IT.COM

What CPU would you go with?

NameSilo
Watch
Hello all,

I am deciding between 2 different servers. The sites I have are low end. What one would you get?

Intel Cel 2Gh (or higher)
512MB RAM
2 x 80GB Drive
1000GB BW
Cpanel/WHM/Fantastico

**OR**

AMD Semp2600 (or higher)
512MB RAM
80GB SATA Drive
1000GB BW
Cpanel/WHM/Fantastico

If I am somewhat correct the CPU's are close. What about the HD's? I know one has 80 gig more :) but what about speed? What doe SATA have over IDE....is it that much or is it close also, like the CPU's?

What one would you do.....CEL or AMD? I guess I am looking for the most power and resouscres...

And if you can tell me in a few words WHY?

Regards,
RickyG

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
RickyG said:
Hello all,

I am deciding between 2 different servers. The sites I have are low end. What one would you get?

512MB RAM
2 x 80GB Drive
1000GB BW
Cpanel/WHM/Fantastico

**OR**

AMD Semp2600 (or higher)
512MB RAM
80GB SATA Drive
1000GB BW
Cpanel/WHM/Fantastico

If I am somewhat correct the CPU's are close. What about the HD's? I know one has 80 gig more :) but what about speed? What doe SATA have over IDE....is it that much or is it close also, like the CPU's?

What one would you do.....CEL or AMD? I guess I am looking for the most power and resouscres...

Regards,
RickyG

Anything but Celeron.. Trust me they run like P2's, Sempron is a nice processor. When you go lower into the Celerons go with AMD. Whenyou get into the P4's (AMD = Athlons, Burons) go with Intel and when you get into Dual Xeon go with Opertons.

iNod.

•••
Thank you iNod !!

Happy Holidays !

•••
AMD Sempron compared to celeron huh!

Celeron is extremely slow ... i'd suggest go with AMD

•••
•••
•••
yup amd, only good pent i know is the p4 and pentium dual

•••
Next question
CentOS 3.X
CentOS 4.X

OR...???
I have all of the usuall choices. It just seems I hear more of CentOS...

•••
CentOS 3.5 is a nice OS.. I personally prefer to have the most upgraded version due to Kernal upgrades and security upgrades. So I recommand. 4.2 (or 4.x)

iNod.

•••
Although, you could also go with Redhat 9, but I'm guessing they'd charge you extra. Fedora Core 3 isn't bad either. Both if you really want to go with CentOS, go with the latest version.

•••
I wouldn't suggest Fedora as it is mainly used as a personal OS.

Same idea when choosing a windows platform, you'd pick Windows 2003 server instead of Windows XP.

•••
jmweb said:
I wouldn't suggest Fedora as it is mainly used as a personal OS.

Same idea when choosing a windows platform, you'd pick Windows 2003 server instead of Windows XP.

Fedora is a very commonly used OS actually for servers as well as personal computers. Redhat is a problem waiting to happen. That is version 9 and 8. Due to the fact Redhat is no longer being worked on. (They have abandoned it due to they now charge for Redhat Linux Enterprise. If you are willing to pay get Redhat Linux Enterprise. It is the best Linux OS out there currently)

iNod.

•••
iNod said:
RickyG said:
Hello all,

512MB RAM
2 x 80GB Drive
1000GB BW
Cpanel/WHM/Fantastico

**OR**

AMD Semp2600 (or higher)
512MB RAM
80GB SATA Drive
1000GB BW
Cpanel/WHM/Fantastico

Regards,
RickyG

Anything but Celeron.. Trust me they run like P2's, Sempron is a nice processor. When you go lower into the Celerons go with AMD. Whenyou get into the P4's (AMD = Athlons, Burons) go with Intel and when you get into Dual Xeon go with Opertons.

iNod.

i agree that going with the AMD Sempron would be the best choice and that Opterons are better than Xeons but why do you think that Pentium 4's are better than AMD's Athlon 64 for example. even if you were talking about the Athlon XP, i would go with an Athlon XP over a Pentium 4. Netburst blows, they are just crippled CPUs with basically nothing going for them except a large cache. For now i would say for any CPU purchases or and debate between equally priced CPUs or competing CPUs go with AMD. that should all change though when Intel comes out with Napa :D

•••
ApocComputing said:
i agree that going with the AMD Sempron would be the best choice and that Opterons are better than Xeons but why do you think that Pentium 4's are better than AMD's Athlon 64 for example. even if you were talking about the Athlon XP, i would go with an Athlon XP over a Pentium 4. Netburst blows, they are just crippled CPUs with basically nothing going for them except a large cache. For now i would say for any CPU purchases or and debate between equally priced CPUs or competing CPUs go with AMD. that should all change though when Intel comes out with Napa :D

Well to tell you the truth I just didn't want to get people in a 5 page story aruging about wether AMD is better or Intel is better or whatever. So I did AMD,Intel,AMD :P Personally I am a AMD guy.

iNod.

•••
iNod said:
Personally I am a AMD guy.

yay! lol

i wonder if they will stay my favorite though, intel is coming out with some pretty cool CPUs :=][ <cool smiley

•••
ApocComputing said:
yay! lol

i wonder if they will stay my favorite though, intel is coming out with some pretty cool CPUs :=][ <cool smiley

Meh.. I had a Intel and my processor caught on fire because apparently the system fan that came with it was "broken" and when I turned it on it never started up.. I never relised until I had windows up and I looked down a core cell to find my CPU temp was 86.. I almost died.. Than my system went blank.. It caught on fire within 19 seconds from startuping.. LOL.. I phone Intel and apparently they had no warrenty against it and hung up.. From that day on I will never use Intel again :)

Besides.. The AMD casebadge looks TEN times better than Intel...

:)

Last edited:
•••
iNod said:
ApocComputing said:
yay! lol

Meh.. I had a Intel and my processor caught on fire because apparently the system fan that came with it was "broken" and when I turned it on it never started up.. I never relised until I had windows up and I looked down a core cell to find my CPU temp was 86.. I almost died.. Than my system went blank.. It caught on fire within 19 seconds from startuping.. LOL.. I phone Intel and apparently they had no warrenty against it and hung up.. From that day on I will never use Intel again :)

Besides.. The AMD casebadge looks TEN times better than Intel...

:)

talk about some new years fireworks :O

•••
urlhost said:

Got that right.. Oh well I had fun :) I got my money back from the merchant but Intel would not pay for my motherboard which the processor destoryed :(

iNod..

•••
haha. i am looking forward to the new apples. i have had enough of windows, it's annoying having to reinstall everything every few months to get the full value of my hardware. apple does have its disadvantages but i think Vista is going to suck nuT$. anxiously awaiting merom, leopard, all on a good ol powerbook :)

•••
iNod said:
urlhost said:

Got that right.. Oh well I had fun :) I got my money back from the merchant but Intel would not pay for my motherboard which the processor destoryed :(

iNod..
im glad you got your money back i was gonna say lol

•••
Anything but Celeron.. Trust me they run like P2's, Sempron is a nice processor.
Thats a pretty impressive statement, i'm guessing you have some form of benchmark to back that up?, instead of just making obvious incorrect assumptions like that

I personally prefer to have the most upgraded version due to Kernal upgrades and security upgrades. So I recommand. 4.2 (or 4.x)
This also doesn't make sense, an updated kernel is no reason to update your entire OS versioning tree. Kernels are cross-compatible for a reason

If you are willing to pay get Redhat Linux Enterprise. It is the best Linux OS out there currently
Again wrong, Gentoo is by far the most flexible and powerful linux flavour available. You cannot say EL is the best OS available, when Redhat have attempted to purchase portage from gentoo on more than one occasion, the whole point behind linux is secure, open-source software - RHEL defies that on every level

I'm new here and I hardy want me first post to be offensive in any way. But the fact everything you have said in this thread is completely contradictory of common logic, I thought this is as gooder place as any to start.

Thank you.

•••
celerons are based of the p2 core... They have everything except the l2 cache. Although the celeron may have a higher ghz.. go wit the amd... however, i highly prefer intels newest Xeon, or Viiv.. Even a P4

•••
Bilco105 said:
Thats a pretty impressive statement, i'm guessing you have some form of benchmark to back that up?, instead of just making obvious incorrect assumptions like that

This also doesn't make sense, an updated kernel is no reason to update your entire OS versioning tree. Kernels are cross-compatible for a reason

Again wrong, Gentoo is by far the most flexible and powerful linux flavour available. You cannot say EL is the best OS available, when Redhat have attempted to purchase portage from gentoo on more than one occasion, the whole point behind linux is secure, open-source software - RHEL defies that on every level

I'm new here and I hardy want me first post to be offensive in any way. But the fact everything you have said in this thread is completely contradictory of common logic, I thought this is as gooder place as any to start.

Thank you.

Why must you pick apart my post for absolutly no reason. Do you have a benchmark to back your statement up. I have one to back up my Celeron VS Sempron statement.

Generally the reason behind an updated version is updated kernal. As well it could also be updates for other things aswell.

Gentoo is a very nice OS but too bad there is like 2 server sellers which allow it. Gentoo is not very good with servers and RHEL does not go with the idea of Free. But it is a very good OS. Mind you everything I say and probley everything you say is bias due to the fact we both have not tried all linux os's

iNod.

•••
Bilco105 said:

Thank you.

dude thats pretty funny eh... gentoo imho is a horrible linux distrib for servers.. Its like ubuntu. I prefer fendora (based of redhat) or even centos... Ive had bad expirecnces with gentoo.

ALso, not too be mean, but gooder isnt a word.

•••
iNod said:
Why must you pick apart my post for absolutly no reason. Do you have a benchmark to back your statement up. I have one to back up my Celeron VS Sempron statement.

Generally the reason behind an updated version is updated kernal. As well it could also be updates for other things aswell.

Gentoo is a very nice OS but too bad there is like 2 server sellers which allow it. Gentoo is not very good with servers and RHEL does not go with the idea of Free. But it is a very good OS. Mind you everything I say and probley everything you say is bias due to the fact we both have not tried all linux os's

iNod.
I picked it apart because from my point of view, it was factually incorrect, you would have done so if I had made an incorrect statement about something you know lots about, it was nothing personal.

I didn't make a statement in regard to CPU performance, you are welcome to quote me if I did. What I did say however, is do you have any benchmarks showing a celeron perform equal to, if not less than a p2.

I am a full time server administrator and software developer, so over the years I have tried operating systems from SuSe all the way down to Fedora, performing benchmarks on all. Gentoo, due to its flexibility out-performed all known operating systems apart from SuSe, so whether it be used for server or desktop is irrelevant, as the performance is solely based around how you compile it.
gentoo imho is a horrible linux distrib for servers
Why is it a horrible distribution for servers... because your beloved cPanel does not support it?
ALso, not too be mean, but gooder isnt a word.
Neithers fendora:)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back