IT.COM

What exactly is this likely domain scam about?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I'm not new to the domain business but would still appreciate some input from NPers. I have started to receive short, politely worded emails asking if a particular domain is for sale. The emails are all signed by a variety of generically bland English/North American names. Think "Tom Brown", "Jane Smith" etc. The email goes on to offer me $5000 (example) for this domain if it is for sale. Yes, indeed it IS for sale, and says so quite clearly on the landing page, along with a BIN price of $4000! So why offer me a $1000 more??

In the infinitesimally small chance that this is a genuine offer, I reply very briefly directing them to the domain landing page and ask them to deal with the marketplace brokers/agents. So is this email just another opening gambit in the Domain Appraisal scam? A phishing trip? Or what is it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
go along with it as long as you choose the escrow service not them ;) be smart about it

•••
Escrow here to save you 🎯

Last edited:
•••
This is probably some bot collecting emails to pitch you some ''advanced'' scam or resell the database later.

•••
I got several repetitive emails asking for a domain, and if it was for sale. I created a Dan landing page, directed them there and then didnt hear from them again

•••
Escrow here to save you 🎯
unless you use one of the few known escrow companies, you will get robbed even if you did your research.

•••
I got several repetitive emails asking for a domain, and if it was for sale. I created a Dan landing page, directed them there and then didnt hear from them again
Oh indeed! Any time I've directed these "buyers" to the landing pages on BB etc, I never have any follow-up! I just wish I knew what they are trying to do. The bot harvesting emails sounded a possibility...

•••
Either appraisal scam or fake escrow service.

•••
To ovoid scam :

- Don't use Paypal if you do not know the buyer, Paypal can be charged back
- Use safe marketplace like Sedo, Afternic, Dan, Godaddy. The buyer will pay to the marketplace, and the marketplace will ask your domain. The marketplace will pay you after they accept your domain. This will prevent you from being charged back
- Use Escrow like Escrow.com. Avoid using buyer sugested Escrow that might be fake. And if it is about big money, use Concierce service at Escrow. If you do not using Concierce service and the buyer said they didn't accepted the domain, Escrow will not released your money

Some scam models :
- Payment charged back
- Asking paid appraisal in fake service
- Asking to use Escrow, but fake Escrow service
- Seller report a stolen domain after accepting domain, and paid by Crypto
- Payment paid, you send the domain, but the buyer confirming not accept the domain to Escrow service, so the Escrow will not release the payment to the seller
- Offer someone else domain without the owner permission

Last edited:
•••
This is a very common scam, but not a particularly dangerous one. The idea is to persuade you to register a number of overpriced

•••
To ovoid scam :

- Don't use Paypal if you do not know the buyer, Paypal can be charged back
- Use safe marketplace like Sedo, Afternic, Dan, Godaddy. The buyer will pay to the marketplace, and the marketplace will ask your domain. The marketplace will pay you after they accept your domain. This will prevent you from being charged back
Are there some marketplaces, unlike the the ones you mentioned, that are having significant issues with Paypal chargebacks? Recently, one registrar was reporting delays in providing Paypal refunds. It was curious to me whether they were being overwhelmed with payback issues.

Perhaps, for our original poster, they could clarify if the lander was for a marketplace other than the ones you mentioned?

I have started to receive short, politely worded emails asking if a particular domain is for sale. The emails are all signed by a variety of generically bland English/North American names. Think "Tom Brown", "Jane Smith" etc. The email goes on to offer me $5000 (example) for this domain if it is for sale. Yes, indeed it IS for sale, and says so quite clearly on the landing page, along with a BIN price of $4000! So why offer me a $1000 more??
Please consider also whether you would benefit by switching your email account. The amount of spam email was incredible with AOL. With Gmail, it is pure bliss. They appear to do an incredible job screening out spam. And, if one comes through despite their efforts you can report it.

Being blacklisted is not a trivial matter. If spammers or crooks are trying to get you, Google may be very good at getting back at them.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back