NameSilo

discuss What gTLD failed you? For example, you stocked up for nothing.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

INFJ

I.T. Infrastructure EngineerTop Member
Impact
What gTLD failed you? For example, you stocked up for nothing.

I'll start. I jumped on the .vip bandwagon when it first dropped. I remember picking up "lounge.vip" which was appraised for several thousand by several members. Of course, stupid me, I hung onto it....'til the end.....the very end....as in $5 end. FML.

Your turn!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I thought I might add as a note that after deep discounting has ended and a bit of time passed an extension can recover reputation to some degree. We certainly saw this in .xyz that (I believe) was abused during the period of penny registrations many years ago, but now for years has been middle of the road or better in Spamhaus.

In terms of the former Famous Four extensions, they are not all the same, but now that more than a year has passed since the end of deep discounting their Spamhaus scores of .science are 8.9% with a score of 0.34 and .win is 10.9% with 0.55, both slightly better than the major legacy extensions. Most of the others are not yet as good with .men and .party, perhaps not surprisingly, the worst (scores of 1.76 and 1.49 which are much worse than .com).

Nevertheless the best lack of abuse tend to be extensions with constant or near constant fees, like .one and the Google extensions and a few others. The Spamhaus stats for all three of .app, .page and .dev are 0.1% bad with a score of 0.01, among the very best of all extensions, and orders of magnitude better than the dominant legacy ones. Clearly some registries do a better job than others.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
I thought I might add as a note that after deep discounting has ended and a bit of time passed an extension can recover reputation to some degree. We certainly saw this in .xyz that (I believe) was abused during the period of penny registrations many years ago, but now for years has been middle of the road or better in Spamhaus.
The XYZ is a very unusual gTLD, Bob,
Discounting is a very cynical numbers game for the registry in that a small percentage of the discounted domain names will renew. But XYZ seems to be a more diverse, in country of registrations, gTLD than others and there is underlying usage. It is also a truly generic TLD where many of the others are actually domain hacks. That domain hack nature where people will think that they have misheard and add ".com" to the domain name, will take a long time to overcome with the public

Nevertheless the best lack of abuse tend to be extensions with constant or near constant fees, like .one and the Google extensions and a few others. The Spamhaus stats for all three of .app, .page and .dev are 0.1% bad with a score of 0.01, among the very best of all extensions, and orders of magnitude better than the dominant legacy ones. Clearly some registries do a better job than others.
It is really a simple equation. Higher registration fees make disposable domain names of the type used for spamming too expensive for spammers and other bad actors.

Regards...jmcc

•••
This stats doesn't matter at all, how many templates here or there etc.

Only money in your pocket matters... so if no money with decent names - then "failed gTLD" (on aftermarket).
Very simple analytics.
Yep. But if you don't know the stats then you won't know if the game is rigged and you are just making the registry richer and yourself poorer. If the TLD is being actively developed by end-users then it will be a lot easier to sell a domain name than if the TLD was a wasteland of parking and "coming soon" pages.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Then when was the discount period? You just provided the graph of registrations without precisely mentioning the discount period, how can NPs here know how the registrations change before and after the discount period?
You have to look at the registrations before February 2016 and after. But this kind of information is not available to you except through graphs on various websites.

You gave .accountant as an example, then you must know very well about the gTLD including its discounted price.
My focus is on statistics and usage rather than pricing.

Then you must have the responsibility to give us the discounted price as well, not ask your opinion listeners to help you do research.
I provided the example for XYZ showing that it was available for 18 cents.

What you are doing is like not providing answers to audience in a seminar who ask you questions and telling the audience to do research themselves. Do you think it is a right conduct?
When it is simply trolling, yes.

I don't think you are capable as well. Your surveys are not credible if you use this approach to do your surveys.
You haven't a clue about web usage metrics. You haven't a clue about what web usage means. You don't understand what is being measured or the methodology. Try learning.

I did not troll, but you trolled many times before by saying the data I cited from credible sources are not data, repeatedly contradicting yourself and showing some data that are for no purpose.
You are trolling. You haven't cited any data. Merely posting links to a non-expert article about the latest Verisign Domain Name Industry Brief (that's where Business Wire got its figure) and NTLDstats is not providing data.

Then that are the detected data, which are qualified to support my argument.
There is a big difference between reported data and detected data. The former is dependent on the accuracy of the sources and their methodology. The latter on the methodology. The DNS abuse report focused on DNS abuse. Webspam is not considered DNS abuse.

My argument is based on improper web uses, not limited to web spam, so the report can be used to support my argument.
Your "argument" is simply that you think that you are the smartest person on the thread for simply having an opinion about how smart you are. It is not based on any data and providing any data to show that you are wrong will simply be ignored.

I know that templated content includes PPC landers, sales landers and affiliate landers.
Well that's a step in the right direction. But here's the important thing: different TLDs have different levels of web usage.

You used .web as an example to give a reply to my opinion: "If the economics of the dominant markets worsen, it makes the registrars gain less, not fails a gTLD." (post no. 244)
No. I used WED not WEB. The WEB gTLD has not even launched yet. Perhaps like your being unaware of ACCOUNTANT, you didn't realise that either.

Regards...jmcc

•••
I am not sure how critical information on past price of .accountant is, but since it was asked about above, you can see past discounting using the history graph at TLD-List. Here is the link for accountant then scroll down to bottom and shows previous few years of best registration, transfer and renewal rates. In this case $0.48+$0.18 at Namecheap registration was best much of the time but you can see the big jump more than a year ago when deep discounting of former FFM extensions was abandoned.
https://tld-list.com/tld/accountant
Bob

•••
If the TLD is being actively developed by end-users then it will be a lot easier to sell a domain name than if the TLD was a wasteland of parking and "coming soon" pages.
Many domains I sold - still parked... even years elapsed - but they on nameservers set by me (Bodis/ParkingCrew).
A lot of endusers are buying domains just to have them or for future development.

Last edited:
•••
.xyz is horribly miserable performance .

•••
new
You have to look at the registrations before February 2016 and after. But this kind of information is not available to you except through graphs on various websites.

Thank you for your info. Hope you did not deduce the discount period from the graph.

I provided the example for XYZ showing that it was available for 18 cents.

Don't troll again by not answering my question. Please read my question carefully. I asked you the discounted price of .accountant, not .xyz. You should say a big thanks to Bob who helped you answer.

You haven't a clue about web usage metrics. You haven't a clue about what web usage means. You don't understand what is being measured or the methodology. Try learning.

I know all of these, but not your surveys. Your surveys are not made by any authority and have no transparency. No one knows the methodology of the surveys, no one knows how you define a lander as adult/gambling related, and no one can verify the accuracy of your surveys. You need to try very best to learn how to be credible, otherwise your surveys have little to no value in spite of your huge effort in making the surveys.

You are trolling. You haven't cited any data. Merely posting links to a non-expert article about the latest Verisign Domain Name Industry Brief (that's where Business Wire got its figure) and NTLDstats is not providing data.

Business Wire is the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure, which is much more credible than you. Also, the article author cited figures from the most reliable source (Verisign), which is much more reliable than the source of your surveys. I cited a data from the article as data for my deduction. Besides, there are historical number of registrations from the graph titled "new gTLD Domains" on NTLDstats. The earliest data of the graph is as of 1 Feb, 2014. Please have a careful look.

Please stop trolling again. Try your best to learn to be a credible person.

There is a big difference between reported data and detected data. The former is dependent on the accuracy of the sources and their methodology. The latter on the methodology. The DNS abuse report focused on DNS abuse. Webspam is not considered DNS abuse.

The report is reporting of detected data. I said many times before that my argument (.com improper web usage is more than and have a greater impact than ngTLD improper web usage) is not based on solely web spam, but also other kinds of improper web usage, so the report supports my argument. Please stop trolling.

Your "argument" is simply that you think that you are the smartest person on the thread for simply having an opinion about how smart you are. It is not based on any data and providing any data to show that you are wrong will simply be ignored.

I think you are describing yourself. While there are data more credible than you that oppose your opinion, you say they are not data or just simply ignore them. Also, you enjoy showing your surveys that have no credibility in an attempt to show how smart you are. But in fact, you are only smart in trolling by ignoring credible data, repeatedly contradicting yourself, repeatedly providing irrelevant info, and repeatedly not answering questions that the answers oppose your belief or understanding.

Well that's a step in the right direction. But here's the important thing: different TLDs have different levels of web usage.

I am always in the right direction. Just you are still not in the right direction by saying credible data are not data, unreasonably challenging my reasoning and mentioning many irrelevant info.

No. I used WED not WEB. The WEB gTLD has not even launched yet. Perhaps like your being unaware of ACCOUNTANT, you didn't realise that either.

It is a typo. It should be .wed. Thanks for correcting me about the typo. But you should thank me to provide you an opportunity to troll by not answering my question. As you don't quote my question in your reply, I guess you want to troll me by escaping from answering my question that the answer may oppose your opinion. Let me quote here: "Then the failure of .wed is caused by economic worsening of dominant markets? If not, I don't understand the purpose of showing it as an example and you troll again by showing info that are completely irrelevant."

Please answer.

•••
Can you continue this battle DIRECTLY (DM)???

•••
•••
•••
Thankfully I didn't buy in to the GTLD hype train when it was happening.

I have seen some nice GTLD sales though but I am sure the percentages are low compared to how many domains were actually registered.

-Omar

•••
30-40% of all inbound inquiries to nTLDs are coming from the USA from my experience.
And Afternic doesn't report anything - as we know.
Just for consideration.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back