Dynadot

debate What is a brandable domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

JayT

Restricted (85-100%)
Impact
There was a huge debate in chat room. Everyone participating thought I was wrong:(

-My definition of a brandable: any made up word or non-definite string of words.

-NOT a brandable: 'any generic (dictionary)word, or combination of words that have a rather exacting meaning / have one obvious 'best use'.

My Real examples from chat:
NON BRANDABLE:
Jade.com
Popcorn.com
GoldNews.net
Muffins.org
Apple.com
Monkey.com

All these words can be brandable. Obviously apple isn't expected to be a computer company, but it is. According to everyone else in chat it was a brandable domain all along! They said Jade could be a hotel, or airliner, and as such, it is a brandable domain too. They said GoldNews was a brandable too (and gave crazy reasoning)! My argument was that in reality, anything can be brandable. I told them I could brand blueberrymuffin.com into a baby clothing store (they disagreed) So popcorn.com is brandable but blueberrymuffin.com isn't? I do not think we should be calling the above domains brandables.

It is easier to see when a domain IS a brandable...

They are casting this wide net. I asked why even use the term 'brandable' if it's going to encompass all these domains? Furthermore, if they hated a domain (example: tyvix.com) they said it was NOT a brandable! I could not believe it! They have no definition! they are just going off emotions! Looks like that if they hate a domain they don't want to associate it with their beloved 'brandables'...okay so reality check. Yes, any name can be branded to anything. Do that mean we, as domainers, consider that a brandable domain? Again, why even use the term if we apply it to all of these domains? Why don't we just stop calling them domains and start calling them brandables? (one guy even suggesting just by adding .com or w/e to the end, you are instantly making a brandable, LOL!)

my real examples:
BRANDABLE:
Tyvix.com
Purpleknife.com
Scratchmonkey.com

These word/string are not generic. They have no certain meaning at all. The names can be used for almost anything. These are the kind of domains we should be calling 'brandable'

I would appreciate anyone's input here. This thread might be a little selfish, just to prove to myself that I am not way off base here. I am confused...everyone else was arguing with me...and this seems so simple to me. I am also writing this to warn you because I think it's important to see sentiment!

I highly recommend stop buying 'brandables' This is way over saturated, and ludicrous now. This argument opened my eyes more than ever that this is a big brandable bubble now, ready to pop, just like chips. I honestly think everyone is feeling threatened and must add these good generic domains into their definition of 'brandable' to protect their investment. This is exactly what happens in bubble, investors become irrational. Do not be self-centered people, LOOK around!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@Nat47 Said:
"You're the type of moron who sends me ChildrenGoCart.com and BestAppleComputers.com and iPhoneHax.com when I ask for a brand name."

^coming from a person saying apple is brandable but applecomputers isn't - he didn't know apple was originally apple computers! LOL!.

No, I am not that "moron". I never did anything remote. I don't even reply to threads looking for "brandables", lol what a joke. You project fallacy, assuming I do such a thing to try and justify your position. You are the moron.

I make a thread about 'defining brandable' and everyone attacks me, yet, complain when people send them 'non brandable' domains per request. WELL DEFINE BRANDBLE DUH.

I am trying to FIX the above problem, and people are just fools without giving any definition of their own.

Everyone wants a 'brandable' domain, and all ya'll think a brandable is just a domain that you like. You have no guidelines. Then you want to call me a moron when I tell you that you can't have a word without a definition.

Everyone trying to use the argument like jade, gold, tiger are brandables but beer, google applecomputers etc are not...no definition just stupid examples that don't even have any rational behind it. GOOGLE is not a brandable according to a few on this thread - LOL!

Someone saying google is not a brandable because it's trademarked. haha wow, thanks cpt. obvious. Since ONE person branded it, and the whole world can't, it can not be considered a brandable for the sake of examples in debate anymore.

I've found people are generally really stupid, and they buy into stupid things. Sell them stupid things and you'll be rich. Brandbucket etc. Wow all must be so proud of their bb published brandable profile, surely they are good domainers since they have extensive brandbucket accepted profiles. About the only success many domainers ever see, bb published domains.

I FIGURED HOW HOW DOMAINERS DEFINE BRANDABLE!
magic.gif

Last edited:
•••
Technically, what's brandable for one audience isn't brandable for another. Brandability has a lot to do with region, target audience, and goals.

•••
I like this one for a brandable domain Screaming Frog

•••
Good discussions.. to add:
Brandable domains evolve continuously - what is brandable today may not be so a few years down the line and what was brandable in the ester years may not be worthy today as it may be too generic. So, it all syncs and resonates with the business world, the peoples perception of business and get refined and evolved according to the above said dynamics and the newer generations thinking and perceptions. Domain name is just a pointer to the ever-changing business landscapes globally.

•••
Seems like Brandable is very subjective to what the end user can use a particular domain for.

•••
The domain that you are really looking to make them as a brand.

•••
There was a huge debate in chat room. Everyone participating thought I was wrong:(

-My definition of a brandable: any made up word or non-definite string of words.

-NOT a brandable: 'any generic (dictionary)word, or combination of words that have a rather exacting meaning / have one obvious 'best use'.

My Real examples from chat:
NON BRANDABLE:
Jade.com
Popcorn.com
GoldNews.net
Muffins.org
Apple.com
Monkey.com

All these words can be brandable. Obviously apple isn't expected to be a computer company, but it is. According to everyone else in chat it was a brandable domain all along! They said Jade could be a hotel, or airliner, and as such, it is a brandable domain too. They said GoldNews was a brandable too (and gave crazy reasoning)! My argument was that in reality, anything can be brandable. I told them I could brand blueberrymuffin.com into a baby clothing store (they disagreed) So popcorn.com is brandable but blueberrymuffin.com isn't? I do not think we should be calling the above domains brandables.

It is easier to see when a domain IS a brandable...

They are casting this wide net. I asked why even use the term 'brandable' if it's going to encompass all these domains? Furthermore, if they hated a domain (example: tyvix.com) they said it was NOT a brandable! I could not believe it! They have no definition! they are just going off emotions! Looks like that if they hate a domain they don't want to associate it with their beloved 'brandables'...okay so reality check. Yes, any name can be branded to anything. Do that mean we, as domainers, consider that a brandable domain? Again, why even use the term if we apply it to all of these domains? Why don't we just stop calling them domains and start calling them brandables? (one guy even suggesting just by adding .com or w/e to the end, you are instantly making a brandable, LOL!)

my real examples:
BRANDABLE:
Tyvix.com
Purpleknife.com
Scratchmonkey.com

These word/string are not generic. They have no certain meaning at all. The names can be used for almost anything. These are the kind of domains we should be calling 'brandable'

I would appreciate anyone's input here. This thread might be a little selfish, just to prove to myself that I am not way off base here. I am confused...everyone else was arguing with me...and this seems so simple to me. I am also writing this to warn you because I think it's important to see sentiment!

I highly recommend stop buying 'brandables' This is way over saturated, and ludicrous now. This argument opened my eyes more than ever that this is a big brandable bubble now, ready to pop, just like chips. I honestly think everyone is feeling threatened and must add these good generic domains into their definition of 'brandable' to protect their investment. This is exactly what happens in bubble, investors become irrational. Do not be self-centered people, LOOK around!

From what I see, there are a number of domain names floating around that are a nonsense combination of words, and yet it seems people expect to sell them for fortunes. I could see " Jade.com" being a jewelry importing company, or something else, but a lot of what I see out there is total nonsense.. My opinion..

•••
From what I see, there are a number of domain names floating around that are a nonsense combination of words, and yet it seems people expect to sell them for fortunes. I could see " Jade.com" being a jewelry importing company, or something else, but a lot of what I see out there is total nonsense.. My opinion..

1,2,3 words is subjective. I could make cruize.net into any business you ask me.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back