NameSilo

advice What information do I need to point a hosting to a domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

likewise

Established Member
Impact
As I am using Godaddy currently. So, I will take it as an example. It has both my domain and hosting.

Now say by any chance godaddy get any trouble like the a2 hosting. So, what things I will need to point from a different host to the domain that is currently under Godaddy?

I hope I am explaining it alright. Anyway, thanks in advance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
IP address. It goes in the 'a record'

•••
If you are hypothesizing what you need to do if you move from GD to Hosting Company B for hosting in the future, you really need to change one thing on the Registrar side:

Nameservers - this is easy to find on the GoDaddy "DNS Management" area.

If the question is something else, I apologize, and let me know what I read incorrectly.

•••
He has it backwards, "point from a different host to the domain"...It's not that. You point the domain to the host.

•••
He has it backwards, "point from a different host to the domain"...It's not that. You point the domain to the host.

Okay, so pointing the domain to the new host. "A" record to the ip correct?

•••
•••
When you make any changes to DNS there is a thing called TTL, time till live (seconds). 300 sec (5 mins) is usually the shortest, but some are rather instant too. Just careful don't leave it at 2000 or something then wonder why it's not working. After the time, sometimes things take time to propagate. It is frustrating being new and not knowing some things on the internet things actually take time to happen LOL.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back