IT.COM

What does ClientHold mean?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I saw this Domain status: clientHold and i don't really understand what it means. I did a search on the term yet i still don't get it. Can somebody explain to me?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
"status: CLIENT HOLD" is EPP equivalent of "status: REGISTRAR-HOLD":

The registrar of the domain sets the domain to this status. The domain can not be modified or deleted when in this status. The registrar MUST remove REGISTRAR-HOLD status to modify the domain. The domain can be renewed. The domain SHALL NOT be included in the zone file when in this status.

See this page for detailed explanation.

•••
Midano said:
"status: CLIENT HOLD" is EPP equivalent of "status: REGISTRAR-HOLD":

The registrar of the domain sets the domain to this status. The domain can not be modified or deleted when in this status. The registrar MUST remove REGISTRAR-HOLD status to modify the domain. The domain can be renewed. The domain SHALL NOT be included in the zone file when in this status.

See this page for detailed explanation.

So does it means that this domain will go into pendingrenewal and pendingdelete?

•••
yes it will go into that pending restore IF AND ONLY IF the old owner does not renew it within that stipulated time period of 30 days

•••
Actually what it means is that the domain is suspended (often for legal or compliance reasons). The domains is removed from the zone files and has no authoritative name servers. Therefore it stops functionning.
If it expires, it could then drop the ordinary way but the situation could drag on for a long time.

•••
sdsinc said:
Actually what it means is that the domain is suspended (often for legal or compliance reasons). The domains is removed from the zone files and has no authoritative name servers. Therefore it stops functionning.
If it expires, it could then drop the ordinary way but the situation could drag on for a long time.

I think this could be the answer but what kind of legal or compliance reason? Can the owner renew the domain?

•••
kahsoon said:
I think this could be the answer but what kind of legal or compliance reason? Can the owner renew the domain?

Legal or compliance issues may include, but not limited, to:

1. Violating any term of your registrar's registration agreement such as invalid
WHOIS, using the domain name for phishing, billing disputes, etc.

2. Court order.

And yes, the owner can renew the domain name. S/he just can't modify any
of the domain name's registration record (e.g. transfer ownership, change any
contact details, etc.).

•••
Back