Domain Empire

opinion What is the best book you have read that has helped you become a better domain investor?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

kartikahuja

Established Member
Impact
I'll go first

As I work in short dot-com brandables - "Hello, My Name is Awesome by Alexandra Watkins" has and is helping me.

I am also consistently reading Reddit threads, Tweets and now staying active here on NamePros :D

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Rather than reading a book, I spend or invest that time reading Namepros!

•••
•••
Haven't read any books, however, I found few good domaining groups on clubhouse hosting different activities. It's good for new domainers to know the community and learn.

Also, Twitter can give you the latest news as most of the domainers are active on it

•••
Every book you read will help you become a better domain investor. Reading books help you connect the dots and will help you as a domainers.

I read 2-3 books every week and these are some books that I felt were helpful in the domaining business.

So let us first Analyse this- What makes you a good domainer?

1) Being able to pick good names?
Classical books on Branding will help you understand what makes a good Brand.

The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding by Al and Laura Ries is a great primer on Brands. You can ignore the Internet business sections but the basics are still true.

If you are not very good in words, then The elements of Eloquence is a great read to understand 2-3 three word names

The Etymologicon is another good book on words.

2) Being able to understand customer psychology, and sales copy?

I like Thinking, Fast and Slow: Daniel Kahneman, Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely, Ca$hvertising

Many more... Just reading books will expand your horizon and help connect the dots..

^^ This is a book that everyone should read. Will help you in all manners of business and personal finance.

If you are a domain investor, I would suggest some books on negotiation. It is a very underrated skill in general.

A couple of the better ones -

Never Split the Difference
https://www.amazon.com/Never-Split-Difference-Negotiating-Depended/dp/0062407805/

The Psychology of Persuasion
https://www.amazon.com/Influence-Psychology-Persuasion-Robert-Cialdini/dp/006124189X

I love these too.. Great books..

•••
The book of common sense, that isn't so common

You don't need a book to know what a good domain is, its evident. If anything as @bmugford pointed out, sharpening negotiation skills is probably helpful

Regarding outbound / other side strategy ...learning in a forum, sharing and networking. Pretty much covers it, as far as I'm concerned

Last edited:
•••
Good suggestions here.

I suggest Art of thinking Clearly by Rolf Dobelli about cognitive errors which will help you in general.

•••
1. Long Tail Theory
2. Freakonomics

•••
This will probably sound like a joke, but....
The dictionary.
It is quite important when you first start out. Spelling and word usage should be a huge consideration whenever you look to purchase or register a new domain. This includes domains in other languages and their nuances. Who hasn't registered a domain and all the while totally excited that you found a gem that went totally unregistered - Only to realize that the reason that it is available is obvious to everyone else.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Every book you read will help you become a better domain investor. Reading books help you connect the dots and will help you as a domainers.

I read 2-3 books every week and these are some books that I felt were helpful in the domaining business.

So let us first Analyse this- What makes you a good domainer?

1) Being able to pick good names?
Classical books on Branding will help you understand what makes a good Brand.

The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding by Al and Laura Ries is a great primer on Brands. You can ignore the Internet business sections but the basics are still true.

If you are not very good in words, then The elements of Eloquence is a great read to understand 2-3 three word names

The Etymologicon is another good book on words.

2) Being able to understand customer psychology, and sales copy?

I like Thinking, Fast and Slow: Daniel Kahneman, Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely, Ca$hvertising

Many more... Just reading books will expand your horizon and help connect the dots..

^^ This is a book that everyone should read. Will help you in all manners of business and personal finance.

I love these too.. Great books..
Do you have a goodreads account with your books read/ to read?

•••
Do you have a goodreads account with your books read/ to read?
I am sorry I don't review books or anything on goodreads. I only read goodread when I google for a book and end up there to skin through the reviews.

I also listen to a lot of podcasts and many of the recommend books while doing an interview and so on, and that is one of my sources.

You are Not so Smart is a great podcast to follow and you will come across great books just listening to it, Give it a try, you will be hooked.

There is another Indian podcast, seen and the unseen that I follow. It is more for contemporary Indian economics, society and politics, but many of the guests are very well and recommend many books. I can't keep up with the books they recommend..

Last edited:
•••
Future is Faster than You Think
Max Tegmark all books
Watching any of Ray Kurzweil's speeches on YT
The 4th Industrial Revolution

Basically anything related to the future. As that's where you're going to make money as a domainer

•••
Artamène ou le Grand Cyrus the longest book so if i buy the longest domain....

•••
This will probably sound like a joke, but....
The dictionary.
It is quite important when you first start out. Spelling and word usage should be a huge consideration whenever you look to purchase or register a new domain. This includes domains in other languages and their nuances. Who hasn't registered a domain and all the while totally excited that you found a gem that went totally unregistered - Only to realize that the reason that it is available is obvious to everyone else.

I totally agree, and add to that a thesaurus.

•••
Can you help with a copy of the book please?

DomainBank247

•••
https://shop.automotivetrainingnetwork.com/collections/stuker-training-manual
Nothing to do with domains but i apply the lessons daily as memorized it and rescript own sale inbound based on it. I did the full course mid 90s and also dealer course as was paid for and couldn't attend. I just got a lot out of it as i was young 20s and knew nothing about sales. I met the big guy and well thanks for the knowledge I have mentioned Tom Stukker a few times. As mentioned it is car sales targeted which are high figure sales.

Last edited:
•••
"Journey to the word" by Edward Vartanyan:

What is this book about? Of course, about words. And more about phraseological turns. Originally Russian and foreign, of venerable age and just born. About various stories and metamorphoses that happened to the "heroes" of the book. About their biographies and genealogies.

The book will reveal to you a lot of linguistic secrets.

Do you know, for example, words from how many languages we use in everyday speech? My answer is: a lot of words from a dozen or so languages. Incredible? Let's count.

Class is a word of Latin origin. School is a Greek word. Briefcase - French, satchel - German, pencil - Turkish, tundra - Finnish, pioneer - English, tomahawk - Algonquian, candy - Italian, tea - Chinese. From Dutch - hatch, Malay - orangutan, Hindi - sugar, Persian - syrup, Turkish - kiosk, Japanese - karate, Aztec - chocolate, Jewish - hippopotamus.

At every step of the "journey" there are invisibly placed questions "Do you know what? .."

Journey to the Word, published by Sovetskaya Rossiya Publishing House in 1975, brought the author favorable reviews in print and letters from readers, both young and adult.

More:

https://translate.google.com/transl...vartanyan/puteshestvie-v-slovo/chitat-onlayn/

I read this as a child, long before starting investing in anything :). The book is in Russian ONLY. Original title: Эдуард Вартаньян, Путешествие в слово

pvs.jpg

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back