IT.COM

debate What is a brandable domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

JayT

Restricted (85-100%)
Impact
There was a huge debate in chat room. Everyone participating thought I was wrong:(

-My definition of a brandable: any made up word or non-definite string of words.

-NOT a brandable: 'any generic (dictionary)word, or combination of words that have a rather exacting meaning / have one obvious 'best use'.

My Real examples from chat:
NON BRANDABLE:
Jade.com
Popcorn.com
GoldNews.net
Muffins.org
Apple.com
Monkey.com

All these words can be brandable. Obviously apple isn't expected to be a computer company, but it is. According to everyone else in chat it was a brandable domain all along! They said Jade could be a hotel, or airliner, and as such, it is a brandable domain too. They said GoldNews was a brandable too (and gave crazy reasoning)! My argument was that in reality, anything can be brandable. I told them I could brand blueberrymuffin.com into a baby clothing store (they disagreed) So popcorn.com is brandable but blueberrymuffin.com isn't? I do not think we should be calling the above domains brandables.

It is easier to see when a domain IS a brandable...

They are casting this wide net. I asked why even use the term 'brandable' if it's going to encompass all these domains? Furthermore, if they hated a domain (example: tyvix.com) they said it was NOT a brandable! I could not believe it! They have no definition! they are just going off emotions! Looks like that if they hate a domain they don't want to associate it with their beloved 'brandables'...okay so reality check. Yes, any name can be branded to anything. Do that mean we, as domainers, consider that a brandable domain? Again, why even use the term if we apply it to all of these domains? Why don't we just stop calling them domains and start calling them brandables? (one guy even suggesting just by adding .com or w/e to the end, you are instantly making a brandable, LOL!)

my real examples:
BRANDABLE:
Tyvix.com
Purpleknife.com
Scratchmonkey.com

These word/string are not generic. They have no certain meaning at all. The names can be used for almost anything. These are the kind of domains we should be calling 'brandable'

I would appreciate anyone's input here. This thread might be a little selfish, just to prove to myself that I am not way off base here. I am confused...everyone else was arguing with me...and this seems so simple to me. I am also writing this to warn you because I think it's important to see sentiment!

I highly recommend stop buying 'brandables' This is way over saturated, and ludicrous now. This argument opened my eyes more than ever that this is a big brandable bubble now, ready to pop, just like chips. I honestly think everyone is feeling threatened and must add these good generic domains into their definition of 'brandable' to protect their investment. This is exactly what happens in bubble, investors become irrational. Do not be self-centered people, LOOK around!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It sounds like you misunderstood some of what we said, and we were probably wrong on some points too.

But that stuff aside,
A business can use a normal word like Rocket or Portal for a brand name, but that doesn't mean people think every "EMD" is brandable (such as Diabetes or something). That wouldn't make sense.
I'm not sure why you would think words like Rocket are not brandable or should be kept from being called brandable.

People here simply use the word brandable to quickly refer to those 5L/6L made up names and keyword .coms that aren't EMDs (or blends like jazzercise and other types).
But that doesn't mean an EMD can't be considered brandable. It could be "unbrandable" in a certain niche, like if you try to trademark "Beer" in the alcohol niche..instead of branding yourself as Beer dot com (I thought that kind of makes it a brand.. including the dot com in the name. Maybe I'm wrong). Who would brand with the word beer in another niche though ha.. it was just an example.
Some words could only ever really make sense as an EMD (nobody would ever use the word Alcoholism as a brand name)
In most cases, it should be pretty obvious if a dictionary word is brandable, in my opinion.

Same for multiple words. Why can't JetFuel be a cool brand name?

You mentioned BlueberryMuffins lol. Okay, yeah, technically someone could decide to use it as a brand I guess..because it's not negative like the ones I mentioned earlier (diabetes), but I think most of us can tell when something is better suited to be an EMD than a brand.. or the other way around (or that it has good potential to be both).

Maybe I can try to pin it down later if you want a real definition.

•••
In a way, this reminds me of the riddle/joke:

How many months of the year have 28 days?
Is the answer just 1 (February), or is all 12?

A lot of exact-match domains are brandable, like Amazon.com. But yeah, I would say when you say "brandable", people will think of examples like in the first post:

Purpleknife.com
Scratchmonkey.com
Tyvix.com

I would say all exact-match 1 or 2 word domains are at least somewhat brandable... but if you say "brandable", people will probably just think of domains that are *ONLY* brandable (not ones that are also exact-match).

It's kind of an issue of semantics, I would say.

Last edited:
•••
Geodomains are brandable, peoples names are brandable. Ford, Abercrombie and Fitch, Ann Summers, Eddie Bauer, Dell, plenty of names are brands, and so are GEOS, like: Amazon...IDK but a bunch for sure (im sure there are way better examples but you get the point ?) you are just making this up. You just said these are not brandables. You are just picking out what you think on emotion. Define it or debunk my definition....seriously you both are just coming up with examples and i will DEBUNK them everytime.

You really are thick headed. What part of, it's based on EMOTION and can't be DEFINED, don't you understand? And no, not every geo domain is brandable...for example, NorthWilliamsvilleCountyTennessee isn't really a great brandable name. But regardless, I'm done with this and I'm done debating with you because you won't listen to reason. There is no definition and you apparently won't be satisfied unless you read it in the dictionary, so whatever, think whatever you want.

•••
from a domainers view, it is a single word generic, otherwise EVERYTHING is a brandable.
This is completely illogical.
How do you jump from a short, appealing word being considered brandable to 'everything has to be considered a brandable then'?

I guess you'd like to see a picture of a tiger instead of a business when you visit tiger.com? After all, IT'S JUST A GENERIC EXACT MATCH DOMAIN.

Not all EMDs are brandable. Some are. Get over it.

Last edited:
•••
Don't overthink it, turn down the OCD, go outside, get some fresh air, go on a date with your partner, get away from the computer and all electronic devices.

At the end of the day, as long as you make money does it truly matter what you call it?

In a way, this reminds me of the riddle/joke:

How many months of the year have 28 days?
Is the answer just 1 (February), or is all 12?

A lot of exact-match domains are brandable, like Amazon.com. But yeah, I would say when you say "brandable", people will think of examples like in the first post:

Purpleknife.com
Scratchmonkey.com
Tyvix.com

I would say all exact-match 1 or 2 word domains are at least somewhat brandable... but if you say "brandable", people will probably just think of domains that are *ONLY* brandable (not ones that are also exact-match).

It's kind of an issue of semantics, I would say.

This.

EDIT:

I would go a little bit further and add that every single domain on the planet from generics, to IDNs to emoticons domains to anything has a brandability factor. Lets say between 1-100. So soedfjowiwer.com is brandable (albeit a 1 on the scale) and Amazon.com is also brandable (~100 on the scale).

However instead of looking at whether something is brandable, rather ask yourself, is this domain exact match or not? So soedfjowiwer.com is not EMD while Amazon.com is.

Last edited:
•••
Hey all,

I read a great definition of "brandable" from @Doron Vermaat in his latest post on DNgeek:

"The criteria for inclusion in the list (i.e. "brandable") are the same as previous years.
  • No numeric domains
  • Dotcom only
  • No 2L & 3L domains (as they are a breed on their own)
  • No one-word dictionary domains (in any language). This means the sale of Hora.com is not included for example as it’s the Spanish word for Hour.
  • Unless a word has an alternative spelling such as No 18 on the list, Humann.com or No 61, Typsy.com
  • No 4-letter acronyms unless they are pronounceable and used as a brand name instead of an acronym (many examples of those on this list!)
  • Two keyword domains can qualify. No 54, BrightEnergy.com, for example, is a brandable domain name while CleanEnergy.com would not have made this list.
  • Variation on words are allowed, such as No 715, Productly.com (none of these in the top 100 this year)"

This definition really resonated well with me. As much as any name can be turned into a brand, I think that in order for a domain to be strictly labeled as "brandable", it needs to be excluded from all other domain categories.

So yes, "Apple" can become a brand, but no it is not a "brandable" domain name because it already has a clear, defined meaning.

Last edited:
•••
Types of domains

1. Descriptive
The domain or brand describes what the company does.
Examples: Whole foods, WorkInjury, Free ConferenceCall, ContentMarketing, BigData, clutter.com

2. Suggestive
Suggests what your business is about however also invokes some creativity. Examples: neat.com, mint.com, twitter.com, clutter.com

3. Inventive
Creating a new word or using words of phrases that have nothing to do with a company’s industry or product offering.
Examples: Apple, Milk by Samsung

Example 1: Internet Browsers Internet Explorer would fall into the descriptive category. Safari is a suggestive name because it elicits the idea of exploring. Firefox is a case of using an inventive word for a brand that has nothing to do with the internet.

Example 2: Small Business Loans CapitalForMerchants.com would be an example of a descriptive domain. The Lending Tree would be an example of a suggestive brand. Kabbage is an inventive brand that has nothing to do with small business loans, but connotes growth, which is what businesses want to achieve.

Determine the best approach for your brand based on the competitive landscape. If the majority of brands are descriptive in your industry, it may make sense to use a suggestive domain to stand out and get noticed.

Source: .COM Strategies by Chris Zuiker - Sr. Broker of Media Options

Hope this helps. So, it could be categorized to other. Not just BRANDABLE or NON-BRANDABLE...

Last edited:
•••
From the OP:
"My argument was that in reality, anything can be brandable."
"Yes, any name can be branded to anything. Do that mean we, as domainers, consider that a brandable domain? Again, why even use the term if we apply it to all of these domains?"

YOU are saying all names can be branded (the definition of brandable).
Any name cannot just be branded into anything unless you're crazy, ignorant or want it to fail. Here's my new face wash for acne: I call it... Melanoma.

Last edited:
•••
Alright, I can try at a definition.

--------------------------------------

There are several types:

Made-up words of different types:

1) Root word with a suffix or prefix

2) Completely made up, only "word-like" and pronounceable (there may be a hint of a real word, but it is probably a short word and not intended)

3) Two or more words mixed together: Pictionary, Nabisco (national biscuit company), Nicorette

4) Any more?

Phrases that are not also EMDs:

1) (Keyword or EMD phrase) + (international, solutions, etc): RecruitingSolutions

2) (Non EMD phrase) + (international, solutions, etc): RapidRecruitingInternational

3) Non EMD phrases: RapidRecruiting. Lots of different things that can be done here.

Phrases that are also EMDs, call to action, other.. there are probably many more I can't think of:

1) FullMoon, RisingTide, hm.. my brain is fried

2) Phrase is a concept with characteristics which the business or product is also supposed to have

RocketBooster, a service that boosts your business in some way

3) Well-known idioms and call to action: OnTheBall, BeYourself

Keywords, places, etc.:

1) Some Animals (more recognizable ones with short names): Stingray, Mamba

2) Some Places: Saturn

3) Some adjectives: Sharp, Speedy, Clever, and on and on

4) Many more types of words.. Sometimes you have to come to your own conclusions though, right?

You might not approve of some of those, but that's kind of the point. It's so subjective.. but you want me to define it perfectly for you.

The words and phrases used to create the Non-EMD brandables mentioned above should sometimes not fall into this category except for the first subcategory (Maria's Wedding Gowns) and maybe others bleh:
These cannot stand on their own as brandables though..

Unbrandable EMDs:

Words and phrases that only make sense when used in their own niche:

Antiperspirant

HealthInsurance

LungDisease

CollegeDegree

WeddingGowns

and many more.

What are currently considered derogatory words or phrases:

Probably don't need to list any

Very long/specific animal names

City, Country, Continent names, unless the city is just a regular word

Some adjectives

Lots of others

--------------------------------------

It messed up all my tabs/spacing, so I had to put extra line breaks.

See how you would have to define everything if you wanted a detailed response? How are you going to easily outline EVERY category of appealing word or phrase?
Usually, we just use common sense, some research, and emotion, yeah, to know what is a good brand name. For some reason, you can't figure it out and insist on your definitions for no real reason (something about it being dangerous not to).

Clearly, there are some things that would not be appealing as brand names (to your target audience), some that simply cannot work as brandables, and some that are really nice or at least decent.

Last edited:
•••
Brandabilty IMO is the answer to the question "Could this name manifest a brand"? The answer could be very different depending on who you ask.

There are other types of domains that hold value for other reasons, but it's always, as language is, a question of interpretation. It's never exclusively one thing or the other. That is for mathematics or logics. Some names/words have a natural applicability to many things or concepts. Others function more like labels and are more specific.

Language is a moving, pulsating thing thankfully, subject to variation in meaning and usage.

•••
Brandable Domain:
A Domain that you think you can sell after you bought it - You end up put it in a $1 auction and sold for $2.

•••
Umm, you are off base. Of course being brand-able has to do with emotions, much like advertising. I can make up a word, for example: yudergwgsf...there you go. Is that brand-able? Not really. It has to be appealing to people to be brand-able, not just a random string of characters or a word people don't like.

•••
Umm, you are off base. Of course being brand-able has to do with emotions, much like advertising. I can make up a word, for example: yudergwgsf...there you go. Is that brand-able? Not really. It has to be appealing to people to be brand-able, not just a random string of characters or a word people don't like.
one mans trash is another mans treasure? Someone can turn 'yudergwgsf.com' into anything, they can succeed too, it is possible. That said, i agree yudergwgsf probably shouldn't be considered a brandable domain, it's just plain junk, but that's opinion.

You are just attacking the other end of the spectrum. I laid out a strong argument on why something generic/exacting/unmistakeable shouldn't be brandable. But this, you are saying something is so obscure that it's not considered a brandable. Again, you are protecting the idea of 'brandable by disqualifying domains on the bad end...and you protect the idea of brandable by accepting the good single words. You are selecting without a definition...you are emotionally doing this because you like 'brandable domains', and are trying to support their value. That is just emotional, it is not a definition. 'yudergwgsf.com' is obviously not a one word, or anything meaningful at all. infact, it is not too different from domains like 'yuder.com', which you might consider a great brandable.

Some people here would tell you that toptoptoptoptoptoptotptoptotptotptoptoptoptop...top.top is a brand. that is their opinion. one thing is for sure, it's not a GENERIC like monkey.com.

It is easier to qualify a domain as a generic than to disqualify as a brandable (IE: worthless junk), which is not so straight forward.

•••
This is completely illogical.
How do you jump from a short, appealing word being considered brandable to 'everything has to be considered a brandable then'?

I guess you'd like to see a picture of a tiger instead of a business when you visit tiger.com? After all, IT'S JUST A GENERIC.

So what business or product would you brand as Car Insurance? I'm curious.

Not all EMDs are brandable. Some are. Get over it.

Jacoliobo, sometime things mean something else IN SOME KIND OF CONTEXT. In the context of domaining, I do not think tiger.com is a brandable. It is a GENERIC single word domain. I am "jumping" to the conclusion that is it generic because where do you draw the line? I have stated over and over that if tiger.com is a brandable then so can be spidermonkey, so can dungbettle, so can every bird, fish, animal etc. It is a dictionary word, and that is one defining characteristic of a 'non-brandable in my defintions. I can apply this arugument to every 'real word' and draw it into infinity because you are giving no rules, just arbitary examples EVERY-SINGLE-TIME. You can't pick what works in your mind then say 'and so it shall be!' Again, tiger.com is a generic one word domain under my defintion. Under your idea it 'sounds good, so i'll say it is a brandable, but other animals might not be'.

I am saying carinsurance is not a brandable, it is a generic domain. it is a great domain too, plenty of business will "brand" to it, but from a domainers perspective, it is a EMD generic. You are throwing net over it all...

Define brandable, please. stop giving emotional examples for me to explain the same thing over and over in a different way hoping I make a mistake.

You are forcing "tiger.com is a brandable, beer.com is not" down my throat and not backing it up. It is YOU that is being unreasonable. It is glaringly obvious you are basing what is brandable off your opinion and emotion. Title is asking for an answer. You saying, "tiger.com is brandable" with no reason is not helping. I am denying these statements over and over.

Please, give me a logical explanation (KEEP EXAMPLES OUT) of why I am wrong:
definition of a brandable: any made up word or non-definite string of words.

-NOT to be considered a brandable: 'any generic (dictionary)word, or combination of words that have a rather exacting meaning / have one obvious 'best use'.

@jacoliobo I just read above post, I quote,"So you think the words diabetes and alcoholism are brandable? I guess not."

my answer: no, they are single dictionary words. they are non brandable, generics under my defintions. You guessed right..so what's your point? You are all over the map, making this thread way confusing! You are trying to confuse everyone here with sarcasm, trying to make me look wrong without backing again?

DISLIKE ME IF YOU THINK IM WRONG PEOPLE.

Last edited:
•••
I would argue: when does a domain derive most of it's value by being brandable, then it's proper to name it a brandable.
In my opionion there are basically three classes of domains:
Domains that derive their value foremost by being:
A) combinatorially scarce in their extension (aka tld) - classically the short domains
B) of significant keyword value (stats like searches and cpc) or opportunity value - e.g. high traffic keywords or trending topics
C) brandable - a scaffold that is empty waiting to be filled by meaning

•••
There are several types:

Made-up words of different types:

1) Root word with a suffix or prefix

2) Completely made up, only "word-like" and pronounceable (there may be a hint of a real word, but it is probably a short word and not intended)

3) Two or more words mixed together: Pictionary, Nabisco (national biscuit company), Nicorette

So you are just meaning 'imporper prefix-suffix' like "gladful"? Completely made up words and two words put together so that the outcome is made up and without a very defining meaning are brandable?

Exquisite! My definition is: "any word or combo of words that is made up"
You just said the same exact thing just in many more words - these are brandable domains (Terrible for a domainer...success is rare in the schme of things. They could seem 'amazing' because they were MADE amazing, it's a perception only, too many possibilities for good odds.)

Phrases that are not also EMDs:

1) (Keyword or EMD phrase) + (international, solutions, etc): RecruitingSolutions

2) (Non EMD phrase) + (international, solutions, etc): RapidRecruitingInternational

3) Non EMD phrases: RapidRecruiting. Lots of different things that can be done here.
I have been fighting off your specifics all this time, and here we are still...no definition, just examples for me to debunk...here goes...These are not brandables. It is going to take some mind work to agree, but read everything I say and try and take in the big picture. These are too exacting. These are actually GOOD domains ('brandables' almost always suck [yes, the majority are reg'ing sucking domains big time! *shock*]), as you should very well see. They are good because they have a clear meaning even when combined...it is a general/generic description of something specific. This cannot logically be applied to anything other than 'recruiting' plus the other word compliments/enhances the subject. This is common sense MEANINGFUL 2 word domain...obvious 'best use', my friend. How can this be branded for anything OTHER than recruiting? So let me forshadow here...RIGHT BACK atcha': common sense in effect.
[/Quote]

Phrases that are also EMDs, call to action, other.. there are probably many more I can't think of:

1) FullMoon, RisingTide, hm.. my brain is fried

2) Phrase is a concept with characteristics which the business or product is also supposed to have

RocketBooster, a service that boosts your business in some way

3) Well-known idioms and call to action: OnTheBall, BeYourself

These are harder to debunk. Think to what I am saying over and over: every domain CAN be a brandable, where do you draw the line? Teese boarder that line. Why? They are already existing terms. They are in essence, generic. They are just not widely used, and COULD make a good brand. But again, anything COULD make a good brand. As usual, my definition makes sense of it: rather exacting meaning. These have already established and understood exacting meaning, so you would TWIST that meaning to create a brandable. They are literately generic terms in general...you twisting it to you needs! Good domains though, as most generics are!

Keywords, places, etc.:

1) Some Animals (more recognizable ones with short names): Stingray, Mamba

2) Some Places: Saturn

3) Some adjectives: Sharp, Speedy, Clever, and on and on

4) Many more types of words.. Sometimes you have to come to your own conclusions though, right?
I beat this horse 10x over in the thread. Let's have some fun - make a theoretical scenario: A thread on namepros auctions named: Brandable domains!!! saturn.com, stingray.com, speedy.com!" Maybe this is weird? It should be...People want to connect these together because it will psychologically increase the value of their 'brandables'. Work with me here...They want you to think that unless domains like Saturn and Stingray lose value, their 'brandables' won't too. These are single word domains, and they are in a league of their own. I specifically qualified these as 'Generic" for good reason. They have to be "TWISTED" to conform to a brand. they are brandable in that sense, but in all reality, they are real words with meaning that cannot be logically applied to just anything. GENERIC. (good domains, as usual...pattern?)[/quote]

The words and phrases used to create the Non-EMD brandables mentioned above should not fall into this category:

Unbrandable EMDs:

Words and phrases that only make sense when used in their own niche:

Antiperspirant

HealthInsurance

LungDisease

CollegeDegree

WeddingGowns

and many more.
I agree, and I never denied it. These are very exacting 2 words that cannot be applied to anything else logically. GENERIC (some more good domains...)
------------------------------------

See how you would have to define everything if you wanted a detailed response? How are you going to easily outline EVERY category of appealing word or phrase?
It's not that hard. You are fighting yourself trying to prove me wrong. You are the one trying define every category. If you cannot understand what I am saying, we are on different pages. I think by now we have said all that we can.

Usually, we just use common sense, some research, and emotion, yeah, to know what is a good brand name. For some reason, you can't figure it out and insist on your definitions for no real reason (something about it being dangerous not to).
You can agree with me what IS brandable, you are just not agreeing what IS NOT...your net is cast too wide. Beauty is surprisingly subjective, but it's very hard for us to accept it...insecurity. I am creating a certainty to something that is otherwise subjective. Is not everyone beautiful, at least in someones eyes? I am human, and unfortunately, some people are ugly. I can call these ugly ones my generics, while to you, they are special brandables. In a perfect would they would all be one or the other, but we differentiate everything. Unless we define beauty we will argue eternally.

•••
I didn't read most of the posts, way tooooo wordy. My definition of a brand is:

A brand is what a service, product or company name is turned into once it becomes known and commercially available to the public.

What we sell are brandable domain names. They are nothing more than letters before an extension until someone turns it into a brand.

•••
It seems to me that there are actually three different things being discussed here:
  1. How do we define the word "brandable"?
  2. How do we define "a domain name that can be branded"?
  3. How do we define a "brandable domain name"?
The OP seems keen to focus on #3. It's actually a pretty cool exercise. I mean, we hear this word all the time, but clearly a lot of people have different ideas about what encompasses a brandable domain. The thing that simplifies it for me is this question:

"If I see an auction advertising a brandable domain, what will I expect to see?"

I know I won't see the following:
  • A one-word name (this would be advertised as a one-word name)
  • An EMD (for example: RockingChairs) - Sure you could build a brand around it, but for our purposes the EMD definition supersedes that fact.
  • A 4L or 5L name that I can't pronounce.

•••
Almost anything can be used as a brand name successfully. If that brand chooses to use the exact domain name, then that domain is the authentic platform for that brand \ company on the web.

RedFox is a real thing, RedSquare is a real thing, both make for brandable domain names.

FireFox is not a real thing, but it also makes for a strong brand obviously, so a domain name firefox is a brandable name no?

Quality counts. Some brandables are just garbage, some however are amazing because they play on our own experiences of real things \ objects.

I just call them brand names now, tend to use the term brandable less these days, since it creates confusion. I buy brand names in the form of a domain name, so for me, I look at many factors and all that matters is that it can be used as a brand.

•••
Almost anything can be used as a brand name successfully. If that brand chooses to use the exact domain name, then that domain is the authentic platform for that brand \ company on the web.

RedFox is a real thing, RedSquare is a real thing, both make for brandable domain names.

FireFox is not a real thing, but it also makes for a strong brand obviously, so a domain name firefox is a brandable name no?

Quality counts. Some brandables are just garbage, some however are amazing because they play on our own experiences of real things \ objects.

I just call them brand names now, tend to use the term brandable less these days, since it creates confusion. I buy brand names in the form of a domain name, so for me, I look at many factors and all that matters is that it can be used as a brand.

I think OP was hoping to remove some of that confusion through discussion.

While RedFox and RedSquare are real things, they are not product or service based. A company wouldn't sell red foxes or red squares.

If it's not a product or service based EMD, and it doesn't fit into any other pre-existing domain name categories, it's safe to call the name "brandable".

•••
The true meaning of "brandable" is a completely made up pronounceable name that could be used as a brand. At least it was many years ago. Over the years, as the popularity of the brandable domain niche has grown the cast of the net has gotten wider and wider that now almost anything is considered a brandable in the eyes of a domainer. Now, anything that could potentially name a company is considered a brandable even though that's not the true, original meaning of the term.

The term "brandable" is so specific to the domain industry that most outside of the industry, including branding professionals, are clueless to the term.

•••
@JayT I think you are 100% right.

Brandables should be some sort of made up word or string of words, or suffix add-on etc.

Brandable is different from a brand as you explained.

In that debate the fact that they thought you were wrong and they all felt the same meant you were hitting a nerve. I've seen you post excellent info on your points and back them up. Keep up the good work.

To reinforce your point:
App.com is not a brandable

App.com would be a brand a category killer etc a name every single person should want to own but not a brandable as defined by the market we are talking about.

But
appful.com
appgrape.com
appeo.com
These are brandables in terms of what we are talking about when we are talking about brandables.

If it is made up and sounds like something a that integrates with a bot or slack api or something you would hear on a CNN commercial break made by pfizer then you are onto what the heck a brandable is.

I hope a lot of people disagree with me.

•••
You are selecting without a definition...you are emotionally doing this because you like 'brandable domains', and are trying to support their value. That is just emotional, it is not a definition. 'yudergwgsf.com' is obviously not a one word, or anything meaningful at all. infact, it is not too different from domains like 'yuder.com', which you might consider a great brandable.

Some people here would tell you that toptoptoptoptoptoptotptoptotptotptoptoptoptop...top.top is a brand. that is their opinion. one thing is for sure, it's not a GENERIC like monkey.com.

I don't get what you are arguing about? YES, again, determining whether something is brandable or not does depend on emotion. That's the whole point. Being brandable is very similar to advertising...it has to appeal to peoples emotions. That's the whole idea. There is no 'test' for emotions or whether something is brandable.

•••
@jacolibo you wrote a lot...here let's focus on this, your main point, I believe.

Who would brand with the word beer in another niche though ha.. it was just an example.
Some words could only ever really make sense as an EMD (nobody would ever use the word Alcoholism as a brand name)
A clothing brand: 'Beer'
bear_deer_beer_t_shirt_trucker_hat-r823cdddc98de4e3f8ee672b9cdd2a4a6_v9wfy_8byvr_630.jpg

I prove my point on any example you give. You can brand everything to anything, if you wish. You guys are arguing the abstract, 'what if, arbitary'. SO why arn't all domains 'brandable' under your definition? If EVERY domain is 'brandable', why are we using the term? pointless...

I have defined brandable in first post, or not? Can you give a better definition or just make up examples that I just waste my time discrediting over and over?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back