IT.COM

What domain metrics to look for when looking for traffic

NameSilo
Watch

Splinter2016

Established Member
Impact
Hi everyone, this is my first post on namepros :)
For the domain experts out there... I am looking at buying domains to park.
What qualities are best to look for to know whether it has organic traffic going to it?

I bought a name that has an Alexa rank in the 200,000 mark and tested the traffic and im only getting around 2 uniques per day! So I dont know what happen there but it does have a trust flow of 2 and citation of 30.

Does high trust flow and equal citation flow mean better organic traffic?
For instance I found an adult domain with a TF 20 and CF 20 that im thinking of buying... what is the likelyhood of it getting traffic?

Looking forward to your responses

Splinter

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Don't go chasing waterfalls now.

•••
Nice! Care to share the affiliate company you are working with and whether you have made any money out of it so far?
Currently I'm working as a freelancer and certainly I've already earned revenue on this.

•••
There's one real risk with this strategy from pokerdawg - which is that, the domains that you buy will most likely have 0 value, outside of their potential parking revenues. You might get a low sale once in a while, when the previous owner wants to get the domain name back - but otherwise, these sorts of domains are usually not good at all.

I followed a similar strategy previously, based on backlinks, and was able to convert some of them into earning websites, but at this point, I've dropped 99% of those domains already.

Splinter, TF & CF could be useful indicators if you use them right.

Think of "Trust Flow" as the "Trust" or "Quality" of the backlinks coming in.

Citation Flow is the number of backlinks coming in.

If you have TF = 2 and CF = 30, that means you have a domain with a LOT of sh*tty backlinks. The domain was heavily spammed with crappy backlinks in the past and won't do well with SEO.

Hopefully this helps!

•••
Currently I'm working as a freelancer and certainly I've already earned revenue on this.

What sort of freelance work do you do? I might be able to use your services :)

There's one real risk with this strategy from pokerdawg - which is that, the domains that you buy will most likely have 0 value, outside of their potential parking revenues. You might get a low sale once in a while, when the previous owner wants to get the domain name back - but otherwise, these sorts of domains are usually not good at all.

I followed a similar strategy previously, based on backlinks, and was able to convert some of them into earning websites, but at this point, I've dropped 99% of those domains already.

Yes, that's what I thought. I followed an Alexa ranking for the decision on buying a domain and it failed miserably. I'm pretty sure it could have been faked. Right now my Chinese domain states that it is ranking under 250,000 in the world for domain names yet I havent had one unique visitor!

•••
For traffic prediction, you need to take PR and divide it to your birthday date. This is the surest way.

LMAO..By far the funniest comment I have read on namepros so far.

BTW Splinter, welcome to namepros.

•••
Thanks Vaibhava :)

Yes golan is a character.

Do you all make much of a living off this domain hobby?

•••
Do you all make much of a living off this domain hobby?

Hey Splinter,

Welcome again.

How much do others make? Cant say. How much do I make? Dont want to say. But after 20 years of work experience in various fields, I can only say, its lucrative.

I appreciate your asking, I dont see any harm in it, infact, I found lots to learn from this thread. You are using a great approach by asking before burning your fingers. I have burnt my fingers even after and before asking. Honestly, if you want to learn to swim, you ll have to jump into the water.

There is no guarantee whos or what approach will suit you most. You may take as many opinions but ultimately you ll have to device your own unique way of filtering domains.

Hope you do well and may we all grow.

Happy domaining.

•••
In my opinion, that thread was a bit to much for the first post. People have different parameters to look in domains for parking purposes. They are quite convergent at the end of the day. Your question in the first post was like: "I know youve spent several months, years searching for a gold in Ghana, but I would like to know coordinates on a Google map, because Ive decided I will find it."

Fantastic explanation of the difficulties in finding domains to park. If newer folks like myself want to know about parking, this is the first thing they should be told. Bravo.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back