IT.COM

discuss What criteria do you use to make higher value purchases?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lega.cy

Established Member
Impact
Happy Saturday all,

It's probably natural that as a domain investor grows their portfolio and reinvests their profits, the ideal state is moving toward a higher value domain names.

We often hear that there are multiple paths to consider when investing into domains, for me personally I class them in these bracket :

a) < $500
Where: Hand regs, close outs & no/low bid auctions
Type: Probably made up brandable words, 2-word .com unrelated combinations, various extensions
Low-mid entry cost, high risk, high ROI

Examples: AssistX.com, PolarRace.com, Clipsa.com

b) $500 - $2,000
Where: On secondary - auctions, expired, buy-nows
Type: Pronounceable brandables, 2-word related combinations
Mid-entry, medium risk, higher reward in absolute numbers

Examples: UltimateHomes.com, BTCmag.com

c) $2,000 - $10,000
Where: On secondary - auctions, expired, buy-nows, private purchases
Type: Likely 2-word related combinations, starting to actually be EMD with existing mass awareness

Examples: IPTech.com, FineWines.com, SafetySystems.com

d) $10,000 - $30,000
Where: On secondary - auctions, expired, buy-nows, private purchases
Type: strong 2-word related combinations, Dictionary 1 word + ing/ed/s

Examples: MyList.com, Crowdsourcing.com, Maximal.com

The first two paths one gets more "shots on target", able to build at least quantity wise a larger portfolio, spread the risk and benefit from hopefully frequent lower-value sales that can be reinvested.

Question for those who have moved toward bracket C & D:

What criteria do you use to determine the current value of the domain you're buying (i.e you are buying it at a price where as an investor you have a safe risk/reward profile)

Would love to hear your thoughts,

Thanks,

Al

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
And what criteria did you use to estimate them the way you estimated, across all four columns?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back