with vBulletin and it doens't yet have the massive user base of PHPBB. But it does have some unique features and, if you know your PHP, is very customisable.

•••
too bad invision is not free unless you have a copy lying around these days, so the only good choice left is phpbb.

•••
I can't wait for phpBB 2.2.. Hopefully it stays free. Its one of the best forums I've used, and I know it like the back of my hand :)

•••
vB is the best paid but I would have to say invision if you still have a copy like I do, and then phpbb.

•••
webdome said:
Probably it is. I fond it few months ago; since than, I love it. Security, speed, ability to connect with newsgroup sever!

FUDForum has a nice referral feature. Can the admin of FUDForum download/export the membership mailing list with all the information fields for each member, INCLUDING each member's email address and the referral credits associated with each member?

•••
I like phpBB as well, as long as we're talking free. The helpful community and large amount of mods makes it very versatile. I particularly like the syndication mod that allows me to put a running last 10 posts on the front page of my website. I have mostly niche sites, but if I were don't a high traffic site I'd probably pick VB and pay just for the stability and speed.

•••
Am I the only one who noticed FUD is a complete and total ripoff of phpBB. Anyone, Anyone, Bueller, Bueller! Anyone seen Mr. Bueller!

:wave:

•••
If we are talking free, I would say PHPBB is by far the best. It is highly customizeable, and has thousands of free skins available. Obviousally vBulletin is better, but its price turns a lot of people away.

•••
phpBB has been a good forum when I used it. My only quibble is it can be a bit slow at time and exploits come out right and left (which is understandable for such a large board to an extent, I suppose). However, phpBB does seem to lead the pack in terms of number of exploits.

http://www.simplemachines.org

SMF is a newer forum that I've worked with a little. I got a lot of compliments on the speed of the forum and it can be worked with to look very good. I have a high opinion of it so far although the community is not as big.

http://www.mybboard.com

MyBB is another decent board. I've used it for a site of mine and it has done well so far. It's not quite as graphic as the other boards, but I think it's a nice simple forum for the average user. Once again, though, you have a small community.

I'd take a look at all of them to see what you need.

•••
Yes, I love PhpBB but more and more ppl are starting to use SMF.

•••
I think phpbb is the best one because it is fast, easy to admin, and has alot of mods and skins. But, if you have some money I would definetly go for a vbulliten license.

•••
phpBB is best for free, but i hate it. vBulletin is definitely the way to go if you want heaps of members

•••
•••
Invision is more secure, but phpBB has more plugins you can add. Be careful about phpBB though, it can be hacked easily :)

•••
Still? I thought after the released 2.0.11 it wasn't vulnerable at least not that vulnerable lol

•••
phpbb is cool for starting sites up, i dont like it tho because im use to vb.
IPB is the best way to go.

•••
Yeah if you have vbulliten you are lucky but if you dont then the best way to go is phpbb.

•••
phpBB is still A LOT more vaulnerable to being hacked than invision is.

•••
Yeah true but I never like invision because its admin panel wasnt the best.

•••
The admin panel is all over the place in IPB, but it works. PHPBB has alot of hacked sites

•••
Yep. phpBB = exploited very easily

•••
•••
Wow I like their forum but I would like to see a demo of the admin area first before I start playing around with it. http://icebb.kenkarpg.info/

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back