NameSilo

What hosting company would you recommend?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lionel Cohen

Established Member
Impact
Hi guys,

I am looking for advises on hosting companies for my domain name selling sites.
Any good or bad experiences to share?

Best regards

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I used Bluehost for one year and had no problems.
Then I moved to iPage. Had two small issues and can say support is very fast and kind.
Now I am thinking to move to Hostinger.
The reason I change hosting companies is that they offer cheap first year for new customers but renewal fees are high.
Also, I had bad experience with Hostgator two years ago - they required to send copy of my passport for verification, support was not so kind and I decided not to use them.

Would like to add that Hostinger had free plan without ads - not sure if still exists. It is good if you have small sites and low bandwith.

•••
Then I moved to iPage. Had two small issues and can say support is very fast and kind.
The reason I change hosting companies is that they offer cheap first year for new customers but renewal fees are high.
Also, I had bad experience with Hostgator two years ago - they required to send copy of my passport for verification, support was not so kind and I decided not to use them.
Thank you. I also heard not great support from Hostgator.

•••

Would like to add that Hostinger had free plan without ads - not sure if still exists. It is good if you have small sites and low bandwith.
Did you do any affiliate program with some of them?

•••
•••
A word of advice, whatever host you use, make sure it's not one owned by EIG. You can google "EIG hosting companies" and find some posts with lists of their companies. Some of the more well known ones they own are HostGator, iPage, BlueHost, etc.

There are tons of horror stories about them and I had 3 myself (2 with 1 of them) where they tried to pull scams on me. Do some research if you choose one of theirs before buying and you'll find it's common for them to be bad hosts to go with.

Now, with your needs. Since it seems like you won't need much space, any reputable host should do. Just make sure that they give you enough resources like RAM, CPU, HDD space (SSD preferred). I like RackSpace but they might be more expensive than you need. Namecheap also has great prices and service on theirs as well and I've used them several times with great experiences always.

•••
Thank you for your great inputs!
I am thinking of GoDaddy, any colour?

•••
Be careful when using GoDaddy, they don't give much resources, especially RAM. If you have a site that gets any decent amount of traffic or uses a lot of RAM like WordPress and some others then you will constantly be getting warnings that you are exceeding or about to exceed your resources and you need to buy more.

I know because I have used them and still do for a very small site and get them all the time. It will also cause your site to become unavailable from time to time with unexpected traffic bursts.

Just a heads up. Good Luck.

•••
Godaddy hosting is the best. They sell the most reliable shared hosting for the lowest price. My sites rarely go down -I use some third-party uptime monitoring services- Godaddy shared hosting is very powerful in handling high traffic spikes. I manage dedicated servers. So I know some technical info to compare. If you don't like godaddy because of some negative reviews on the internet, you can go for site5 shared hosting.

•••
GoDaddy give extremely little resources, especially RAM in compared to many other hosts. I like it for a single site because it does have great uptime, but if you get any decent amount of traffic it sends out resource limits warnings, especially if you have a WordPress site...

•••
Godaddy hosts databases on different multiple dedicated servers. Some servers run only mysql. They host emails on different dedicated servers, http is on a different server. This method makes a huge difference on RAM and CPU limits. I am not sure but I think the resources given or seen on user cpanels are only for the http server. Emails, http and mysql are hosted by different servers in Godaddy. They have migrated to cpanel and now they are able to limit RAM. I still use their old control panel as I paid in advance for many years before they start to offer cpanel. They were allowing 50 or 150 connections on mysql, 600 connections on http (apache) for the biggest shared hosting package. RAM was not limited and sold separately.

For a normal dedicated server or vps, at least 3 GB RAM is needed to run the OS, http, database, email, php and several caching and protection mechanisms. You run everything on a single computer if you choose vps or dedicated hosting instead of Godaddy shared packages. This is similar to your desktop pc or laptop. What is the RAM of your computer? Minimum 3 GB right? Dedicated servers or vps systems are almost the same. But Godaddy hosting is different as your sites are hosted by more than 1 computer/server. Think if you own 3 computers, one compter runs your browser, one of them runs your keyboard, one of them runs your network-antivirus. You could need 1 GB RAM on each computer instead of a single computer with 3 GB RAM. Apache can handle very high traffic with only 1 GB RAM. Of course you need to use latest version of everything to reduce your RAM needs. However you can't update apache, OS, php and other things in a shared hosting. Even 512mb RAM is more than enough for most websites if Godaddy gives the RAM for only apache. Usually websites are not limited by RAM. Disk speed and CPU are more critical in my opinion. Find SSD hosting if you have high traffic sites. SSD makes a big difference. Because when RAM is not enough, OS starts to write on swap partition of the disk. SSD accesses the files almost instantly.

•••
•••
Always prefer HostGator! Great experience!

•••
I have been using DreamHost and would recommend them.

•••
I am using Namecheap and the support is very good.

Last edited:
•••
better not to use hosting company that do overselling...

•••
I see that with hosting from compevo everything works like a clock. They are delivering reasonable deals with high stability of network and skilled support team.

•••
I used to own a hosting business which I sold when it reached ~300 clients. I'm now happily using CrocWeb for all my projects. They're fast, have fantastic uptime and offer good support (always quick to respond). They also have LetsEncypt on their cPanel servers which might be useful for your domain sales pages... ;)

•••
does hosting make a difference on google search anyone ?

•••
AISO.net
Not oversold, 100% solar and very inexpensive if purchasing three year term. Support is awesome!

•••
One and only "Godaddy". Have you Lack of programming or networking knowledge !! No problem. They have 24*7 customers support. Always recommend to all.

•••
Our company ( BalticServers.com ) is mostly orientated in business. Our support average answer time is 15min. We provide personal manager for every client, who can be reached by phone, skype, mail personally. I highly recommend to spend an extra 5min and have talk on our website chat or just text me with the questions.

•••
there are many hosting providers milesweb, hostoople, ssd india, arvixe and many more

•••
I started using Namecheap - they are really cheap and have free SSL. I had no issues till now (about a month.)
People say not to use a domain registrar as a hosting provider but I decided to try and am happy with them.

•••
I never recommended to use domain registrar for web hosting or registering domain with web hosting company else one day you will regret. This is not only happened with me but similar experience with lot of peoples.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back