IT.COM

discuss What is a Domainer? How many people think they are one when they really aren’t?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
vectorstock_16234543-768x514.png
I was talking with a friend yesterday, he only knows me as a startup founder, but the conversation moved to domain names and domain investing, he has no idea I have a blog or that I’ve been buying and selling domain names for the last ten years. His initial response was, “wait – so you’ve also been cybersquatting all of these years?” To which I said, “no, some people invest in stocks, mutual funds, real estate, etc. I’ve decided to put the majority of my investment dollars into domain names.”
Then he asked a question that I couldn’t answer, “so what is a Domainer?” His point was that he owns a few domain names, he’s sold two domains in his entire life but he still (despite my best effort) considers people that own a bunch of domains and holds onto them for a long time without selling unless they get a great offer, Cybersquatters. He’s not alone, I’ve had a lot of people call me a squatter over the years, and I’ve also helped a lot of people get domain names that have transformed their business...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
A squatter is a person who takes control of an asset illegally, and sits on it without paying rent. I aquire my names legally, and I pay rent (reg and renewal fees).

In my opinion, A domainer is a person who makes money from domain names as a registrant, registrar or registry

•••
I would say the majority of domainers are domain collectors, and they don't even realize it :)

•••
I would say the majority of domainers are domain collectors, and they don't even realize it :)

I agree, but of course that doesn't include me. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back