NameSilo

What is a domain hack

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
NamecheapNamecheap
Watch

shursight

Established Member
Impact
2
Im new at this. what does domain hack mean? thanks.
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Unstoppable Domains — AI StorefrontUnstoppable Domains — AI Storefront
A blog is a great idea for a name like that. There's a blog saltydroid.info where the lone writer of it is anonymous but is absolutely POUNDING the fairly scammy internet marketing "guru" industry and his blog has been growing leaps and bounds in traffic from it. A name like sc.am with something like that would be a sure hit.

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------



There isn't really different terms to distinguish those, but here's a thought:

Doma.in = Word hack
Help.us, Save.us etc. = Phrase hack
Del.icio.us = Sub hack (domain hack utilizing a subdomain), and of course also a word hack (so a word sub hack?)

A sub hack could also not necessarily be a true domain hack...i.e. Del.icious.com or 9.99Domains.com don't use the extension but use the subdomains. They aren't as popular as regular ones though.

The other term is major hack (no sub domain) minor hack (with sub domain)
 
1
•••
So,

delicio.us : word hack or major word hack
del.icio.us : sub word hack or minor word hack

help.us : phrase hack or major phrase hack
h.elp.us : sub phrase hack or minor phrase hack


What about helppeo.ple and help.peo.ple?

I think those shouldn't be seen as phrase hacks! In my opinion, a phrase hack must mandatory use the extension as a single word.

What do you think?
 
Last edited:
0
•••
So,

delicio.us : word hack or major word hack ......MAJOR
del.icio.us : sub word hack or minor word hack .....MINOR

help.us : phrase hack or major phrase hack MAJOR PHRASE
h.elp.us : sub phrase hack or minor phrase hack MINOR PHRASE


What about helppeo@ple and help.peo@ple?

I think those shouldn't be seen as phrase hacks! In my opinion, a phrase hack must mandatory use the extension as a single word.

What do you think?

your examples for major and minor are correct, regarding phrase hacks It's complicated , i would consider recycle.it a phrase hack , unsure about the @ part of a hack
 
Last edited:
0
•••
your examples for major and minor are correct, regarding phrase hacks It's complicated , i would consider recycle.it a phrase hack , unsure about the @ part of a hack

Sorry, it wanted to say helppeo.ple and help.peo.ple. I have no idea why I used "@! (brain fart!)

I would say "recycle.it" is a phrase hack indeed! It's only when the extension is not a complete word (ie: helppeo.ple) that I'm not sure how to call the resulting domain...
 
0
•••
usually I believe people treat as
word hack >= phrase hack > sub hack

phrase hack depends on how you put the dot in, of course recycle.it is a good one and helppeo.ple does not
Also help.peo.ple is a sub hack which usually confuse people. There are different views on hacks which have more than 1 word. I would suggest if you want to buy a hack, the hack have those meaning like recycle.it and word hack would be a good one. Hacks are good for people to read, but more dots just confuses people.

I have a hack adverti.se and progr.am, which both are word hack. But in the Internet I also found adv.erti.se , p.rogr.am , pr.ogr.am and pro.gr.am. These sub hack all appears after I bought those 2. Not difficult to say hacks are being more emphasized :)
 
Last edited:
0
•••
I repeat my question: would you consider something such as browse.to or this.is a domain hack? Especially when knowing many of those are offered as URL redirections (eg browse.to/name-of-site) I'd say this does at least deserve to be considered a domain hack.
 
0
•••
DomainEasy: flexible LTO options. Close more domain deals with financing.

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back